Not Ashamed Anymore

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not Ashamed Anymore

Ok, growing up I was always late to the "in stuff". While others had BMX bikes with mag rims, I had a Ross with spokes.

At my first year of public high

school, I had crushes on a couple of icons, as do most teens. Farrah was one. But I unfortunately announced during the revolt against disco that I was a fan of ABBA. Oh boy did that get me some beatings.

To the assholes who bullied me, I say FUCK YOU. I love ABBA just like lots of other music. I also like Metallica and Paula Abdul, Harry Connic Jr and Meggadeth.

Viva ABBA!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I wrote this spoof as an

I wrote this spoof as an ode to ABBA and "Dancing Queen".

Faux Punditry(Fucks News)

They distort, they always lie
Having put facts aside
See that crap, watch them breed
Faux Punditry

Friday night and all week long
Looking out for mind rot blow
With the right asshole
Hannity will do
You're in the mood for crap

Anyone could be that dense
The no spin zone is just that
With a bit of twisting, anything makes sense
You're in the mood for crap
And when you fall for it.......

Faux Punditry
Wait and see, it's all fact free
Oh yea
Faux punditry

You're a channel
We should turn off
Ruppart Murdroch (sp)
Can lick my balls

Faux punditry
Wait and see, it's all fact free
Faux punditry
Screw Hannity OH YEA

Putting the truth aside
Ohhh see that tripe, watch me scream
At Faux Punditry

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
wow, seriously?  guys in

wow, seriously?  guys in your generation actually beat each other up over musical tastes?

shit, when i was in high school, if somebody said he liked abba, we might chuckle a bit and call him a fag, but there wouldn't be any serious social ramifications, and certainly no physical violence.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:wow,

iwbiek wrote:

wow, seriously?  guys in your generation actually beat each other up over musical tastes?

shit, when i was in high school, if somebody said he liked abba, we might chuckle a bit and call him a fag, but there wouldn't be any serious social ramifications, and certainly no physical violence.

You probably were big enough to defend yourself, I wasn't.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I want to start a petition

I want to start a petition to appeal to ABBA to go back on tour.

DO IT ABBA DO IT OR I WILL WAG MY FINGER AT YOU!

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:iwbiek

Brian37 wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

You probably were big enough to defend yourself, I wasn't.

but not only was i never the victim of music-related violence, i never even witnessed it, and i came up through an eastern kentucky school with a bunch of redneck boys, where there were bloody fist-fights almost every day.  i've seen teenage boys fight over almost everything, but never music.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: To the

Brian37 wrote:

To the assholes who bullied me, I say FUCK YOU. I love ABBA just like lots of other music. I also like Metallica and Paula Abdul, Harry Connic Jr and Meggadeth.

Viva ABBA!

Yeah Brian, I'm like you in that regard.   I've got tons of CDs of "gay" bands like Depeche Mode, Deee-Lite, Oingo Boingo, B 52's, Bjork, Orgy, etc.   In complete contrast I also listen to Ministry, Suicidal Tendencies, Slayer ( "South of Heaven" is great ) and even throw in some Junior Brown who is dangerously close to full-blown Country and Western. 

Variety is always good otherwise it gets boring.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Yeah Brian, I'm like you in that regard.   I've got tons of CDs of "gay" bands like Depeche Mode, Deee-Lite, Oingo Boingo, B 52's, Bjork, Orgy, etc.   In complete contrast I also listen to Ministry, Suicidal Tendencies, Slayer ( "South of Heaven" is great ) and even throw in some Junior Brown who is dangerously close to full-blown Country and Western. 

Variety is always good otherwise it gets boring.

Count me in on eclectic tastes.

My current shelf has everything from Randy Travis, to Slayer (Reign in Blood was my favorite) to The Rolling Stones, to the Kidneythieves, to Depeche Mode to techno stuff like Juno Reactor and Fever Ray.

It all depends on what type of mood I am in.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
You want to listen to music

You want to listen to music that might have gotten you towel whipped in the locker room, Roxette was always good.

I bought a B52's album once, after hearing a couple songs I liked from them. Only album I regret buying. That group was on a permanent acid trip.

The only genres I can't stand are rap and country. Everything else has at least something I like.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lyrics do help me get into

Lyrics do help me get into things I don't normally listen to. I like a couple country songs because they talk of social justice and equality. I also like atheist rap depending on the artist.

But mostly I am disco/80s metal and 80s pop. Like contemporary jazz and big band too.

I just wrote a poem "Abide" about ABBA it is the last in my poetry thread. It is about my divorce and how well it ended.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 What's with all the

What's with all the country hating? I like country from crying country to bluegrass to country rock. I even know how to square dance. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: What's

Beyond Saving wrote:

What's with all the country hating? I like country from crying country to bluegrass to country rock. I even know how to square dance. 

Why are you posting here? Not that you cant. But I find it highly ironic that I start a post about a band that has made record companies billions over the past 30 years but Bubble Boy thinks I hate the private sector and cries "you want to rob me" when your guy doesn't win.

You are the crying queen

Crying robbery

Crying queen

Feel the heat of reality

People have their tastes. Country is not my thing but occasionally I have been introduced to some songs, which you wouldn't like, like Woodie Guthrie who was pro worker. And because of my Banjo playing friend Hillbilly Atheist, turned me onto his music which talked about the corporate bullying that caused the great depression. Woodie was not poor. but got rich advocating for workers.

What other music do you like Bubble Boy?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i love country too.  it's

i love country too.  it's one of the more challenging genres of popular music to play, actually.  blues and jazz guitar may be flashy, but as a lead guitarist i can tell you country is much more difficult to play well.

i don't like much country past the '80s though.  in my opinion, it all went downhill once garth got big, and shania twain was the first nail in the coffin that was sealed with taylor swift.

i play mostly outlaw country or bakersfield sound country, the kind typified by waylon and willie, merle haggard, jerry jeff walker, and buck owens.  i also love texas folk country like kris kristofferson, guy clark and townes van zandt.  in college i was a cash fanatic but i don't play his stuff much anymore.  honestly, i'd say my biggest musical influence, especially in terms of vocals, is waylon.  i play country with a hard rock edge and i very rarely pick up my acoustic anymore during a show.

i liked and played bluegrass a lot in college but i started to find the genre extremely limited and most of the musicians stuffy traditionalists with dogmatic views on what should be played, how, and on what instruments.  i've been in a room with three bluegrass banjo players during a jam and all three of them played the same old solo, note for note, one after the other,  the same way earl scruggs did it.  that's when i knew i was done with bluegrass.  ironically, my favorite bluegrass musician for the past several years has been jerry garcia.  his and david grisman's bluegrass version of "wild horses" is, imo, exactly where the genre should be headed.

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I have been

Brian37 wrote:

I have been introduced to some songs, which you wouldn't like, like Woodie Guthrie who was pro worker.

why wouldn't he like woody guthrie?  if he sounds good, he sounds good.  i love the old southern gospel songs and i'll join in a chorus of "angel band" or "crying holy unto the lord" with as much gusto as anyone else.  hell, "will the circle be unbroken?" has been one of my band's staples for years.

as a matter of fact, woody did quite a few gospel songs himself.  do you not like those?

--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Brian37 wrote:I

iwbiek wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

I have been introduced to some songs, which you wouldn't like, like Woodie Guthrie who was pro worker.

why wouldn't he like woody guthrie?  if he sounds good, he sounds good.  i love the old southern gospel songs and i'll join in a chorus of "angel band" or "crying holy unto the lord" with as much gusto as anyone else.  hell, "will the circle be unbroken?" has been one of my band's staples for years.

as a matter of fact, woody did quite a few gospel songs himself.  do you not like those?

He talks about me as if I should hate the NFL because I am for labor. But if he likes Woodie then he cant talk much because many of Woodie's songs were about the plight of the worker.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I hardly allow whether or

I hardly allow whether or not I agree with the message of music to decide if I like it.

Love outlaw country. I stuck with country throughout the 90's but yeah, I can't stand the teeny bopper Taylor Swift type country so I rarely listen to country radio anymore, but I have plenty on my pandora playlist. 

Right now I mostly listen to rock, which I am not devoted to a particular type. I even listen to some xtian rock like Skillet, Casting Crowns and Switchfoot. I am particularly fond of good acoustic music and coffee house style bands although from time to time I've been known to crank up the Rob Zombie.  

I also listen to some rap, top 40, R&B, classical, opera etc. I think good music can be found in pretty much any genre and all genre's have their shit too. I have music on in my house almost constantly and I think variety is the spice of life.   

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i love country

iwbiek wrote:

i love country too.  it's one of the more challenging genres of popular music to play, actually.  blues and jazz guitar may be flashy, but as a lead guitarist i can tell you country is much more difficult to play well.

i don't like much country past the '80s though.  in my opinion, it all went downhill once garth got big, and shania twain was the first nail in the coffin that was sealed with taylor swift.

i play mostly outlaw country or bakersfield sound country, the kind typified by waylon and willie, merle haggard, jerry jeff walker, and buck owens.  i also love texas folk country like kris kristofferson, guy clark and townes van zandt.  in college i was a cash fanatic but i don't play his stuff much anymore.  honestly, i'd say my biggest musical influence, especially in terms of vocals, is waylon.  i play country with a hard rock edge and i very rarely pick up my acoustic anymore during a show.

i liked and played bluegrass a lot in college but i started to find the genre extremely limited and most of the musicians stuffy traditionalists with dogmatic views on what should be played, how, and on what instruments.  i've been in a room with three bluegrass banjo players during a jam and all three of them played the same old solo, note for note, one after the other,  the same way earl scruggs did it.  that's when i knew i was done with bluegrass.  ironically, my favorite bluegrass musician for the past several years has been jerry garcia.  his and david grisman's bluegrass version of "wild horses" is, imo, exactly where the genre should be headed.

I like the old style country myself. Especially the outlaw country. I almost detest this "pop" country that dominates the charts today, although I will admit that I even like some of that.

I don't know a lot about actual bluegrass. I knew some local bluegrass bands in New Jersey. Some were hard core traditionalists that would not touch an electronic instrument and others were electic and like to play like Alisson Krauss and Union Station. Some I like, some I do not.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:  I

Beyond Saving wrote:

I like country from crying country to bluegrass to country rock. I even know how to square dance. 

Same here. All except the square dancing. Ironic that my home state of New Jersey, of all places, is where it originated. EDIT : Not originated like got invented, but first took off and got popular.

But then again, the first baseball game played in America was played in my hometown and I can't stand baseball.

I guess I am just weird.

― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: I

Beyond Saving wrote:

I hardly allow whether or not I agree with the message of music to decide if I like it.

Love outlaw country. I stuck with country throughout the 90's but yeah, I can't stand the teeny bopper Taylor Swift type country so I rarely listen to country radio anymore, but I have plenty on my pandora playlist. 

Right now I mostly listen to rock, which I am not devoted to a particular type. I even listen to some xtian rock like Skillet, Casting Crowns and Switchfoot. I am particularly fond of good acoustic music and coffee house style bands although from time to time I've been known to crank up the Rob Zombie.  

I also listen to some rap, top 40, R&B, classical, opera etc. I think good music can be found in pretty much any genre and all genre's have their shit too. I have music on in my house almost constantly and I think variety is the spice of life.   

The silence speaks volumes.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Beyond

harleysportster wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

I like country from crying country to bluegrass to country rock. I even know how to square dance. 

Same here. All except the square dancing. Ironic that my home state of New Jersey, of all places, is where it originated. EDIT : Not originated like got invented, but first took off and got popular.

But then again, the first baseball game played in America was played in my hometown and I can't stand baseball.

I guess I am just weird.

I'm a native born Texan whose been around country music my whole life and I still can't tolerate it.  Like I said earlier, I made an exception for Junior Brown but he is a performer who has a  lot of cross-over appeal to the tattooed, pierced rockabilly crowd and beyond.  I love his song called "Highway Patrol"

I also like the Mexican born Julieta Venegas.   She combines a musical, artsy pop-style with a Mexican folkish sound.  She's like the musical equivalent of Frida Kahlo, combing traditional styles with a modern infusion.   She's super good looking, too.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Beyond Saving

Brian37 wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

What silence? I have been accused of many things, I don't think silence is among them...

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

What silence? I have been accused of many things, I don't think silence is among them...

Thats ok Bubble Boy, the wiff of irony going over your head probably dried the Trump quaff on your head.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: I bought a

Vastet wrote:
I bought a B52's album once, after hearing a couple songs I liked from them. Only album I regret buying. That group was on a permanent acid trip.

I must agree. I bought a B-52 album a long time ago and I think that was one of the most disappointing albums that I ever bought. I don't even remember the name of it, but I do remember not even being able to finish it all the way through.

I absolutely hate it when a certain band puts out radio friendly singles, only to find out that is the only thing worth listening to on the entire album.

There were a couple of bands from the early 90's that I can remember that did that. I would hear their singles on the radio, go out and purchase the album, only to find out that everything else on there was utter garbage.

It was one of the things that lead me to stop buying albums.

Once in a great while, I get surprised.

But these days, easier for me to create a youtube playlist, put it on in a separate tab, and listen to it through the headphones while I am at the computer.

― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Being a

Being a HUGE Rolling Stones fan, I have to say that the most disappointing albums for me were "Satanic Majesties Request" and "Black and Blue". I never did understand why my favorite Rock and Roll band didn't pull those from the strores. (Although even those had some salvageable hits).

But then again, that could be me.

I never was a Beatles fan and thought that "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club" was just plain deplorable.

The reason I brought that up, is I had a friend that used to prattle on about how one could not deny the Beatles were SO MUCH GREATER THAN THE STONES, and used to tout that Sgt Pepper album like it was a milestone.

He seemed absolutely horrified when I informed him that I thought it was garbage.

― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: What's

Beyond Saving wrote:

It's 99% all the same.

Rap is constantly discussion of various criminal and macho bs with a shitty beat which disqualifies it as music entirely. Angry poetry is the essence of rap.

Country is all cars and busted relationships and depressing. It's music, but designed to put you down and make you sad; from the tune to the words. I prefer uplifting music.

I have to this day never heard a rap or country song that moved me in any way other than trying to get away from it.

I can squaredance too. But I'd rather do it to Metallica. Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Being

harleysportster wrote:

Being a HUGE Rolling Stones fan, I have to say that the most disappointing albums for me were "Satanic Majesties Request" and "Black and Blue". I never did understand why my favorite Rock and Roll band didn't pull those from the strores. (Although even those had some salvageable hits).

But then again, that could be me.

I never was a Beatles fan and thought that "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club" was just plain deplorable.

The reason I brought that up, is I had a friend that used to prattle on about how one could not deny the Beatles were SO MUCH GREATER THAN THE STONES, and used to tout that Sgt Pepper album like it was a milestone.

He seemed absolutely horrified when I informed him that I thought it was garbage.

oh you beautiful sumbitch, i wish you were a chick!

i fuckin' adore the stones and can't stomach the beatles.  they're just so goddamn saccharine.  i've really tried hard to like the beatles, just because everybody is so horrified when i say i can't stand them, i felt like i must be missing something.  especially here in central europe they're considered unimpeachable gods.  but no, they fuckin' suck!

the stones, however, really do it for me, especially everything from beggar's banquet through steel wheels--except, as you said, satanic majesty's.  i also love their early stuff, when they were basically a blues and r & b cover band, but after the early '80s i think they just stopped trying.  i do love the single they came out with a couple years ago, however, called "don't stop."  it sounds like something off tattoo you.

i mean, the beatles got so heavy-handed with their peace and love message bullshit, while the stones just celebrated pure, unfiltered hedonism, and that to me was true poetry.  you can keep "yellow submarine," give me keith richards belting out "little t & a" or mick wailing on "star star," now that's profound!  i had a fling with a girl in college and called her rock 'n' roll just because of "little t & a."  she knew the reference too and she ate it up.

what's your favorite album?  i'm pretty typical in that i'm an exile on main street man, though i like let it bleed a lot too.  once in college when i worked as a cashier at the mall a girl of about 17 or 18 came up with a stones t-shirt on and i asked her which album was her favorite.  she told me steel wheels and i thought, "holy shit, steel wheels!?  this chick is interesting!"  i asked her for her number but no dice.  she was taken, or so she claimed.  probably she was put off by how cocky i was in those days.  she was really sweet about it though.  ahhh, life is cruel...

--Hunter S. Thompson

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:oh you

iwbiek wrote:

oh you beautiful sumbitch, i wish you were a chick!

i fuckin' adore the stones and can't stomach the beatles.  they're just so goddamn saccharine.  i've really tried hard to like the beatles, just because everybody is so horrified when i say i can't stand them, i felt like i must be missing something.  especially here in central europe they're considered unimpeachable gods.  but no, they fuckin' suck!

Laughing out loud  Glad to know that I am not the only one that feels that way about the Beatles.

iwbiek wrote:
i mean, the beatles got so heavy-handed with their peace and love message bullshit, while the stones just celebrated pure, unfiltered hedonism, and that to me was true poetry.  you can keep "yellow submarine," give me keith richards belting out "little t & a" or mick wailing on "star star," now that's profound!  i had a fling with a girl in college and called her rock 'n' roll just because of "little t & a."  she knew the reference too and she ate it up.

Same here. I get SO SICK of all of Harrison's phony spirituality worship and Lennon's "peace" worship from their fans. (when you study them in reality, you find out that they were just fucked up in the head and followed a phony like Mahareeshh or whatever his name was). About the only thing that the Beatles accomplished that was semi-tolerable was the use of the sitar on Norwegian Wood. I liked the song, Let it Be, for awhile, but the classic rock radio stations have beat it into the ground so much that I can barely stand it these days.

BUT, I thought that Brian Jones sitar renditions were  way better (and long before the Beatles were fooling with it). Especially the use in the Stones song "Tell Me" which had the perfect scene and timing for that movie, Mean Streets.

iwbiek wrote:

what's your favorite album?  i'm pretty typical in that i'm an exile on main street man, though i like let it bleed a lot too.  once in college when i worked as a cashier at the mall a girl of about 17 or 18 came up with a stones t-shirt on and i asked her which album was her favorite.  she told me steel wheels and i thought, "holy shit, steel wheels!?  this chick is interesting!"  i asked her for her number but no dice.  she was taken, or so she claimed.  probably she was put off by how cocky i was in those days.  she was really sweet about it though.  ahhh, life is cruel...

Everything pretty much from the time of Jones and the early Stones, with the exception of Satanic Majesties, was awesome to me. But, like you, I have to give the typical answer of Exile on Main Street and Sticky Fingers, as those are the ones that seem to find their way into my CD player the most. Some Girls ends up in my CD player a lot.

Mid-80's Stones were not as great to me, although I must admit that Steel Wheels, Tattoo You and Undercover of the Night had some good tunes on it. I DID enjoy the albums, Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon in the 90's. While I did not like the "Anybody Seen My Baby" single, the album was pretty good.

I too, use lines from Stone songs with my girlfriend. I have said, strange stray cat, siamese cat of a girl, sweetest pet in the world, under my thumb, and a several others at different moments. Sometimes she catches the lines and other  times not.

― Giordano Bruno

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote: BUT,

harleysportster wrote:

BUT, I thought that Brian Jones sitar renditions were  way better (and long before the Beatles were fooling with it). Especially the use in the Stones song "Tell Me" which had the perfect scene and timing for that movie, Mean Streets.

oh yeah, brian jones was a genius on stringed instrumets.  too bad he couldn't keep his shit together.  i also love the sitar on "mother's little helper."  one of my favorite early stones albums is between the buttons.  if i only had horns in my band, i'd do "connection" all the time.

--Hunter S. Thompson

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:oh yeah, brian

iwbiek wrote:

oh yeah, brian jones was a genius on stringed instrumets.  too bad he couldn't keep his shit together.  i also love the sitar on "mother's little helper."  one of my favorite early stones albums is between the buttons.  if i only had horns in my band, i'd do "connection" all the time.

Between the Buttons was a good album.

I must admit that although some may accuse me of sappy naive romanticism, I still love to hear Ruby Tuesday and count that one among one of my top 5 Stones songs, along with As Tears Go By.

Mother's Little Helper is another cool tune that gets used as one of my inside joke lines a lot.

I don't remember if it was Bill Wyman or Brian Jones that played those riffs on Paint it Black that had not been used on any rock and roll tune before. I remember Wyman's riff were made pretty popular on the end of 19th Nervous Breakdown, and it was funny that the all those killer bass riffs on Jumpin Jack Flash were played by Keith Richards originally.

Goddamn, I am going to have to get out the headphones and tunes in a minute.

― Giordano Bruno

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote: I

harleysportster wrote:

I must admit that although some may accuse me of sappy naive romanticism, I still love to hear Ruby Tuesday and count that one among one of my top 5 Stones songs, along with As Tears Go By.

i love both of those.  i also love "she's like a rainbow," which i believe, ironically, was from satanic majesty's.  i love how the early stones experimented with medieval-sounding instruments like the harpsichord.  "lady jane" is another good example.  i love their '70s barroom brawling type music, but it's a pity they gave up that early experimentation for a more formulaic approach.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not many aware of Pat

Not many aware of Pat Benatar, meaning aware of but not active fans, know that she she did remakes of John Cougar's "I need a lover", and "Helter Skelter" of Beatles fame. I actually love those more than the originals.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Not many aware

Brian37 wrote:

Not many aware of Pat Benatar, meaning aware of but not active fans, know that she she did remakes of John Cougar's "I need a lover", and "Helter Skelter" of Beatles fame. I actually love those more than the originals.

I too, liked Benatar's version of "I need a lover" a lot better. Never was a big Mellencamp fan.

I didn't know that she did a version of Helter Skelter. Interesting.

― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i love both of

iwbiek wrote:

i love both of those.  i also love "she's like a rainbow," which i believe, ironically, was from satanic majesty's.  i love how the early stones experimented with medieval-sounding instruments like the harpsichord.  "lady jane" is another good example.  i love their '70s barroom brawling type music, but it's a pity they gave up that early experimentation for a more formulaic approach.

Lady Jane and She's a Rainbow are on my top lists of Stones tunes as well.

I agree that the early medieval sounding experimentation was pretty good.

I like the harpischord on an early one called : Ride On.

It does seem that Exile on Main Street set the standard for all of the 70s hard core blues and rock tunes.

I could hear the influences on Goat's Head Soup, It's Only Rock and Roll and a couple of others.

It seems like the death of Brian Jones and the addition of Mick Taylor contributed to an end of the experimentation.

Of course, I still think of Ron Wood as the new guy for some reason, even though he has been with them the longest, out of the Jones, Taylor, Wood line up.

― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

I too, liked Benatar's version of "I need a lover" a lot better. Never was a big Mellencamp fan.

I didn't know that she did a version of Helter Skelter. Interesting.

Most people don't.

I really would love to hear, say Metallica do a version of ABBA's "The Name Of The Game"

That song had a creeping(not creepy) but creeping melody to it, something Metallica was great at. And it also has the built in "crunch" that Metallica could exploit.

Much like the original Helter Skelter was ok, but Pat Benatar threw gas on the fire.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would love to see any

I would love to see any metal band do a version of Pat Benatar's "Tough life".

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
https://www.facebook.com/Agne

https://www.facebook.com/AgnethaFaltskogsComeback?ref=ts&fref=ts

She's got a new album coming out, it will be interesting to her now.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another band I liked was Air

Another band I liked was Air Supply, "Every woman in the world".

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
My mom spoils me rotten. She

My mom spoils me rotten. She just bought me a double CD/DVD of ABBA now I can watch them on my BIGGER TV without worrying about my computer buffering during the video.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am in ABBA heaven. Just

I am in ABBA heaven. Just found a 24 music feed called "Waterloo Radio" on facebook. They don't just play the hits, they play all the tracks and pre and post ABBA songs and remakes from other artists.

If anyone knows of "One Night In Bangkok", that was a score for a musical play called "Chess" which Benny and Bjorn wrote the music for.

Oh and for those who don't know and I didn't know this either. Phil Collins played drums on Frida's solo hit in the 80s "Something's Going On".

Fuck did I hit paydirt.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
And for those who think ABBA

And for those who think ABBA does not do hard rock, Youtube "Watch Out" by ABBA and the only link I could find that worked was the one with the 45lp in the picture. It is off the "Waterloo album"

I listened to that and damn man, it reminded me of the fast songs by the Eagles on the album "Hotel California", not that song itself, but ones like "Life In the Fast Lane".

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
And for those who think ABBA

And for those who think ABBA does not do hard rock, Youtube "Watch Out" by ABBA and the only link I could find that worked was the one with the vinyl record  in the picture. It is off the "Waterloo album"

I listened to that and damn man, it reminded me of the fast songs by the Eagles on the album "Hotel California", not that song itself, but ones like "Life In the Fast Lane".

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
I didnt listen to that .. (above)

Hey Brian

Two things .. I am woefully ignorant of the ways of the Abba. That said, I have only heard two of their songs sum total of two of them, (in my lifetime). Of them I loved one of them. That is beating the law of averages all to H3ll, with this occurence. The two songs were, Gimme Gimme Gimme and Dancing Queen. I have been heard to be singing Dancing Queen in the car. That is saying somethin' especially when most bands have no more than two good songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFrGuyw1V8s :: (alternative link :: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzP-DW3HwEs)

p.s. -- Within 9 - 17 mins of the avatar change I was on one of their fan sites checking for any news about the band.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thats ok and quite normal.

Thats ok and quite normal. But I will say this Dancing Queen was their biggest hit, but for the hardcore fans, that is not our favorite for most.

Look up "Knowing Me Knowing You" and "The Name Of The Game", those are my two favorites, plus Agnetha and Anni look smoken in those videos. "The Winner Takes It All" is the biggest tear jerker breakup song.

But I just myself heard two songs new to me I never heard of before and DAMN, ABBA had far more of a range  than the U.S. gave them credit for. These following two songs, are KISS material,

"Hey Hey Helen"

"Watch Out"

I'd embed them here but for some reason I cant figure it out on this website.

And as far as them touring again, forget it, they said long ago back in the 80s after they broke up that they wanted people to remember them for their youthful image. Agnetha is putting out a new solo album but I think that is going to be more jazzy and country sounding.

You could find a local tribute band and or go see the Musical in NY.

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
A tribute band (quick medley of songs for the uninitiated)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdP_k2Er8II

Singing starts at about 5:45

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
x

x wrote:

Yea, so when are you going to post anything serious? Like I didn't see this coming.

ABBA has a bad rap like atheists do but I don't find atheists dumb.

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I am being serious

Brian37 wrote:

x wrote:

Yea, so when are you going to post anything serious? Like I didn't see this coming.

I find them quite catchy and acceptable, but also suited to light, but respectful parody.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
x wrote:Brian37 wrote:x

x wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

x wrote:

I find them quite catchy and acceptable, but also suited to light, but respectful parody.

Stop. I hate the word "respect". Look if you don't like them I get that. I don't like soccer or golf.

"Parody" of what? I think they were and are damned good musicians. They got a bad rap in the states. But you don't sell 370,000,000 albums over 40 years if you suck.

Their influence included rockabilly, Celtic and Nordic, Swedish, hard rock, jazz,  and on top of that they sang in French, Spanish and Swedish and English.

What do most bands do if they "Make it", one or two songs on one chart in one country in one language. ABBA had 22 #1 hits. The only other best sellers were the Beatles and maybe Micheal Jackson and Madonna.

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Each to their own

Brian37 wrote:

Stop. I hate the word "respect". Look if you don't like them I get that. I don't like soccer or golf.

"Parody" of what? I think they were and are damned good musicians. They got a bad rap in the states. But you don't sell 370,000,000 albums over 40 years if you suck.

I don't mind them and I don't mind Pop as a genre, though much of it isn't to my taste, but I respect the skill it takes to make good pop songs.

For me, Pop, by its nature is suited to light parody as it can take itself too seriously. Light parody isn't mockery. After watching that clip, some of the catchy lyrics were still running around my head.

I don't like soccer or golf either, but I respect the skill required to play them.

I'll get out of your way now.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
x wrote:Brian37 wrote:Stop.

x wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

I don't mind them and I don't mind Pop as a genre, though much of it isn't to my taste, but I respect the skill it takes to make good pop songs.

For me, Pop, by its nature is suited to light parody as it can take itself too seriously. Light parody isn't mockery. After watching that clip, some of the catchy lyrics were still running around my head.

I don't like soccer or golf either, but I respect the skill required to play them.

I'll get out of your way now.

You are not in my way. Look I have myself described much of ABBA's lyrics as being bubble gum. But like a damned good greasy cheeseburger, with loads of bacon  and a gigantic side of fries, they are even more satisfying than some snooty snot waiter  in a Bestro who thinks you should be in a Tuxedo to ask for water.

Bottom line with ABBA, they were/are far too maligned today considering how much music they influenced since they broke up. I seriously cannot think of any music I listen to  today that I cant think "That note, that riff, that melody reminds me of ABBA, including the likes of Billy Joel, Eagles, STYX, QuarterFlash, Pat Benatar, Metallica, David Sanborn, Harry Conic Jr ect ect ect.

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Some sort of consensus

Brian37 wrote:

You are not in my way. Look I have myself described much of ABBA's lyrics as being bubble gum. But like a damned good greasy cheeseburger, with loads of bacon  and a gigantic side of fries, they are even more satisfying than some snooty snot waiter  in a Bestro who thinks you should be in a Tuxedo to ask for water.

Bottom line with ABBA, they were/are far too maligned today considering how much music they influenced since they broke up. I seriously cannot think of any music I listen to  today that I cant think "That note, that riff, that melody reminds me of ABBA, including the likes of Billy Joel, Eagles, STYX, QuarterFlash, Pat Benatar, Metallica, David Sanborn, Harry Conic Jr ect ect ect.

Um, I pretty much agree. Great pop songs are works of art.

Part of the disconnect seems to be their status in the USA. From what I can gather, in the UK and particularly in Australia they are generally held in high esteem, but since they are pop and so revered, it is considered acceptable to have little light-hearted digs at them every now and then.

For an example of light parody, I reckon that "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to" is a brilliant song, partly because it is also quite silly and is some sort of parody of itself.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
x wrote:Brian37 wrote:You

x wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Um, I pretty much agree. Great pop songs are works of art.

Part of the disconnect seems to be their status in the USA. From what I can gather, in the UK and particularly in Australia they are generally held in high esteem, but since they are pop and so revered, it is considered acceptable to have little light-hearted digs at them every now and then.

For an example of light parody, I reckon that "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to" is a brilliant song, partly because it is also quite silly and is some sort of parody of itself.

Being the nerd who never fit in who is now finally in my mid years accepting myself in my own skin. I can tell you they went through hell, even to become popular where they did.

Take a close look at "Take A Chance On Me" and the blond, her name is Agnetha. But notice in that video they don't focus on her dancing. But with Anni Frid, the dark haired woman they focus more on her dancing in the wide shots. That's because they video makers knew they couldn't focus on that.

ABBA deserves credit in the U.S. , not just where people already accepted them.