Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Greatest I am
Greatest I am's picture
User is offlineOffline

People who believe in the barbaric human blood sacrifice of the Triune Jesus/God must believe that the greatest force ever to exist decided that humans, lowly creations whom we are told are infinitely inferior to God, are somehow more important than God’s own life and that he would give it up for believers.

That is like a slave master dying in place of his slave. A rather silly notion to me.

Jesus preached that we should develop a humble character with little self-pride.

How is placing your own life above Triune Jesus/God’s showing a humble character as you think that he would die for you? That is taking self-pride to the maximum.

I think that those with good morals will know that no noble and gracious God would demand the sacrifice of a so called son just to prove it's benevolence.

Yet Christians who think they are moral will believe that God would do such a despicable thing as having his son killed even as scriptures say that God prefers repentance to sacrifice and does not believe in asking or accepting a ransom.

Is thinking that to believe that God would die for you the epitome of an inflated ego?

If not, what could possibly inflate an ego more than that?

Regards
DL

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not his own son btw.

I never heard it put quite that way before, but you are right.  There is no evidence in the old testament that that blood thursty thug would give a rats ass about his loyal asskissers and their pissant problems.  Another aspect to your comment is the irrational (among so meny irrationalitys) use of killing your own son, to atone for our sins with the warning we will all be born sinners anyways. So why kill off junior?  Did he wreck the car? And we're suppose to worship this piece of crap sky daddy?

Not me, eh.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

RobbyPants
atheist
RobbyPants's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, the whole thing seems

Yeah, the whole thing seems ridiculous, when you think about it, not just egotistical.

1 - Create a bunch of arbitrary rules.

2 - Come up with a super harsh punishment for not following the rules.

3 - Come up with an arbitrary way of atoning for breaking the rules that involves burning animals because the odor pleases you (yuck).

4 - Wait a few thousand years.

5 - Decide to change the rules, and send your own son/yourself in human form to spread the word... to relatively few people.

6 - Have your son/yourself tell people to follow new rules, among the most important of them: forgive others unconditionally and unlimitedly.

7 - Have your son/yourself executed to atone for everyone's sins (instead of forgiving them unconditionally and unlimitedly... like you told them to do. Good example.).

8 - Bring your son/yourself back from the dead, so there wasn't really any sacrifice at all, other than three days of torment.

9 - Now, everyone is forgiven... if they swear an oath of fealty and feel bad for being bad because they were born that way you made them that way.

Weird. What's funny is how they paint this as the most powerful and loving sacrifice of all time.

Jeffrick wrote:

I never heard it put quite that way before, but you are right.  There is no evidence in the old testament that that blood thursty thug would give a rats ass about his loyal asskissers and their pissant problems.  Another aspect to your comment is the irrational (among so meny irrationalitys) use of killing your own son, to atone for our sins with the warning we will all be born sinners anyways. So why kill off junior?  Did he wreck the car? And we're suppose to worship this piece of crap sky daddy?

According to SMBC, it's the long hair

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Greatest I am wrote:Is

Greatest I am wrote:
Is thinking that to believe that God would die for you the epitome of an inflated ego?  

It's gotta be up there, not sure what could top that.  The whole concept of thinking this vast Universe was designed just for us to inhabit this one rock comes close I suppose.

Peggotty
atheist
Peggotty's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greatest I am wrote:Is

Greatest I am wrote:

No. Just wishful thinking.

Oh, but Peggotty, you haven't given Mr. Barkis his proper answer, you know.
Charles Dickens