Christianity Dying?

Observer
Observer's picture
Posts: 63
Joined: 2008-09-17
User is offlineOffline

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4888
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Don't need to read the

Don't need to read the article, but all religions eventually die out.


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3360
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Observer

Observer wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/02/03/why-im-optimistic-about-christianitys-future/?intcmp=HPBucket I know it s faux news.... Just though I'd see what people thought of this article

It definitely reads like a propoganda piece FOR Christianity and how it is "stronger than ever"

Which indicates to me that it is probably dying.

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3360
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Don't

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Don't need to read the article, but all religions eventually die out.

I agree.

While the current religions will probably die completely out or morph into something else, new religions of a type may possibly emerge.

I like what someone quoted on a Facebook page, not too long ago :

"Man created god only to justify his own existence."

While Christianity/Islam will die out, the meme that pushes for some type of god belief has a few centuries of sticking around IMO.

For some reason, this makes me think of Brave New World and all people worshipping Ford and making the sign of the T.

However, this might not be the case. No one really knows what the future may hold.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4888
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:I

harleysportster wrote:
I agree.

While the current religions will probably die completely out or morph into something else, new religions of a type may possibly emerge.

I like what someone quoted on a Facebook page, not too long ago :

"Man created god only to justify his own existence."

While Christianity/Islam will die out, the meme that pushes for some type of god belief has a few centuries of sticking around IMO.

For some reason, this makes me think of Brave New World and all people worshipping Ford and making the sign of the T.

However, this might not be the case. No one really knows what the future may hold.

I believe that in order for another religion to be created mankind as a whole will need to regress in to a "dark ages" again. Today with so many ways to communicate with technology people are learning that god does not exist. They are learning that their life will suck or be awesome with out a need to worship a mythological figure.

We have a lot of off-shoots from christianity and islam only because of specific leaders who interpret the "good word" in their own sick and perverted way to satisfy their own ego.

 


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13053
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Christianity has divided too

Christianity has divided too many times to die out any time soon. It has been enshrined in the English language; and probably French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Arabic, etc. too; it's been around for so long. I think it'd take either a minimum of 500+ years or an extreme catastrophe that wiped out most or all of humanity before they could disappear completely. Its final resting place will probably be Africa, provided it withers and dies slowly.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4888
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Christianity

Vastet wrote:
Christianity has divided too many times to die out any time soon. It has been enshrined in the English language; and probably French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Arabic, etc. too; it's been around for so long. I think it'd take either a minimum of 500+ years or an extreme catastrophe that wiped out most or all of humanity before they could disappear completely. Its final resting place will probably be Africa, provided it withers and dies slowly.

Seems reasonable.

 


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3759
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
Why would religion die out

Why would religion die out if the religious produce a higher birth rate than the non-religious? For centuries people have left Catholicism for other churches or secularism. But they keep going because the remaining members have a high birth rate. Keeping women barefoot, subservient and pregnant works unfortunately

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3360
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Why would religion

EXC wrote:

Why would religion die out if the religious produce a higher birth rate than the non-religious? For centuries people have left Catholicism for other churches or secularism. But they keep going because the remaining members have a high birth rate. Keeping women barefoot, subservient and pregnant works unfortunately

I sometimes have been known to wonder if this is one of the reasons that religion has such a strong pro-life stance. Keep breeding indoctrinated theists might be the game that they are playing.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5492
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
religion will continue to

religion will continue to dwindle and will hopefully be gone in a couple years. Irrational thinking will not be.

 

 

 


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3360
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Irrational thinking will not be.

 

I think the human race is pretty much consigned to an existence of irrational thinking. I do agree.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3759
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:EXC

harleysportster wrote:

EXC wrote:

Why would religion die out if the religious produce a higher birth rate than the non-religious? For centuries people have left Catholicism for other churches or secularism. But they keep going because the remaining members have a high birth rate. Keeping women barefoot, subservient and pregnant works unfortunately

I sometimes have been known to wonder if this is one of the reasons that religion has such a strong pro-life stance. Keep breeding indoctrinated theists might be the game that they are playing.

Yes it's one game. The birth rate for atheists/secularists is much lower than fundies' rate.

What I think religion really depends upon is overpopulation caused human misery as fuel to keep going. As long as their is human misery and people can't turn to society or government for help, their will be people fraudsters peddling heaven and powerful invisible friends as antidotes. So it not enough to be just anti-religion, we need to be pro ending human suffering.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen