Iowa woman fired for being too attractive

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Iowa woman fired for being too attractive

The dentist fired her because he thought she was too attractive and he was at risk of an affair.

The Iowa supreme court upheld the decision of the firing being legal

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/12/iowa-supreme-court-attractive-woman-firing_n_3586861.html

Peggotty
atheist
Peggotty's picture
User is offlineOffline
higher power

“Knight’s wife, who worked in the same dental office was also threatened by Nelson’s good looks and insisted that she be fired.”

Wonder if the man at the top was bowing to a much higher power!

Also, if you look at the list of legally protected characteristics for employment discrimination, there is sex, race, and religion among those traits but a person's "attractiveness" is not a legally protected trait and that's why she got a bad deal.

Oh, but Peggotty, you haven't given Mr. Barkis his proper answer, you know.
Charles Dickens

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
 WTF! really?! The US stuns

WTF! really?! The US stuns me sometimes, how unfair can be...

How the hell did the court support this?! I don't see this happening in Europe.

She isn't even that hot! I mean look at the news host! Caroline! Now she IS hot!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm quite sure the wife was

I'm quite sure the wife was wholly responsible for this. Her insecurity drove her to accuse her husband constantly of desiring or participating in an affair, and eventually she made it clear that either the assistant was let go or the marriage would end. Hence the threat to the marriage was quite real, if contrived.

I have to agree with the court, insofar as things go. Hardly a good ending, but the end of a marriage has real and significant financial liabilities which are not matched by the loss of a job.

I don't think the assistant will be too put out. She gets to put on her resume that the reason her last job ended was because she was too attractive. Not the worst thing to have there.

Of course, getting rid of the institution of marriage would solve the whole thing, but that's not happening any time soon.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

RobbyPants
atheist
RobbyPants's picture
User is offlineOffline
This whole thing is really

This whole thing is really weird. For sake of argument, let's assume that he is telling the truth, and this isn't all his wife's fault. It's nice that the guy recognizes his own weakness and is being proactive, but at the end of the day, the problem is with him, not the assistant. Sure, she might be "triggering" his weakness, but he is firing someone else because he's afraid he can't control himself. I understand that he can't just leave his own practice, but this isn't fair at all to her.

Imagine if the dentist were a recovering alcoholic, and the assistant's name were Sue Miller. It would be very weird if he fired her because her last name is the same as his favorite brand of beer, and he's afraid that seeing it all day long will trigger a relapse. That's the exact same logic he used. The only difference is he gets to play some sort of moral high ground card because he's not cheating on his wife.

Peggotty
atheist
Peggotty's picture
User is offlineOffline
RobbiePants wrote:This whole

RobbiePants wrote:
This whole thing is really weird. For sake of argument, let's assume that he is telling the truth, and this isn't all his wife's fault. It's nice that the guy recognizes his own weakness and is being proactive, but at the end of the day, the problem is with him, not the assistant. Sure, she might be "triggering" his weakness, but he is firing someone else because he's afraid he can't control himself. I understand that he can't just leave his own practice, but this isn't fair at all to her.

Yes, it’s like ‘tempting eyes’ in Saudi Arabia.

RobbiePants wrote:
Imagine if the dentist were a recovering alcoholic, and the assistant's name were Sue Miller. It would be very weird if he fired her because her last name is the same as his favorite brand of beer, and he's afraid that seeing it all day long will trigger a relapse. That's the exact same logic he used. The only difference is he gets to play some sort of moral high ground card because he's not cheating on his wife.

Again, you’re right.  So do you argue, as the employer, it was wrong for him to find this loophole in the law to free his business from someone who’s face no longer fits?

Oh, but Peggotty, you haven't given Mr. Barkis his proper answer, you know.
Charles Dickens

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Life isn't fair,

Life isn't fair, especially when you have humans picking which other humans they want to be around all day long. I don't see why people think there should be some difference between the freedom to hire or fire anyone you want and your freedom to invite them into or kick them out of your house. Whether those reasons are silly to others or not, people ought to have that freedom.

And obviously physical attractiveness plays a role in the hiring process, that is why people dress up for interviews. An interviewer is greatly influenced by whether or not they like the person and physical attractiveness, personality and all those other things we routinely use to judge people when we first meet them plays a role. There is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Peggotty wrote:RobbiePants

Peggotty wrote:

RobbiePants wrote:

Yes, it’s like ‘tempting eyes’ in Saudi Arabia.

Not really because she worked for him for many years. This was more than "wow she is hot I want to fuck her", this was feelings that were developed over a long period of time. I have had married women put an end to my friendships with them because they started developing feelings towards me that they were afraid they would act on. It is simply natural that when people who are attracted to each other spend every single day in close quarters that those desires start to develop and it isn't exactly easy to just ignore them or turn them off. If you are one of those crazy people who thinks it is a good idea to devote yourself to monogamy, the intelligent thing to do is to distance yourself from people you develop those types of feelings for. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

RobbyPants
atheist
RobbyPants's picture
User is offlineOffline
Peggotty wrote:RobbiePants

Peggotty wrote:

RobbiePants wrote:

Again, you’re right.  So do you argue, as the employer, it was wrong for him to find this loophole in the law to free his business from someone who’s face no longer fits?

Generally I'd say yes, in that she's being punished for his perceived shortcomings. 

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Penalized .. WHAT A PROBLEM TO HAVE, Huh ?

Penalized ?

Attn .-- 0P's 

To be true as the tide. And, free as the wind-swell. Joyful and loving in letting it be

See :: Must See :: YouTube video . . .

(( My blood runs cold, my memory has just been sold .. A former Miss America, that relinquished the title after a scandal of a nude of her.  She  played  Calypso in a Nbc Mini-series))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35x_rwyBh-8

(( Edit :: If broken link cut-en-paste this in  a YouTube ..com/watch?v=ZgsUXUBpS8Q ))

p.s. -- It must suck to be "type-casted" ..  Best Remembered in the nudie magazines, I found in trivia (online). Evermore, The die was cast, such a shame, such a shame!!