UAE puts rape victim in jail.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
UAE puts rape victim in jail.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Peggotty
atheist
Peggotty's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for that link - it's

Thanks for that link - it's a real horror story hiding behind the 'party' culture - this is what can happen if you are raped in UAE you get blamed and thrown in jail for 8 months, if you kiss someone on the cheek that's jail for 1 month and their jails are 'beyond the pale' - I've forwarded this on to my sister who's going to work in Qatar soon which as the crow flies is 236 miles away!

Oh, but Peggotty, you haven't given Mr. Barkis his proper answer, you know.
Charles Dickens

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Peggotty wrote:Thanks for

Peggotty wrote:

Thanks for that link - it's a real horror story hiding behind the 'party' culture - this is what can happen if you are raped in UAE you get blamed and thrown in jail for 8 months, if you kiss someone on the cheek that's jail for 1 month and their jails are 'beyond the pale' - I've forwarded this on to my sister who's going to work in Qatar soon which as the crow flies is 236 miles away!

Ugg, I do not envy her.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Peggotty
atheist
Peggotty's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Peggotty

Brian37 wrote:

Peggotty wrote:

Ugg, I do not envy her.

She's been lured in because she's been out of work for some time, the money out there is tax free, free accommodation and free first flight out there, she has a friend out there doing the same job who's told her it's good conditions working at the international school. There is a problem with the official contract of work in Qatar, it's not like ours, out there you are actually 'owned' by your employer and cannot exchange jobs or leave the country without their permission.  She's a teacher so she'll probably be okay but there are frightening stories of domestic workers from Asia being thrown in jail because they left a job (treated badly) without consent from an employer

Oh, but Peggotty, you haven't given Mr. Barkis his proper answer, you know.
Charles Dickens