5 years of Discussions

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
5 years of Discussions

Tomorrow marks 5 years since I joined RRS. I have seen many come and go. Both believers and friends. All in all it has been and still is a fantastic forum.

Thanks Brian for continuing RRS.

Thanks to all who participate in discussions that help to bring a little rationality to the world.

Thanks to all of the theists that come to talk with us. Some have agendas, some want to best us and get GOLD STARS from their god, some are fair minded, some are not.

All in all I enjoy it.

PJTS

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
You just saying thanks or

You just saying thanks or are you taking a break? We love you dude.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

Tomorrow marks 5 years since I joined RRS. I have seen many come and go. Both believers and friends. All in all it has been and still is a fantastic forum.

Thanks to all who participate in discussions that help to bring a little rationality to the world.

Thanks to all of the theists that come to talk with us. Some have agendas, some want to best us and get GOLD STARS from their god, some are fair minded, some are not.

All in all I enjoy it.

PJTS

Happy anniversary Paul John, with all the bullshit the last five years there has been more than a few diamonds and your posts definitely tend toward the latter. I have to say, of all the forums I participate in, there has never been one that has felt more like home than here.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
A broad and impish smile comes across my face when ..

Tomorrow marks 5 years since I joined RRS. I have seen many come and go . .

PJTS

There is a special move of a joy welling up and a broad and impish smile aways comes across my face whenever anyone brings up Atra-Hasis Epic; Adapa and the South Wind; the Baal-CYCLE; the broader Poetry of Sumer, and so on. Knowing full well, most havent a clue as to what you're referring to. Few can appreciate these feelings, but I know some are able. What a truly great privilege it is to have you on the board, moreover, with your continued unmatched assistance to the board by your community involvment. Dude we love you !!
___
The written word is all that stands between living memory and oblivion ¬ D a n a

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You just

Brian37 wrote:

You just saying thanks or are you taking a break? We love you dude.

Just saying thanks and marking the day.

Been extremely busy this year and finally calming down a bit.

Will be on more for the next month.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

All in all I enjoy it.

PJTS

Happy anniversary Paul John, with all the bullshit the last five years there has been more than a few diamonds and your posts definitely tend toward the latter. I have to say, of all the forums I participate in, there has never been one that has felt more like home than here.  

Thanks for the the comments. I do try.

I agree, I love it here as well.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary

danatemporary wrote:

Tomorrow marks 5 years since I joined RRS. I have seen many come and go . .

PJTS

There is a special move of a joy welling up and a broad and impish smile aways comes across my face whenever anyone brings up Atra-Hasis Epic; Adapa and the South Wind; the Baal-CYCLE; the broader Poetry of Sumer, and so on. Knowing full well, most havent a clue as to what you're referring to. Few can appreciate these feelings, but I know some are able. What a truly great privilege it is to have you on the board, moreover, with your continued unmatched assistance to the board by your community involvment. Dude we love you !! ___ The written word is all that stands between living memory and oblivion ¬ D a n a

Thanks. I do so love Sumerian literature. It's sad people don't study it, as it has many implications that help in understanding the developments of god(s) of many cultures especially in the Ancient Mid East.

May the Lord Enki bless and keep you.

The more one reads and studies the less one will accept beliefs on face value. One should try to learn something new everyday. Read more, kill less.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Happy Anniversary, PJTS. I

Happy Anniversary, PJTS. I enjoy your posts. May the lord Enki continue to bless you.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's amazing how fast the

It's amazing how fast the time flies. Glad you're still bringing your expertise to the forum, and hope you continue to for another 5+ years! Laughing out loud

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ditto

I'm glad your here Pauljohn it just wouldn't be the same without you. Keep up the good writing, hellsbells even your bad writing is still pretty good.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Happy

ex-minister wrote:
Happy Anniversary, PJTS. I enjoy your posts. May the lord Enki continue to bless you.

I enjoy yours as well. May Inanna bring you all that you want, though Enki might beat you to those she might bring you, but have a few mugs of his beer or his daughter Ninkasi's who is the goddess of beer or alcohol -

see - http://etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk/section4/tr4231.htm

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:It's amazing

Vastet wrote:
It's amazing how fast the time flies. Glad you're still bringing your expertise to the forum, and hope you continue to for another 5+ years! :D

You too, I still remember the Panda versus the  Moose war. Miss Will's posts. He was always fun.

I will be here as long as RRS. To death do us part!!

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

I'm glad your here Pauljohn it just wouldn't be the same without you. Keep up the good writing, hellsbells even your bad writing is still pretty good. 

Wish I had more time. You can share in Ex-Minister's beer from Ninkasi, as can Vastet, but leave some for us, you Canadians suck down all the good stuff.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

Jeffrick wrote:

Wish I had more time. You can share in Ex-Minister's beer from Ninkasi, as can Vastet, but leave some for us, you Canadians suck down all the good stuff.

Do to allergy I can't be near beer (Adolph Coors IV has the same allergy). Imagin that; a 57 year old Canadian who has never had a beer, the only known one in captivity PLUS  the guy who owns Coors brewery. Maybe there is an Enkidu, with a sense of humor.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

Do to allergy I can't be near beer (Adolph Coors IV has the same allergy). Imagin that; a 57 year old Canadian who has never had a beer, the only known one in captivity PLUS  the guy who owns Coors brewery. Maybe there is an Enkidu, with a sense of humor.

Well that explains why Coors tastes like piss. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well PJTS, 5 years is a long

Well PJTS, 5 years is a long time on these forums, especially site so many have come and gone. I hope you are with us for a bit longer more on these forums, since it is nice to have someone rational onboard. Heck you made me check out how long I have been on these forums.....almost 6 years...sheesh time passes by quickly. I'll have a beer in your honor this afternoon (it's 8AM and i  am off to work now)

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Jeffrick

Beyond Saving wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

Well that explains why Coors tastes like piss. 

I grew up in Colorado and Coors has it's funny taste for several reasons. We called it Rocky Mt Piss Water though it's more likely the fuel dumped into Clear Creek on US Highway 6 (goes to Black Hawk and Central City) from cars and trucks that end up in it when they wreck. The theory we had when I was growing up before all the traffic to Black Hawk (a Ghost Town with gambling, though it's not a Ghost Town no more) was the big horn sheep pissed in the creek.

I lived in Pueblo Colorado until 1974 and the local brewery there was Walter's. They made several brands including Colt 45 on contract. It closed in 1975. Their best beer was at the brewery on the tour. In Colorado one could drink 3.2 beer at 18 and we went there often.

In 1973-74 there was a major strike at Coors and I was involved as a student activist, VP of a student body at a large Colorado college, We banned Coors on campus and pissed off the local distributor who contributed to the athelitic program. I have had Coors only once or twice since, as to me it still tastes like fuel oil.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Well PJTS,

latincanuck wrote:

Well PJTS, 5 years is a long time on these forums, especially site so many have come and gone. I hope you are with us for a bit longer more on these forums, since it is nice to have someone rational onboard. Heck you made me check out how long I have been on these forums.....almost 6 years...sheesh time passes by quickly. I'll have a beer in your honor this afternoon (it's 8AM and i  am off to work now)

Enjoy your posts too Latin. Another Canadian drinking all the good stuff. In the past I never paid attention to the date I joined, I just noticed this year the day before. I'll be around as long as RRS is.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey PaulJohn

Yeah, agree with you. It's a good place to be. Sometimes wish we had more quality theists but you can't have everything. On top of comments upthread, I've always thought your bible knowledge was a real bonus to this community. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Another like vote

Like your posts and particularly 'OT Stories'. I am also impressed with the stamina required to keep at it for so long.

Which reminds me that it's time for more research.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Yeah, agree with you. It's a good place to be. Sometimes wish we had more quality theists but you can't have everything. On top of comments upthread, I've always thought your bible knowledge was a real bonus to this community. 

The theists come and go. Several have stayed a long time such as Caposkia who continues in the discussion on OT stories.

I spent a lot of time studying theology and the bible in various translations. That contributed to my disbelief, especially when I went to a Jesuit University for my grad degree.

Thanks for your comments, I enjoy yours as well.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
x wrote:Like your posts and

x wrote:

Like your posts and particularly 'OT Stories'. I am also impressed with the stamina required to keep at it for so long.

Which reminds me that it's time for more research.

After 9-11 dispelling religious beliefs became a major goal in my life. All of them, from Judaism, Christianity to Islam. I will continue until I can't type any longer.

Then I'll use a voice actuated program to continue.

Thanks for the comments. I try.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
You rule, PJ.As much as all

You rule, PJ.

As much as all that bible drivel makes me roll my eyes, we absolutely need somebody around who knows that shit better than the people who swallow it whole.

Thanks for all the hard work. 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i raise my glass to you,

i raise my glass to you, PJ.  come to think of it, my five years is coming up too.  i rarely hit up a forum for more than a couple months tops before i move on, and i fully expected RRS to be the same.  there have been times i've dropped out for a couple months (mostly to cool off when things get really heated, like my old back-and-forths with EXC or Furry), and even once or twice i've vowed never to return, but i always find my way back.

this place has a certain magic to it.  many times, it's been the only place i've been able to dialogue seriously on topics like marxist political theory, buddhist metaphysics, the historical development of judaism, the relationship between mathematics and science, whiskey appreciation--you know, those topics which make your friends in the "real world" start glancing at their smartphones and responding with vague "uh-huhs" and "wow, reallys."

thanks to everybody, past and present.  i've seen 'em come, i've seen 'em go, i've seen a few stick around.  i'm happy to be one.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Thanks

Anonymouse wrote:

You rule, PJ.

As much as all that bible drivel makes me roll my eyes, we absolutely need somebody around who knows that shit better than the people who swallow it whole.

Thanks for all the hard work. 

Know thine enemy so to speak.

Thanks for the comments.

PJTS

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Congrats to you as well

iwbiek wrote:

i raise my glass to you, PJ.  come to think of it, my five years is coming up too.  i rarely hit up a forum for more than a couple months tops before i move on, and i fully expected RRS to be the same.  there have been times i've dropped out for a couple months (mostly to cool off when things get really heated, like my old back-and-forths with EXC or Furry), and even once or twice i've vowed never to return, but i always find my way back.

this place has a certain magic to it.  many times, it's been the only place i've been able to dialogue seriously on topics like marxist political theory, buddhist metaphysics, the historical development of judaism, the relationship between mathematics and science, whiskey appreciation--you know, those topics which make your friends in the "real world" start glancing at their smartphones and responding with vague "uh-huhs" and "wow, reallys."

thanks to everybody, past and present.  i've seen 'em come, i've seen 'em go, i've seen a few stick around.  i'm happy to be one.

I agree, I had belonged to others and I never really got into them. After a few months I stopped going to them. RRS is different. The recipe for barbecuing kittens was far better.

Not to mention the cookies!!

We've had a lot of fun people and wackos over the years. All in all it's been a great time and educational.

We all don't agree on politics and economics though I see that as secondary to the main issue which is religions belong in the dimension of never was and never will be or IOW fantasyland.

I look forward to the day when the Torah, Bible and Q'uran are properly found only in the Sci-Fi Fantasy section of bookstores and libraries or in the Horror section.

Here's to 5 more years to y'all as well.

Thanks and keep on with your good work too!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I had 2 major forums before

I had 2 major forums before this. My first was Squaresofts. 0 moderation. Literally. For 2 years that forum stayed clean and on topic with intelligent discussion and debate on various topics, mostly Final Fantasy but everything else too, despite 0 moderation. Then the internet trolls started to arise, and I saw child porn (not nudity, that had been common in the 80's, but actual porn) for the first time. Shortly thereafter they completely changed the forum makeup and heavily restricted html code, and added 2 or 3 corporate moderators. 2 months later someone figured their way past the restrictions, and they shut the forum down completely.
The fallout led to a few forums being created to supply the thousands of us with a new home. None had a fraction of the membership, but all had dozens to hundreds anyway. A guy by the moniker Reythuul Darkmoon set up TSH (The Safe Haven). I eventually became a s mod there, but after awhile it disappeared. Lost contact with most of those people.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I started posting on a few

I started posting on a few gaming sites, but quickly got pissed off at biased theist moderators who would delete my posts and leave the god spewing bullshit there for all to see. Within a week of having had the final straw I found this place. It's like TSH was, but bigger and better funded, and even more open to free speech.
This is the best forum on the net in my experience.