Ohio Judge rules that state must recognize same sex marriage

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ohio Judge rules that state must recognize same sex marriage

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GAY_MARRIAGE_LAWSUIT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

A federal judge in Ohio ruled that local officials must recognize a gay marriage performed in Maryland. The Judge ruled under the Equal Protection clause that since as a rule the state recognizes marriages performed in other states that would be illegal within the state (such as first cousins) that it could not discriminate based on sexual orientation. This will be an interesting legal argument that is no doubt going to make it to the Supreme Court in the not so distant future. Legally, I think both sides have persuasive arguments and if I were a judge I really don't know how I would rule. I suspect in the long run gay marriage will gain recognition in all 50 states and I would prefer that happen legislatively rather than through judicial edict. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
In a perfect world...

But like interracial marriage, in our not so perfect world, some states will have to be forced to allow gay marriage.

And it isn't likely to be voted for in Congress at the moment as there are too many wack jobs holding office.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.