Thunderf00t: Feminism versus FACTS (RE Damsel in distress)

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thunderf00t: Feminism versus FACTS (RE Damsel in distress)

This one's for Vastet and all you gamers out there wondering WTF Anita Sarkeesian is going on about. Classic-style Thunderf00t take down of bullshit claims.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice. I'd actually not

Nice.
I'd actually not heard of her. Apparently not many gamers are paying her any attention. I kinda get the impression she doesn't have any value to the gaming community, and that her target audience isn't gamers anyway. She's like that crackpot Jack Thompson. Talking about games without knowing the first thing about them.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Awesome stuff. Thanks for

Awesome stuff. Thanks for the post. I enjoyed the tearing down her "research" and making it in to a pile of mush.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Nice. I'd

Vastet wrote:
Nice. I'd actually not heard of her. Apparently not many gamers are paying her any attention. I kinda get the impression she doesn't have any value to the gaming community, and that her target audience isn't gamers anyway. She's like that crackpot Jack Thompson. Talking about games without knowing the first thing about them.

Hack Thompson makes me reluctant to say I live in Florida. He used to be in the local news all the time but people got tired of listening to his tripe.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
He lost his licence in a

He lost his licence in a number of states, if not all of them. After that he slowly faded away. I think he had to get a real job.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:He lost his

Vastet wrote:
He lost his licence in a number of states, if not all of them. After that he slowly faded away. I think he had to get a real job.

From what I understand is that he has a medical malpractice business.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well apparently some shit

Well apparently some shit hit the fan at a developer conference and the details are leaking out slowly. Some guy who made a joke in bad taste to a buddy and the feminazi who made a big deal over it both lost their jobs, and a shitstorm is brewing over the feminazi's head. What's left of anonymous is targeting her. All the sordid details can be found here:
http://www.dailydot.com/society/pycon-dongle-joke-misogyny-sexism-adria-richards/

It seems to me that this feminazi movement is not related to the atheist movement, but sprung up at the same time. Because some of the goals intersect, the movements were tied together early on for mutual benefit. But now the atheist movement has plenty of support and is going strong, and the feminazi movement no longer has enough in common to retain ties. I suspect the same is happening in the LGBT community, as it is another movement that sprung up at the same time, and is also sharing many of the goals the atheist movement seeks.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think in the next couple

I think in the next couple years the feminazi movement will be fully divorced from all the movements they hitched a ride with, and for a brief time will make some headlines and asses of themselves, then fade away into obscurity where they belong.

Patience will destroy them.

Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Classy, by the way

I find myself unable to consider her a "Feminazi"* due in no small part to the fact that, ultimately, all she did was rightly point out that the two guys legitimately broke the rules of the convention.  The Authorities at the convention explained this to them, they apologized, and that was that.  Their boss then fired them without prompting or request from the woman, who then subsequently was also fired without prompting by the two men.

But then the Internet and tech community showed their true colors by inundating the woman with a veritable tsunami of unabashedly misogynistic harassment including death threats and at least one person threatening to rape and murder her in addition to posting what appeared to be her personal information, including her address.

The same thing happened to Anita.  I have not yet watched her video or any of the responses, but I did watch the fallout from her Kickstarter Campaign.  This fallout, although it began with the relatively reasonable complaint of "Why the hell should I give you money to make a web series", quickly morphed into what was literally a massive misogyny fueled which hunt which also at it's height included multiple death and rape threats (some with "art"work very similar to the picture sent to Adria), and at least one flash game solely devoted to letting people punch her in the face with the "reward" being a Photoshopped picture of her face broken and bruised.  Because apparently a woman daring to suggest that the Gaming Industry is a wee bit misogynistic (as if this was ever in doubt) is the sort of thing that should be met with threats of physical and sexual abuse.

So yeah, whether or not these "Feminazis" start off with valid complaints, the backlash against them always proves their criticisms right.

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I read some of her twitter

I read some of her twitter posts. She's 100% feminazi, with a healthy dose of racism mixed in. And she didn't just report the guys to the conference, she then went and bragged about it publically. I have 0 sympathy for her.
That said, I don't sympathise with the guys either. You have to watch what you say in public these days.

As for Anita, the backlash on her apparently gave her more than a hundred thousand bucks in traffic, so she doesn't have anything to complain about either.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just want to forewarn

I just want to forewarn people that these discussions tend to spiral off into giant storms of steaming shit. Just a little observation from past experience. Not telling anyone not to discuss it; just be prepared it may take more of your time and energy than you first expect it to. Eye-wink

On the other hand, this is the RRS, and if anyone can tackle this issue(s), its going to be real rational responders.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Well apparently

Vastet wrote:
Well apparently some shit hit the fan at a developer conference and the details are leaking out slowly. Some guy who made a joke in bad taste to a buddy and the feminazi who made a big deal over it both lost their jobs, and a shitstorm is brewing over the feminazi's head. What's left of anonymous is targeting her. All the sordid details can be found here: http://www.dailydot.com/society/pycon-dongle-joke-misogyny-sexism-adria-richards/ It seems to me that many of the goals the atheist movement seeks.

She's a cunt.

As for the company which fired him, I call bullshit.

The troll who posted her personal information and the picture of the rape/murder/victim should be found and punished.