Earth is a sinking ship

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Earth is a sinking ship

I've been thinking this same thing for years. We spend so much fucking time worrying about material possessions, war, land, power, money... that we have lost focus on every thing beyond our borders. We, the human race, needs to think beyond Earth.

http://now.msn.com/stephen-hawking-said-mankind-needs-to-leave-earth-to-survive?ocid=ansnowex

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Like agent Smith said in

Like agent Smith said in The Matrix       ..."Humans are a disease, a cancer of this planet".

Because of  skyrocketing population growth modern mans' detrimental effect upon planet Earth has brought it to a tipping point that it may not be able to recover from unless human population were to be drastically reduced or eliminated altogether.  Obviously that will never happen, so the proposed solution is to change planets like one would change a dirty diaper ?  Awesome ( sarcasm )

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: 

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Like agent Smith said in The Matrix       ..."Humans are a disease, a cancer of this planet".

Because of  skyrocketing population growth modern mans' detrimental effect upon planet Earth has brought it to a tipping point that it may not be able to recover from

whoa whoa whoa whoa, hang on.  let's put shit in perspective.  we're having a detrimental effect on the earth?  so, in other words, we're harming the earth?  pfff.  please.  and i suppose ants are harming my porch when they shit on it.

when people say shit like "we're harming the earth," what they really mean is "the earth as it supports our species."  it's really ourselves we're worried about, not the earth, so let's call a spade a spade.

who are we to say what harms "the earth"?  if the earth were in some way sentient, don't you think it would more than likely want to be rid of us?  i mean, if you get headlice, what do you do?  go out and buy a harsh chemical shampoo and burn the motherfuckers alive.  if the earth really is some sort of being, how do we know it doesn't yearn for the days when it was a sterile ball of molten rock?  you better pray the earth is jain.

we're not a "cancer of this planet."  we're a cancer of ourselves.  i'm sick of this fetishization of some kind of quasi-sentient, mystical mother earth, gaia-type bullshit.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I'd like to see exactly

I'd like to see exactly how he thinks we are going to destroy the Earth. I can't find his comments in context anywhere, just the single sentence. It is quite possible we might manage to destroy our modern lifestyle, I doubt we have the power to destroy Earth or even to exterminate humanity. It also seems rather bold to make assumptions about the human race 1,000 years from now. There is a lot that can happen in that kind of time in terms of technology which can make whatever we think is a big problem today completely irrelevant. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:  when people

iwbiek wrote:

when people say shit like "we're harming the earth," what they really mean is "the earth as it supports our species."  it's really ourselves we're worried about, not the earth, so let's call a spade a spade.

I'm most certainly not concerned about the perpetuation of homo sapiens, quite the opposite is true of me actually. I despise humanity. You jump to hasty conclusions.

iwbiek wrote:
who are we to say what harms "the earth"?

Who do I need to be to make such an observation, you ? 

iwbiek wrote:
  if the earth were in some way sentient, don't you think it would more than likely want to be rid of us?  i mean, if you get headlice, what do you do?  go out and buy a harsh chemical shampoo and burn the motherfuckers alive.  if the earth really is some sort of being, how do we know it doesn't yearn for the days when it was a sterile ball of molten rock?  you better pray the earth is jain.

we're not a "cancer of this planet."  we're a cancer of ourselves.  i'm sick of this fetishization of some kind of quasi-sentient, mystical mother earth, gaia-type bullshit.

Your chose the word "harm", not me.  You also attribute an argument to me that I clearly didn't make which is some sort  "quasi-sentient, mystical mother earth, gaia-type bullshit."  Natural ecosystems due to human over population can obviously be damaged but I certainly don't ascribe any of the properties "sentient" or otherwise to the Earth that you seem to be railing at me about. 

It's simply a matter of logistics ( supply and demand ) but within the context of natural resources.   Limits can be exceeded and natural resources don't magically increase in proportion to booming population growth.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:iwbiek

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

I'm most certainly not concerned about the perpetuation of homo sapiens, quite the opposite is true of me actually. I despise humanity. You jump to hasty conclusions.

notice i used "people," not you.  anyone who says we're harming the earth is making a relative statement, and usually they're making that statement relative to humanity.  i also have no interest in seeing humanity perpetuated.  or anything at all, for that matter, except my closest loved ones.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
who are we to say what harms "the earth"?

Who do I need to be to make such an observation, you ? 

no.  probably you would need to be the earth.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Your chose the word "harm", not me.  You also attribute an argument to me that I clearly didn't make which is some sort  "quasi-sentient, mystical mother earth, gaia-type bullshit."  Natural ecosystems due to human over population can obviously be damaged but I certainly don't ascribe any of the properties "sentient" or otherwise to the Earth that you seem to be railing at me about. 

It's simply a matter of logistics ( supply and demand ) but within the context of natural resources.   Limits can be exceeded and natural resources don't magically increase in proportion to booming population growth.

i was attacking the quote, which is not attributable to you.  although i have say, i was surprised to hear such pablum coming from you.

on the last point, we're in 100% agreement.

my irritable demeanor had more to do with two bottles of red wine than you.  my apologies.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:...my irritable

iwbiek wrote:

...my irritable demeanor had more to do with two bottles of red wine than you.  my apologies.

No problem iwbiek.  Actually I suspected that perhaps you were "imbibing"   simply based upon earlier statements that you had made where you were sort of grumpy and later came back to clarify / apologize to another forum member for being more intense than you normally are.   No harm, no foul. 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:iwbiek

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

...my irritable demeanor had more to do with two bottles of red wine than you.  my apologies.

No problem iwbiek.  Actually I suspected that perhaps you were "imbibing"   simply based upon earlier statements that you had made where you were sort of grumpy and later came back to clarify / apologize to another forum member for being more intense than you normally are.   No harm, no foul. 

yeah, if i'm consistently grumpy/belligerent with a person, then it usually means i genuinely don't like them, drunk or sober.  if i'm suddenly prickly toward someone i'm generally polite or neutral to, it's usually booze.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Peggotty
atheist
Peggotty's picture
User is offlineOffline
I always find a general rule

I always find a general rule for dealing with an angry man is to stay away from him. If he yells and snaps at you, you may feel too stunned to respond.  You may, however, be able to distance yourself somewhat from him by thinking of him not as a friend, husband or the father of your children or your champion or kin but instead as a petulant, screaming, tantrum-throwing, recalcitrant, argumentative child, booze or no booze.

Oh, but Peggotty, you haven't given Mr. Barkis his proper answer, you know.
Charles Dickens

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Peggotty wrote:I always find

Peggotty wrote:

I always find a general rule for dealing with an angry man is to stay away from him. If he yells and snaps at you, you may feel too stunned to respond.  You may, however, be able to distance yourself somewhat from him by thinking of him not as a friend, husband or the father of your children or your champion or kin but instead as a petulant, screaming, tantrum-throwing, recalcitrant, argumentative child, booze or no booze.

i might have been rather testy in the above post in question, but i hardly think i merit that judgment based on my words in this thread.

regardless, all of us are "petulant, screaming, tantrum-throwing, recalcitrant, argumentative children" compared to someone.  even you.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Men are hardly unique in

Men are hardly unique in having angry individuals. Also, discounting someone and distancing yourself from them just because they are angry is self limiting.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Men are hardly

Vastet wrote:
Men are hardly unique in having angry individuals....

I agree, having ovaries doesn't preclude the so-called "fairer sex" from outbursts of selfish rage and pettiness.  I know from personal experience, lol .

Peggotty
atheist
Peggotty's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was making my point about

I was making my point about angry men in general and you (iwbiek) were apologising for being drunk and grumpy so just commenting.  I'm not discounting all anger as it is just energy that can be used constructively.  I was thinking more of an anger addict or someone who is chronically angry as a way of relating to the world.  You can end up quite unhappy living with a man  who has a permanent short fuse (have learnt the hard way).

Oh, but Peggotty, you haven't given Mr. Barkis his proper answer, you know.
Charles Dickens

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello guys! I'm back!!! How

Hello guys! I'm back!!! How could I leave you? 

I see that the usual people are still here!! Nice to see you again! Die hard rational responder dwellers

iwbiek wrote:

I agree so much with this, that I'm crying tears of wisdom! 

http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=13556