Amanda Berry found after 10 years, "Miracle" hits news media again.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Amanda Berry found after 10 years, "Miracle" hits news media again.

First off, good for her and the two other kidnapped girls finally getting free. And thanks to the neighbor for helping her escape.

BUT, damn it  media, and god fans, you do realize your all seeing god WATCHED and DID NOTHING  all the time they were captive being raped and abused all that time.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:First off,

Brian37 wrote:

First off, good for her and the two other kidnapped girls finally getting free. And thanks to the neighbor for helping her escape.

BUT, damn it  media, and god fans, you do realize your all seeing god WATCHED and DID NOTHING  all the time they were captive being raped and abused all that time.

Already on Facebook, co-workers on my friends list, as well as a few other theists on my friends list, are attributing this to being a miracle of god and saying : Prayers going out to them, prayers going out for them being found, etc.

Hmm, strange that this whole miracle could have been avoided if the all knowing, all-seeing, all powerful one had prevented this from taking place to begin with.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Already on Facebook, co-workers on my friends list, as well as a few other theists on my friends list, are attributing this to being a miracle of god and saying : Prayers going out to them, prayers going out for them being found, etc.

Hmm, strange that this whole miracle could have been avoided if the all knowing, all-seeing, all powerful one had prevented this from taking place to begin with.

No shit.

No sane parent would hire a baby sitter and no sane bank owner would hire a security guard with such a selective fucked up deadbeat track record.

You and I cant use the same excuse if we don't show up to work. Yea it may work once or twice, but only fools have faith.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am very happy they made it

I am very happy they made it out alive, but it was no fucking miracle.

HumanVuvuzela
atheist
HumanVuvuzela's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good to see people are

Good to see people are asking questions of the psychic who told Amanda Berry's mum (who has since died) that she was already dead.... 

http://abcnews.go.com/US/amanda-berrys-mom-told-psychic-sylvia-browne-berry/story?id=19126853#.UYn1es0rCyd 

Love the quote about psychics assisting criminal investigations from the former FBI special agent too: 

"As far as finding a victim, finding remains, finding evidence or in any way helping to solve the case, it's never been my experience," he said. "So, it's really a disservice to victims."

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i'm not going to nitpick

i'm not going to nitpick people's language.  if my daughter was found after ten years i'd probably be using expressions like "miracle" and "thank god" too, and i wouldn't give a shit how it read to the rrs message board.  we have to accept that there are some situations where emotion trumps rationality, and this is one of them.  expecting a grieving community, now experiencing incredible relief after a decade, to formulate a rational worldview in their reactions is just snide.

i don't like it when theists use tragedies to get in a quick shot with their pseudophilosophical arguments and, quite frankly, i don't like it when atheists do it either.  these girls lost ten years of their lives--some might say the best ten years.  they're going to be severely challenged in the world in innumerable ways.  one of them even lost her mother during that time.  where the idea of god figures or doesn't figure in this equation is so irrelevant i have no words to express its insignificance.  let them rejoice in church.  let them praise god publicly.  let them react however the fuck they want to react and those of us who have never experienced anything so monumentally horrific, let's keep our fucking mouths shut for once and just stand in awe of what has happened, in all its positive and negative extremes.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i'm not going

iwbiek wrote:

i'm not going to nitpick people's language.  if my daughter was found after ten years i'd probably be using expressions like "miracle" and "thank god" too, and i wouldn't give a shit how it read to the rrs message board.  we have to accept that there are some situations where emotion trumps rationality, and this is one of them.  expecting a grieving community, now experiencing incredible relief after a decade, to formulate a rational worldview in their reactions is just snide.

i don't like it when theists use tragedies to get in a quick shot with their pseudophilosophical arguments and, quite frankly, i don't like it when atheists do it either.  these girls lost ten years of their lives--some might say the best ten years.  they're going to be severely challenged in the world in innumerable ways.  one of them even lost her mother during that time.  where the idea of god figures or doesn't figure in this equation is so irrelevant i have no words to express its insignificance.  let them rejoice in church.  let them praise god publicly.  let them react however the fuck they want to react and those of us who have never experienced anything so monumentally horrific, let's keep our fucking mouths shut for once and just stand in awe of what has happened, in all its positive and negative extremes.

I am because people DO believe in "miracles". This isn't like "bless you" where no one literally believes they will sneeze their soul out. People believe that a god had a hand in things like this. I think it is perfectly within reason to point out this bad use of logic. This allows humans to wallow in ignorance. No one is saying they cant respond the way they want. But I have every right to criticize their bad logic.

And when is a good time to discuss it, because if it were up to theists, never would be a good time for them. You'd suggest that we don't?

I am sorry those girls went through that, and how dare you accuse me of using them. You are acting like I am saying this to that family in person. In the context of in person, you'd be right. But I don't think they give one fuck what I am saying.

If there is anything I hate just as much as bigotry, political correctness and taboos rank right up there.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
FYI this is more a criticism

FYI this is more a criticism of the editing habits of news media, every time they get A roll and B roll it is almost as if the reporter/editor, is afraid of getting fired if they don't use a clip of someone saying "God" or "miracle". So please don't talk to me about "using" people.

And please don't tell me theists wouldn't be posting on the net "This wouldn't have happened to you if you believed in my  god" if it were one of our kids. Or do you forget all the shit they say about us? See to me it is fair game, because what is more important arn't the words, but the facts.

And again, we are not talking about live face to face context, we are talking about what they say and we say all the time. I simply think it is stupid to sweep the argument under the rug.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I worked for someone who was

I worked for someone who was or had a business relationship with psychics. One of them was Sylvia Brown and the other was that guy Edwards.

Both of them are complete fakes and they either are deliberately conning people or they are mental.

The new one, which my mom believes is real, is that long island psychic. I've tried to point out how she does it, but my mom won't listen. She is so intent on believing because it supports her ideas of life after death.

HumanVuvuzela wrote:

Good to see people are asking questions of the psychic who told Amanda Berry's mum (who has since died) that she was already dead.... 

http://abcnews.go.com/US/amanda-berrys-mom-told-psychic-sylvia-browne-berry/story?id=19126853#.UYn1es0rCyd 

Love the quote about psychics assisting criminal investigations from the former FBI special agent too: 

"As far as finding a victim, finding remains, finding evidence or in any way helping to solve the case, it's never been my experience," he said. "So, it's really a disservice to victims."

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I worked for someone who was or had a business relationship with psychics. One of them was Sylvia Brown and the other was that guy Edwards.

Both of them are complete fakes and they either are deliberately conning people or they are mental.

The new one, which my mom believes is real, is that long island psychic. I've tried to point out how she does it, but my mom won't listen. She is so intent on believing because it supports her ideas of life after death.

HumanVuvuzela wrote:

It is disturbing that some well intended people would think that pointing out reality is "using" someone. But when slimeballs like Sylvia Brown and John Edwards con victims, we are the closed mined ones. This would be like screaming at a doctor who advises you not to simply pray for a new liver and seek a transplant.

And McDonalds is all over this event like white on rice, "This tragedy brought to you by the McRib".

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: And please

Brian37 wrote:

And please don't tell me theists wouldn't be posting on the net "This wouldn't have happened to you if you believed in my  god" if it were one of our kids. Or do you forget all the shit they say about us? See to me it is fair game, because what is more important arn't the words, but the facts.

"us"???  who the fuck is "us"?  my name is chris.  i'm a school teacher, a husband, a father, a musician, and an avid history and philosophy buff.  i'm not in anybody's fucking camp.

as for theists doing the same thing, yes, brian, that was my whole fucking point.  theists and atheists both do this and it pisses me off.  i don't believe in "fair game."  i believe in being the bigger fucking person, when i'm strong enough to manage it.  i also believe in thinking twice and speaking once, or not at all.

Brian37 wrote:

I simply think it is stupid to sweep the argument under the rug.

what was the fucking argument?  nobody was imposing on anybody.  so a few commentators used the word "miracle," so the fuck what?  so those commentators actually believe in miracles...so the fuck what???  nobody blamed atheism or the atheist community for this crime.  nobody was arguing until you took up a contrary position.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Brian37

iwbiek wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

"us"???  who the fuck is "us"?  my name is chris.  i'm a school teacher, a husband, a father, a musician, and an avid history and philosophy buff.  i'm not in anybody's fucking camp.

as for theists doing the same thing, yes, brian, that was my whole fucking point.  theists and atheists both do this and it pisses me off.  i don't believe in "fair game."  i believe in being the bigger fucking person, when i'm strong enough to manage it.  i also believe in thinking twice and speaking once, or not at all.

Brian37 wrote:

I simply think it is stupid to sweep the argument under the rug.

what was the fucking argument?  nobody was imposing on anybody.  so a few commentators used the word "miracle," so the fuck what?  so those commentators actually believe in miracles...so the fuck what???  nobody blamed atheism or the atheist community for this crime.  nobody was arguing until you took up a contrary position.

CONTEXT,

You are STUPIDLY taking this out of context. No theist or atheist I would call moral or sensitive, would disrupt a private moment in person. My blasphemy is about how STUPID human logic is in gap filling in such situations.

You are doing the same thing theists do.

Skeptic "Bad shit happens and there is no magic to it"

You, "Yea but do you have to say it now"

Me, "Yes, just like the earth is not flat, and just like I don't want you running that red light."

You "ASSHOLE"

Now I defy you to show me how any superstition has in reality done anything for humanity other than to act as a placebo?

My mom is a Catholic, in two weeks she is going to have heart surgery. I have not told others not to say prayers for her, and if she wants to see a priest before I am not going to stop her. But to say I should not say anything about it outside her earshot is petty, and does not progress human knowledge.

Why the fuck should I apologize for saying religion does not explain shit?

Seriously, those victims were victims of rape, not a magic man with a pitchfork or the "mysterious ways" of a bearded man in a white robe.

To coddle that is to demean their suffering, to allow the credulous to believe that it is ok for their fictional parent to treat us humans as mere property with no say as to how we are treated. That horrible use of logic allows the superstitious to make excuses to do nothing. It is maintaining and fostering the intellectual dangerous mind slavery.

It has allowed men in many cultures around the world to blame the victim for what she wore, or where she went or what she said. India still has a huge problem with rape because of superstition and cultural norms.

It also ignores the truth of valuing the knowledge of why rape happens in order to learn from it and prevent it. Rape is about power and control and we see this cruelty in other primates too. We also see the natural reaction of that primate or human when they get raped. By coddling their superstition you allow them to ignore real solutions that can help the victim cope and empower women.

Compassion isn't ignoring reality nor does it make me cruel for stating fact vs fantasy. Girls and women are not the property of any fictional being, nor are they raped because of a fictional villain. Cruel is thinking it is ok to have a boss who can do what he wants at the cost of your physical and mental harm.

So do you want to help the real victims, or do you want to placate the insecurities of the credulous?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
And another thing, don't

And another thing, don't lecture me about the sensitive nature of rape. My mother was raped when I was a teen. Pulled out of the parking lot right in front of our middle class safe neighborhood. Taken by two guys who kidnapped her and raped her. So please spare me. I want to empower people with knowledge, not have them wallow in superstition.

And both of my biological sisters have been raped. The older one still believes in a god, and although she blames the asshole who did it, she still says "I shouldn't have been doing what I was doing", which means she is blaming herself. BECAUSE of that bullshit logic.

On the other hand my younger sister who is now an atheist, has no such guilt complex about it. Now you tell me who is more mentally capable of coping with such a horrible event?

Religion hinders humanity, whatever good it claims to do is negated by the shackles it creates.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

CONTEXT,

You are STUPIDLY taking this out of context. No theist or atheist I would call moral or sensitive, would disrupt a private moment in person. My blasphemy is about how STUPID human logic is in gap filling in such situations.

oh boy, here come the caps.  i'm about to get told by big bad Brian37.

Brian37 wrote:

You are doing the same thing theists do.

again, so the fuck what?  theists and atheists both do retarded and intelligent things.  if a theist says sometimes it's better not to chime in on an issue and make it about ideology, then i'd say that theist is acting intelligently.  therefore i will happily emulate him or her.

Brian37 wrote:

Me, "Yes, just like the earth is not flat, and just like I don't want you running that red light."

you really are the king of inept analogies.

Brian37 wrote:

Now I defy you to show me how any superstition has in reality done anything for humanity other than to act as a placebo?

and why is there anything wrong with a placebo necessarily? 

Brian37 wrote:

Why the fuck should I apologize for saying religion does not explain shit?

i don't expect you to apologize for shit.

Brian37 wrote:

To coddle that is to demean their suffering

i think that judgment is best left up to the individual suffering.  thankfully, in this case they're still living, so i'm sure if talk of "miracles" in their case bothers them so much, they are more than capable of speaking for themselves. 

Brian37 wrote:

India still has a huge problem with rape because of superstition and cultural norms.

oh, so THAT'S the whole answer?  bingo!  we have it!  the india expert has spoken.

from what i've seen over the past 6 years, you know all of dick about indian "superstitions."

your problem, brian, is you lose particulars in universals.  you don't know these castro fuckers' motives or even if they were religious.  stop the fucking hysterics. 

Brian37 wrote:

So do you want to help the real victims, or do you want to placate the insecurities of the credulous?

the real victims in this case have already been helped.  now they can be their own voices.

we're all credulous to a degree, brian.  even you.

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:And another

Brian37 wrote:

And another thing, don't lecture me about the sensitive nature of rape.

you telling someone else not to lecture is beyond rich.

i'm sorry you have a loved one who had a personal experience of rape, but nobody here is even focusing on the rape other than you.  rape was just one sliver of the horror these girls experienced.  the people in the world who can completely relate to what these girls went through can probably be counted on one hand.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

iwbiek wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

And another thing, don't lecture me about the sensitive nature of rape.

you telling someone else not to lecture is beyond rich.

i'm sorry you have a loved one who had a personal experience of rape, but nobody here is even focusing on the rape other than you.  rape was just one sliver of the horror these girls experienced.  the people in the world who can completely relate to what these girls went through can probably be counted on one hand.

You jumped on me for "using them". Now you also stupidly say that suffering is special because of the type of suffering?

My point in bringing up rape was because that was what the story was about. But it could be about murder, or PSTD in war, or watching someone die in a car accident. The point is that SUFFERING is not special, not my mom, or my sisters or theirs. Dont accuse me of "using" religion when the media edits the clips to make a billboard, and dont lecture me about using them when they themselves use it as a billboard.

Rape, murder, assault, war, all of it are a result of evolution. Now the only context you'd be right about when talking about any human horror, is IN THE MOMENT face to face with the person who has suffered. But merely discussing it outside their earshot is not a crime.

If they are going to use human suffering to promote their superstition, then please tell me why I shouldn't use it as a teachable moment to expose people to reality?

When I die, I won't give one shit about what anyone says about me, because I won't have the ability to care. And I doubt any loved one is going to be focused on what people say outside their earshot the moment they are morning me in person.

FACTS of nature and biology are WHY I publicly object. But you are dead wrong about trying to falsely paint me as uncaring. I care enough about humanity to face them with reality. I cant tell you what to do, so please don't presume that you know what is best for me to do.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:  Rape,

Brian37 wrote:

Rape, murder, assault, war, all of it are a result of evolution.

again, big mystery of the universe solved.  we can all stop writing books and go home.  everything traces back to evolution and god is a spaghetti monster.  it's all so simple.

at this point, we're all very aware of your position that evolution explains every single fucking thing.  we take it as a given.  you don't need to keep parroting it around here.

Brian37 wrote:

If they are going to use human suffering to promote their superstition, then please tell me why I shouldn't use it as a teachable moment to expose people to reality?

your fucking perception of reality, brian, your fucking perception.  it takes a lot of balls to think one has the answers to everything--or anything, for that matter.  as i've said time and time again, empiricism, evolutionary theory, physicalism, etc., etc., are not going to make everybody feel better about the shit they have to go through, so why cram it down everybody's throats at every opportunity, as if grasping evolution is some fucking cure-all (or even cure-some)?  if it's made you happy, fine!  brilliant!  but it ain't gonna work for everybody!  in a magical world where you can make religion disappear, do you honestly think people are going to stop shitting all over each other?  raping each other?  blowing each other up? or even that they'll do it any less?  if we want to look at the evidence, if we want to be scientific, then my hypothesis is "no."

Brian37 wrote:

I cant tell you what to do, so please don't presume that you know what is best for me to do.

what's good for the goose is good for the fucking gander, brian.  if we were to go back over the years and lay our posts out side by side, i think it would be immediately clear who has spent more lines of text chirping about what's best for people to do.

i'm not telling you what to do.  i'm just suggesting, just fucking suggesting, that maybe you might want to consider taking a second to think before you type, "hey, do i really need to weigh in on this issue?  do i really have something to add?  are my words actually going to edify someone?  or am i just vomiting across cyberspace again?"

--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

iwbiek wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Rape, murder, assault, war, all of it are a result of evolution.

again, big mystery of the universe solved.  we can all stop writing books and go home.  everything traces back to evolution and god is a spaghetti monster.  it's all so simple.

at this point, we're all very aware of your position that evolution explains every single fucking thing.  we take it as a given.  you don't need to keep parroting it around here.

Brian37 wrote:

your fucking perception of reality, brian, your fucking perception.  it takes a lot of balls to think one has the answers to everything--or anything, for that matter.  as i've said time and time again, empiricism, evolutionary theory, physicalism, etc., etc., are not going to make everybody feel better about the shit they have to go through, so why cram it down everybody's throats at every opportunity, as if grasping evolution is some fucking cure-all (or even cure-some)?  if it's made you happy, fine!  brilliant!  but it ain't gonna work for everybody!  in a magical world where you can make religion disappear, do you honestly think people are going to stop shitting all over each other?  raping each other?  blowing each other up? or even that they'll do it any less?  if we want to look at the evidence, if we want to be scientific, then my hypothesis is "no."

Brian37 wrote:

I cant tell you what to do, so please don't presume that you know what is best for me to do.

what's good for the goose is good for the fucking gander, brian.  if we were to go back over the years and lay our posts out side by side, i think it would be immediately clear who has spent more lines of text chirping about what's best for people to do.

i'm not telling you what to do.  i'm just suggesting, just fucking suggesting, that maybe you might want to consider taking a second to think before you type, "hey, do i really need to weigh in on this issue?  do i really have something to add?  are my words actually going to edify someone?  or am i just vomiting across cyberspace again?"

It is sad to me that you seem to care more about merely being offended than you should about the actual crimes committed.

Now you think I do not know what I am doing, I do, and you seem to miss the bigger picture that this is NOT about one case, but the entirety of humans and their bad use of logic, that leads them to comfort themselves with falsehoods. And you placate theists emotions rather than help them.

Now as I have said before, CONTEXT matters and you falsely assume or have painted a picture in your own head that I am a heartless dick. No, and for the reasons I stated, but that stupidly gets lost on you.

The truth can be harsh, but it is far better to face it than to wallow in superstition.

Now let me make this clear to you and to anyone reading this. I am not deluded in thinking that the world will conform to me. I also would not leave a theist bleeding in the street because I hate what they claim. I have not disowned my theist family or friends either, and if I had a kid who decided they wanted to believe, or marry a believer, my first duty is to love them. That does not mean I have to lie to myself or to others or sugar coat reality to placate their insecurities.

I do this because our world is poisoned with bad use of logic. I do this because humans can do better than view the world through the prism of myth. I do this because I care. It would not have helped humanity if Galileo simply said, "Better not upset people with the truth".

Now if you cant understand me now, I don't know anything else I can say. Not liking my delivery does not mean I am heartless or don't care.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
no, brian, i don't believe

no, brian, i don't believe you're a heartless dick, i believe you're an annoying dick with a hearty dose of self-righteousness.  in fact, having known far more theists than atheists in my life, i can honestly say you're one of the most self-righteous people i've ever met.

i also believe that, were religion and economic injustice to disappear, you'd promptly find some other cause to be shrill and overbearing about.

--Hunter S. Thompson