Colombian singer Shakira was becoming an Agnostic, but regained her belief

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Colombian singer Shakira was becoming an Agnostic, but regained her belief

In an interview from Elle magazine

Shakira wrote:

I think, if you can prove the existence of God, it can only be proven through love. I even had lost my faith for a while. I was becoming as agnostic. And it was really hard, because I was always very religious, and for a few years, maybe because—it sounds so corny—I was not feeling the love like it was supposed to be, I started to think that there was no God. And suddenly I meet Gerard and the sun comes out.

emotional reasoning much?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Here's the

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
what do you want?  the

what do you want?  the majority of celebrities are stupid because

a. intelligent people tend to have a great deal of pride and that makes them less likely to do the shit necessary to become world-famous, and

b. the majority of the population is less than intelligent and most stupid people don't want to see intelligent people advance. 

i wouldn't even care that much if they just wouldn't try to act like they're so fucking smart.  i mean, look at madonna.  that bitch is one of the dumbest people on the planet but she tries soooo hard to look of above-average intelligence.  speaking as a teacher of english as a second language with five years of experience, i strongly suspect she buys vocabulary-building books.  not that there's anything wrong with that, except for the fact that i'm pretty sure she's motivated solely by her insecurity.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 This is just my opinion

This is just my opinion but because celebrities have become very successful and recognized for their talents, they also might tend to have that "I am blessed" feeling.  We see stars who came from poverty act completely different at the top of the ladder (ie NBA strike).  They often lose touch with their less than affluent roots, the people who are down and out on their luck from their childhood and see things through rose colored glasses.  Like "look at the goodness god has bestowed upon me."  We hear this chatter at awards shows.  Obviously this isn't the entirety of celebrity culture, I just think there might be a tendency there.

Let me know if Shakira comes back to reality, I'd love to add her to Celebrity atheists.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Equating the existence

of a supernatural, exo-universal first cause to the satisfaction of an individual limbic system is self obsessed and plain dumb. 

Still. There's something fuzzy about equating god with human love that suggests even if she's being thoughtless, she's not a bad person. 

Hopefully the relationship goes ok for her sake. By her logic, if the guy's a total arsehole she'll become a mil-spec atheist. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: This is just

Sapient wrote:

This is just my opinion but because celebrities have become very successful and recognized for their talents, they also might tend to have that "I am blessed" feeling.  We see stars who came from poverty act completely different at the top of the ladder (ie NBA strike).  They often lose touch with their less than affluent roots, the people who are down and out on their luck from their childhood and see things through rose colored glasses.  Like "look at the goodness god has bestowed upon me."  We hear this chatter at awards shows.  Obviously this isn't the entirety of celebrity culture, I just think there might be a tendency there.

Let me know if Shakira comes back to reality, I'd love to add her to Celebrity atheists.

Not that she will read this, but here is my argument to her.

Ok, you hit the jackpot. That makes a god real? Then if that is the case the sun is a god because the Ancient Egyptians falsely believed it for 3,000 years. They also attributed their "fortune" and "true love" to a god as well.

Emotional reasons for buying any claim are good ways to conduct a scam or set you up for disappointment when things don't work out.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog