New Pope already accused in scandle.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
New Pope already accused in scandle.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't like how little

I don't like how little information there is. It's all basically people's words, other than the incident itself. Maybe he did save a whole bunch of people. But where are they?

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I don't like

Vastet wrote:
I don't like how little information there is. It's all basically people's words, other than the incident itself. Maybe he did save a whole bunch of people. But where are they?

I don't think the Huffington post makes it's living printing stuff if they don't think it is credible. Now Fox News on the other hand.

There had to be enough reports to print this, I doubt they would have taken this on the word of one person.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not necessarily accusing

I'm not necessarily accusing them of wrong doing. The incident was 30 years ago. I'm just not happy with the claims and counterclaims presented within. It's all hearsay, no evidence.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I'm not

Vastet wrote:
I'm not necessarily accusing them of wrong doing. The incident was 30 years ago. I'm just not happy with the claims and counterclaims presented within. It's all hearsay, no evidence.

AND AGAIN, the Huffington post does not print stuff like Jerry Springer. And like balanced journalism they did present both sides, otherwise why print counter claims? My point is they wouldn't have done it if they didn't see something credible to follow up on.

How many scandals do we hear about both republican and democratic politicians where the story starts out "he said" "they said" but end up being credible?

With all that institution has done in the past, at a minimum it can act as a mirror to the Vatican to force it to behave itself.

And it will also allow people around the world to know if something else happens caused by them, they will have a watchdog to report to.

Media is our watchdog and out of all the media that is crap the Huffington post has high journalistic integrity.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Then where is their

Then where is their evidence? Your defence of the Post is actually painting them in a worse light. Counterproductive. I'm a scientist, not some follower bitch. Give me proof or fuck off.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Then where is

Vastet wrote:
Then where is their evidence? Your defence of the Post is actually painting them in a worse light. Counterproductive. I'm a scientist, not some follower bitch. Give me proof or fuck off.

+ 1  

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
well that escalated

well that escalated quickly

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quick! To the PopeMobile

re :: Quick! To the PopeMobile

(No Subject)
Small part of New Pope's first speech .. "A journey of fraternity, of love, of trust among us. Let us .."

YouTube Link part of comment .. Link to the PopeMobile .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W26QDpN3au0

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Vastet

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Vastet wrote:

+ 1  

i second that.  we can speculate that huff po had "good reason" but unless they present it, i can't take that for granted.  i feel like lots of people here really want the new pope to be a bastard, so they're grasping at anything.  now, most of the popes have been bastards, including the last two, and i believe it's likely this one will turn out to be the same, but until something definite is uncovered, i'm reserving judgment.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dont CRY for me Argentina (the truth is ..)

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

well that escalated

Re :: Dont CRY for me Argentina (the truth is ..)

From some of the few news stories about Argentinian former dictator's cosy relationship with then Jorge Bergoglio, Arianna wrongly seems to omitted (a better story).

Quote:
Pope Francis, as he is now called, was a senior official in the Catholic Church in Argentina during the “Dirty War” in the 1970s, when the Argentine military brutally killed between 25,000 and 30,000 people.

According to The Guardian, “The extent of the church's complicity in the dark deeds was excellently set out by Horacio Verbitsky, one of Argentina's most notable journalists, in his book El Silencio (Silence). He recounts how the Argentine navy with the connivance of Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, now the Jesuit archbishop of Buenos Aires, hid from a visiting delegation of the Inter-American Human Rights Commission the dictatorship's political prisoners. Bergoglio was hiding them in nothing less than his holiday home in an island called El Silencio in the River Plate.”
You are here: Home / Politics / Pope Francis and Argentina’s Dirty War
Pope Francis and Argentina’s Dirty War
March 13, 2013 by Rebeldes 8 Comments

Recently, Jorge Mario Bergoglio, the archbishop of Buenos Aires, become the 266th pope of the Catholic Church. Bergoglio’s past is one that raises serious questions about the Church’s new leader and whether the move is yet another example of the Church trying to overlook its history. Besides Bergoglio’s belief that “a government-supported law to legalize marriage and adoption by same-sex couples as ‘a war against God,’” many Argentines and students of Latin American history have already brought up Bergoglio’s role during Argentina’s military dictatorship of the late 70s and early 80s, also known as The Dirty War.

Here is what The New York Times reported today about this part of Bergoglio’s life:

He has been less energetic, however, in urging the Argentine church to examine its own behavior during the 1970s, when the country was consumed by a conflict between right and left. In what became known as the Dirty War, as many as 30,000 people were disappeared, tortured or killed by a military dictatorship that seized power in March 1976.

In a long interview with an Argentine newspaper in 2010, Cardinal Bergoglio defended his behavior during the dictatorship. He said that he had helped hide people being sought for arrest or disappearance by the military because of their political views, had helped others leave Argentina and had lobbied the country’s military rulers directly for the release and protection of others.

One archival photo has been posted in the last few hours, showing Bergoglio giving communion to Jorge Rafael Videla, Argentina’s military dictator from 1976 to 1981, as well as other photos of Videla with Argentine priests and cardinals. These photos are coming from people who want the truth to be known about Argentina.

In this first photo, a priest many believe to be Bergoglio is giving communion to Videla. The Global Post has more about this picture here, but later found not to be (UPDATE: A report out of Argentina says that this photo is not Bergoglio.) A photo shows an unidentified Argentine priest with Videla. It is also making the online rounds.

Quote:
A 2011 piece by Hugh O’Shaughnessy called “The sins of the Argentinian church” presents a summary of the issues surrounding Bergoglio:

To the judicious and fair-minded outsider it has been clear for years that the upper reaches of the Argentinian church contained many “lost sheep in the wilderness”, men who had communed and supported the unspeakably brutal western-supported military dictatorship that seized power in that country in 1976 and battened on it for years. Not only did the generals slaughter thousands unjustly, often dropping them out of aeroplanes over the River Plate and selling off their orphan children to the highest bidder, they also murdered at least two bishops and many priests. Yet even the execution of other men of the cloth did nothing to shake the support of senior clerics, including representatives of the Holy See, for the criminality of their leader General Jorge Rafael Videla and his minions, in his dictatorship.

Whatever you think of Arianna (Huffington), it seems she was wrong for what she did in this piece, OP's NU One, original Link. I like Brian and dont like to see it when he unfairly gets hosed , due to someone else's mistake.

Due to the potentially inflammatory content & controversial nature: viewer discretion is advised

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
To clarify, I was not

To clarify, I was not telling any specific person to fuck off. I was making a general statement to everyone and their mothers. I have little enough patience for gossip in general. Unsupported gossip in print is beyond unacceptable to me.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote: I like

danatemporary wrote:
I like Brian and dont like to see it when he unfairly gets hosed , due to someone else's mistake. 

considering brian's positively silly, irrationally biased argument that "the huffington post wouldn't print anything unless it was supported by solid evidenvce" (evidence which it chose to omit from this article for some reason), i don't think any of the responses have been "unfair."

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:danatemporary

iwbiek wrote:

danatemporary wrote:
I like Brian and dont like to see it when he unfairly gets hosed , due to someone else's mistake. 

considering brian's positively silly, irrationally biased argument that "the huffington post wouldn't print anything unless it was supported by solid evidenvce" (evidence which it chose to omit from this article for some reason), i don't think any of the responses have been "unfair."

Especially considering their business model where they over half of their staff are volunteers and write whatever they want which then goes through a cursory editorial process. With over 100 new posts a day it isn't hard to imagine that they are only as accurate as their least ethical/competent reporter. I don't intend to demean Huffpo as less credible than any other news source on the net, I visit it pretty much everyday myself. With any news source it is a mistake to treat whatever they say as gospel because any news source can be mistaken either through poor journalism practices, bias or pure accident. Even if Huffpo is 99% accurate that means that one or two stories they publish each day are wrong.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
that's fine.  i don't take

that's fine.  i don't take issue with the conclusion that the new pope is a corrupt piece of shit, just the way some of us appear to be arriving at that conclusion, as well as appearing to blindly support a certain news outlet.

--Hunter S. Thompson