This is how some planets would appear if they were as close as the moon

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
This is how some planets would appear if they were as close as the moon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usYC_Z36rHw

I thought this was pretty cool. Holy fucking Jupiter man. And Saturn is just so damn sexy.


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Cool video, but the larger

Cool video, but the larger gas giants wouldn't look like that, they would be further away or else we (the earth) would be inside their atmospheres. Also, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune would all rip us apart. It wouldn't be very peaceful on Earth.

Even if we had Venus as a satellite, Earth would be fucked.


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Totally missing the point as

Totally missing the point as usual.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Vastet

Vastet wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usYC_Z36rHw I thought this was pretty cool. Holy fucking Jupiter man. And Saturn is just so damn sexy.

Cool vid

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


GodsUseForAMosquito
Moderator
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
Posts: 404
Joined: 2008-08-27
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Cool video, but the

 

Quote:

Cool video, but the larger gas giants wouldn't look like that, they would be further away or else we (the earth) would be inside their atmospheres

 

Incorrect assertion I'm afraid.

 

Distance from earth to moon: 384,400 km

Radius of moon: 1737.4 km

Therefore distance from surface of earth to centre of moon: 386,137.4 km

Equatorial radius of Jupiter: 71,492 km (ignoring ionosphere, magnetosphere, i.e. the 'invisible' parts of the atmosphere)

Therefore, if we replaced the moon with Jupiter, there'd still be a distance between us of 314,645.4 km.

Based on the relative radii of the moon and jupiter, at the same distance from us, Jupiter would appear 41.1x larger, which looks approximately correct in this video.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Totally missing

Vastet wrote:
Totally missing the point as usual.

No you missed it.


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Vastet

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Totally missing the point as usual.

No you missed it.

No, you not only missed the point you were flat out wrong in your criticism. Facepalm of the day award goes to you. Grats!

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
 Really cool.  I wish they

 Really cool.  I wish they would do the same vid but in a dark, nigh time sky.


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:digitalbeachbum

Vastet wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Totally missing the point as usual.

No you missed it.

No, you not only missed the point you were flat out wrong in your criticism. Facepalm of the day award goes to you. Grats!

Nope... and I'm really enjoying this because you really don't get it.. HAR HAR HAR HAR!!!

Like you totally missed it completely.


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Your delusions are far more

Your delusions are far more amusing to me than they could ever be for you. Eye-wink

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Your delusions

Vastet wrote:
Your delusions are far more amusing to me than they could ever be for you. Eye-wink

OK I'll let you in on it..

 

I posted the reply on April 1st. It was supposed to be a April's Fool joke on you but GodsUseForAMosquito took the bait and not you... so I wrote him an email and told him the jig.

I was going to play around with you but the 1st was over and so, "what's the point of continuing?"

 


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Vastet

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Your delusions are far more amusing to me than they could ever be for you. Eye-wink

OK I'll let you in on it..

 

I posted the reply on April 1st. It was supposed to be a April's Fool joke on you but GodsUseForAMosquito took the bait and not you... so I wrote him an email and told him the jig.

I was going to play around with you but the 1st was over and so, "what's the point of continuing?"

 

Uh huh. Get your ass handed to you then pretend it was all a joke. Whatever helps you sleep at night kid. Laughing out loud

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:digitalbeachbum

Vastet wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Your delusions are far more amusing to me than they could ever be for you. Eye-wink

OK I'll let you in on it..

 

I posted the reply on April 1st. It was supposed to be a April's Fool joke on you but GodsUseForAMosquito took the bait and not you... so I wrote him an email and told him the jig.

I was going to play around with you but the 1st was over and so, "what's the point of continuing?"

 

Uh huh. Get your ass handed to you then pretend it was all a joke. Whatever helps you sleep at night kid. :D

LOL. Yeah. What ever. My ass is gigantic. Good luck on trying to lift it.

 


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
puh.  i've hefted concrete

puh.  i've hefted concrete railroad ties heavier than all you motherfuckers.


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:puh.  i've

iwbiek wrote:

puh.  i've hefted concrete railroad ties heavier than all you motherfuckers.

LMAO

 


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
*Yawn*

*Yawn*

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:puh.  i've

iwbiek wrote:

puh.  i've hefted concrete railroad ties heavier than all you motherfuckers.

Considering the fact that I am 5 feet 9 inches and 154 pounds, your probably right Smiling

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:iwbiek

blah, nvm.


 


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:blah,

Kapkao wrote:

blah, nvm.


 

 

what the fuck happened to you, man?  christ...


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Considering the fact that I am 5 feet 9 inches and 154 pounds, your probably right Smiling

 Wow harley, you must be really lean.  The last time I weighed 154 was when I was about 18 years old and had about 5% body fat.   Not any more though, being middle aged sucks !

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

Considering the fact that I am 5 feet 9 inches and 154 pounds, your probably right Smiling

 Wow harley, you must be really lean.  The last time I weighed 154 was when I was about 18 years old and had about 5% body fat.   Not any more though, being middle aged sucks !

I wasn't 154 since I was 14. When I was 18 I was 180 at 6'3.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
 I had a pretty fast

 I had a pretty fast metabolism for most of my life.  I'm 6' at 210 now so nothing lasts forever, heh heh.

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: I

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

 I had a pretty fast metabolism for most of my life.  I'm 6' at 210 now so nothing lasts forever, heh heh.

Nope.