Not Ashamed Anymore

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not Ashamed Anymore

Ok, growing up I was always late to the "in stuff". While others had BMX bikes with mag rims, I had a Ross with spokes.

At my first year of public high

school, I had crushes on a couple of icons, as do most teens. Farrah was one. But I unfortunately announced during the revolt against disco that I was a fan of ABBA. Oh boy did that get me some beatings.

To the assholes who bullied me, I say FUCK YOU. I love ABBA just like lots of other music. I also like Metallica and Paula Abdul, Harry Connic Jr and Meggadeth.

Viva ABBA!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
What do you mean?

Brian37 wrote:

Take a close look at "Take A Chance On Me" and the blond, her name is Agnetha. But notice in that video they don't focus on her dancing. But with Anni Frid, the dark haired woman they focus more on her dancing in the wide shots. That's because they video makers knew they couldn't focus on that.

I've just watched the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-crgQGdpZR0 version and it seems to match your description, but do you mean that Agnetha can't dance or that her dancing is too racy, or something else?

By the way, I know who they are very well as my youth was in Seventies Australia and they were always on. It was a case of 'not Abba at number one again!'. That's also partly why it was acceptable to jest about them.

This is probably quite accurate:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_number_1_hits_did_ABBA_have_in_Australia_in_the_70s

I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do - Number 1 
Mamma Mia - Number 1 
SOS - Number 1 
Fernando - Number 1

Dancing Queen - Number 1 
Money, Money, Money - Number 1 
Rock Me - Number 2 
Waterloo - Number 4

Chiquitita - Number 4 
Does Your Mother Know - Number 5 
Knowing Me, Knowing You - Number 5 
The Name Of The Game - Number 6 
The Winner Takes It All - Number 7 
Take A Chance On Me - Number 8 
Gimme Gimme Gimme - Number 8 
On And On And On - Number 9

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
No, just that video. If you

No, just that video. If you notice the camera on wide shots pans in on Anni Frid the closeups of the girls dancing pan quickly away from Agnetha(red and white sweater). The producers knew Agnetha could not dance and Anni could, so they worked around that.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Gotcha

Brian37 wrote:

No, just that video. If you notice the camera on wide shots pans in on Anni Frid the closeups of the girls dancing pan quickly away from Agnetha(red and white sweater). The producers knew Agnetha could not dance and Anni could, so they worked around that.

Fair enough.

I'll close for now with what I was struggling to express earlier, which was that light parody of a successful artist is a form of homage.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
x wrote:Brian37 wrote:No,

x wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Fair enough.

I'll close for now with what I was struggling to express earlier, which was that light parody of a successful artist is a form of homage.

I doubt you could get any of their members to call what they did "parody". Considering that they were classically trained musicians.

They did appeal to typical teen angst and hormones. But they covered everything in music including Rockabilly. Do op, funk, disco, hard rock, and jazz. You don't do that with no talent.

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
No no no

Brian37 wrote:

I doubt you could get any of their members to call what they did "parody". Considering that they were classically trained musicians.

They did appeal to typical teen angst and hormones. But they covered everything in music including Rockabilly. Do op, funk, disco, hard rock, and jazz. You don't do that with no talent.

I am referring to the Alan Partridge parody of them I posted, which I consider to be a homage to Abba.

They had talent.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I doubt you

Brian37 wrote:

parody is about caricaturing a recognizable personality, not about musical talent.  abba can be easily parodied because they have a distinct, recognizable ethos.  here in europe, they are highly respected but also frequently parodied because they are so recognizable.  my guess is they're rarely parodied in the US anymore because not too many people know about them anymore.

i can't think of any musician more talented than ray charles, and he's constantly parodied.  ditto stevie wonder, billy idol, bob dylan, the beatles, the stones--for the most part, these guys have a solid reputation in the music world, but their looks and personalities are so strong they're easy and fun to parody.  

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline

triple post

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline

triple post

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Brian37 wrote:I

iwbiek wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

parody is about caricaturing a recognizable personality, not about musical talent.  abba can be easily parodied because they have a distinct, recognizable ethos.  here in europe, they are highly respected but also frequently parodied because they are so recognizable.  my guess is they're rarely parodied in the US anymore because not too many people know about them anymore.

i can't think of any musician more talented than ray charles, and he's constantly parodied.  ditto stevie wonder, billy idol, bob dylan, the beatles, the stones--for the most part, these guys have a solid reputation in the music world, but their looks and personalities are so strong they're easy and fun to parody.  

You have a point. I guess I am being too sensitive. If you read my OP you know why.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
First time I saw a parody it

First time I saw a parody it pissed me off. I was probably 8 or so and I saw a parody of Star Trek somewhere.
Then I saw a parody of Blossom and laughed my ass off.
Afterwards I realised that there will always be parodies of the popular, because valid or otherwise, there are people who despise the popular.
Then I was introduced to Weird Al and saw Space Balls, and I realised my previous realisation only applies to a minority. Usually parodies are done out of respect, and often they must be seen to appeciate the genius inspired by the original genius.

Then the aptly named not another teen series started and I realised art was dying.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:First time I

Vastet wrote:
First time I saw a parody it pissed me off. I was probably 8 or so and I saw a parody of Star Trek somewhere. Then I saw a parody of Blossom and laughed my ass off. Afterwards I realised that there will always be parodies of the popular, because valid or otherwise, there are people who despise the popular. Then I was introduced to Weird Al and saw Space Balls, and I realised my previous realisation only applies to a minority. Usually parodies are done out of respect, and often they must be seen to appeciate the genius inspired by the original genius. Then the aptly named not another teen series started and I realised art was dying.

Maybe done in the UK or Canada or Australia or Europe, I could understand it. But there was a real hatred for ABBA in the late 70s and early 80s. I guess I am sensitive to that, but I do get what you are saying.

Shit I have parodied lots of things I personally like in songs or movies or people, so I do get it. I loved Star Wars AND Space Balls.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Meh. I never heard a bad

Meh. I never heard a bad word about Abba. Anyone who spoke of them thought they were amazing for singing songs in English when they couldn't speak English, whether they liked the music or not.

America is weird. Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Meh. I never

Vastet wrote:
Meh. I never heard a bad word about Abba. Anyone who spoke of them thought they were amazing for singing songs in English when they couldn't speak English, whether they liked the music or not. America is weird. :P

No we are not weird we are fucked up. I love my country I do, but I do not like everything we have done.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Please dont stop the music !!

Re:: Please dont stop the music !!

Brian37 wrote:

..the blond, her name is Agnethan ..

Two links to add . .

Link : youtube.com/watch?v=g1ALgn_H1J8 AND

Link : youtube.com/watch?v=F1jc2Cbz7wg

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote:Re::

danatemporary wrote:
Re:: Please dont stop the music !!
Brian37 wrote:

..the blond, her name is Agnethan ..

Two links to add . . Link : youtube.com/watch?v=g1ALgn_H1J8 AND

Link : youtube.com/watch?v=F1jc2Cbz7wg

Where did you get the "n" from? The way I constantly see her name spelled is "Agnetha"

Although I cant say for sure, my bet before I click on those links is that I have seen them elsewhere on other links.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
re:: Still found time to highlight a post ABBA song in 1st

The first link is a link for your enjoyment .. See:Image

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote: The

danatemporary wrote:
The first link is a link for your enjoyment .. See:Image

YOU still missed my point. I get all this. But in your prior post, please review you added an "n" to "Agnethan" and I don't think there has ever been an "n" at the end of her name. Here name is Agnetha, not "Agnethan". I am chalking that up to a typo.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:First time I

Vastet wrote:
First time I saw a parody it pissed me off. I was probably 8 or so and I saw a parody of Star Trek somewhere. Then I saw a parody of Blossom and laughed my ass off. Afterwards I realised that there will always be parodies of the popular, because valid or otherwise, there are people who despise the popular. Then I was introduced to Weird Al and saw Space Balls, and I realised my previous realisation only applies to a minority. Usually parodies are done out of respect

I agree that parodies are often done out of respect.T hey said when Weird Al did that send up of Nirvana's "Smells like Teen Spirit" that Kurt Cobain laughed his ass off when he saw the video.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Vastet

harleysportster wrote:

Vastet wrote:
First time I saw a parody it pissed me off. I was probably 8 or so and I saw a parody of Star Trek somewhere. Then I saw a parody of Blossom and laughed my ass off. Afterwards I realised that there will always be parodies of the popular, because valid or otherwise, there are people who despise the popular. Then I was introduced to Weird Al and saw Space Balls, and I realised my previous realisation only applies to a minority. Usually parodies are done out of respect

I agree that parodies are often done out of respect.T hey said when Weird Al did that send up of Nirvana's "Smells like Teen Spirit" that Kurt Cobain laughed his ass off when he saw the video.

Yea I get this. But again, I am a bit insecure about ABBA because there were real bullies who hated me for liking them. But when humor is among friends, yea I got no problem with that.

But now I am old enough and wiser to not give one fuck anymore. VIVA ABBA!

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Yea I get

Brian37 wrote:

Yea I get this. But again, I am a bit insecure about ABBA because there were real bullies who hated me for liking them. But when humor is among friends, yea I got no problem with that.

But now I am old enough and wiser to not give one fuck anymore. VIVA ABBA!

Well there you go.

I actually happen to have this dislike for these guys at work that are always calling everything gay.

For instance, when Emmylou Harris was in my town and I happened to mention that my girlfriend and I were going, they said " Oh that is so gay."

I know they don't mean anything by it, but I just get so tired of hearing "Oh that's gay." When anything and everything comes up.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is the link. For some

Here is the link. For some reason I cannot embed it here.  But here is a new video from Agnetha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w95WdpE6QAI#!