Nook/B&N users - Has anyone noticed something funny about the free books?

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nook/B&N users - Has anyone noticed something funny about the free books?

Barnes & Noble offers "Free Book Fridays" for Nook users.  I had a Nook (now using an ipad) and would download the free books - they were free and I figured why not give a new author a shot.  It took about 4 downloads before I realized that every book mentioned god in some way (always positive).  I have no idea if this is some kind of weird policy of Barnes & Noble, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed it?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I still read actual books.

I still read actual books. Can't say I like ereaders.

This is the first I've heard of it, which doesn't mean much.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
how do the "free book

how do the "free book downloads" work?  i mean, does b&n choose which books they decide to promote for free or do the authors and/or publishers decide?  because those authors who have a religious, especially christian, agenda are really likely to allow their books to be distributed for free.  it may just be them taking advantage of free publicity.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I don't know how the books

I don't know how the books are chosen. They show up on b&n's free book Friday blog. You're probably right about the authors except that many struggling authors would take the publicity too and the books are only free for one week. It may also be b&n's marketing gurus trying to appeal to a specific demographic. It just turns me off. Thankfully the library is free and online so I have access to a large number of free books!  Lol

Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
User is offlineOffline
Statistics?

"How" are they always mention Gott?  I would personally just chalk it up to the fact that a lot of the world is still pretty religious and few writers are capable of truly divorcing their writing from their personal beliefs.  You don't really get books that explicitly favour Atheism outside of the Science Fiction genre anyways.

Personally I don't really mind when fiction books mention Gott and mention it favorably because all Fictional Books have a Gott: The Writer.  As much as Asimov and other Sci-Fi Writers tried, I contend that having an Atheistic Fictional Universe is impossible since there will always be a Writer somewhere keeping order.

Hell, even the Sci-Fi book I'm writing explicitly has a Divine "Gott" figure in it which is intentionally written to represent me, in my capacity as the writer of the story.  Of course, if you wanted to say this Divine Figure was portrayed 'positively' I may have to disagree with you on that count...

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...