Do these hypocrites ever look in the mirror?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do these hypocrites ever look in the mirror?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10860154

DiCaprio wrote:

I am a bit drained. I'm now going to take a long, long break. I've done three films in two years and I'm just worn out. I would like to improve the world a bit. I will fly around the world doing good for the environment

Ok, cool, make tens of millions on a few films and you want a vacation. Can't blame you I would probably do the same thing. But on your vacation you are going to save the environment...by flying around the world...

DiCaprio wrote:

My roof is covered with solar panels. My car is electric. A normal person does not drive more than 50km a day. That can be done with a plug.

Can your private jet fly around the world with a plug? If you are going to harp at me about greenhouse gasses try not to run up a carbon footprint 1000 times higher than I could ever hope to achieve. 

Here is my question, do these millionaire green hypocrites actually believe what they say and somehow rationalize it to themselves? Or do they just get on the green bandwagon for promotional purposes?

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10860154

DiCaprio wrote:

I am a bit drained. I'm now going to take a long, long break. I've done three films in two years and I'm just worn out. I would like to improve the world a bit. I will fly around the world doing good for the environment

Ok, cool, make tens of millions on a few films and you want a vacation. Can't blame you I would probably do the same thing. But on your vacation you are going to save the environment...by flying around the world...

DiCaprio wrote:

My roof is covered with solar panels. My car is electric. A normal person does not drive more than 50km a day. That can be done with a plug.

Can your private jet fly around the world with a plug? If you are going to harp at me about greenhouse gasses try not to run up a carbon footprint 1000 times higher than I could ever hope to achieve. 

Here is my question, do these millionaire green hypocrites actually believe what they say and somehow rationalize it to themselves? Or do they just get on the green bandwagon for promotional purposes?

If use of resources is your issue, I would agree. Here is the thing though. This is not about a film maker disagreeing with your politics. Because while you bitch about a liberal flying around the world, I doubt you have any problem with corporate goons making those fuel hogging planes you say he is being hypocritical using.

I also doubt you'd want some rich fuck lacking ability to buy a gas hog Hummer. It would suck if someone made a social statement at the expense of you making a buck.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Here is

Beyond Saving wrote:

I'd probably say, a little bit of both.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think some of them do want

I think some of them do want to do something, but they are generally far too stupid to do it right.
Though I'd imagine promotional concerns are a huge factor. Their agents and employers would pressure them to say all sorts of shit to promote themselves.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mmmph

DiCaprio wrote:

When your roof is the size of a football stadium and you can afford to pay fifties of thousands for solar panels and storage, no doubt you can go off-grid if you want to. My roof is about 4.6 x 15m, fiercely pitched and overhung with trees. Still, I'd love to be able to buy my car with a recyclable battery pack with a 20 year lifespan and charge it off the roof. Instead I ride a bicycle a 17km round trip to work. And I still would even if I had a battery powered car. 

Could a guy with that profile actually encourage worthwhile environmental preservation? Yeah. He definitely could. But he's such a cranky unpersonable fellow, by all media accounts, it's hard to imagine him being able to pull off preaching to the plebians about worm farming. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:If use of

Brian37 wrote:

If use of resources is your issue, I would agree. Here is the thing though. This is not about a film maker disagreeing with your politics. Because while you bitch about a liberal flying around the world, I doubt you have any problem with corporate goons making those fuel hogging planes you say he is being hypocritical using.

I also doubt you'd want some rich fuck lacking ability to buy a gas hog Hummer. It would suck if someone made a social statement at the expense of you making a buck.

Use of resources isn't my issue- I'm not the one running around telling people they should use less let alone suggesting laws forcing them to use less. My issue is that this guy is going around preaching to everyone else about using less, while at the same time using far more than 99.99% of the worlds population- probably more in just that one year than most of us will use our entire lives. There are plenty of those corporate goons who do the same thing- preach about "saving the environment" while bouncing around the world on their jets. Al Gore certainly falls into that category as well, he has practically invented the idea of making money off of the green movement while living a life of ridiculous excess. With them I am certain it is a calculation simply to make money. With some of the hollywood celebs I get the sense that they might actually have good intentions and are just that stupid. 

I have a lot more respect for the environmentalist that actually uses one sheet of toilet paper, lives in a little shack with limited power and rides a bike as often as possible to get to work etc. IOW someone who actually lives the life they are suggesting other people should be forced live. I still disagree and I am not going to live like that, but at least they practice what they preach. Show me the major figure in the green movement that has the financial ability to live in a football stadium sized house and fly around in private jets but instead lives in something modest, rides public transportation, and does everything they can to minimize their personal impact on the environment. Then perhaps you have someone worth listening to or at least someone worth having a serious discussion about environmental issues with. 

What I don't understand is why the truly dedicated environmentalists don't throw these assholes under the bus. The global climate change summit could be done using "Go To Meeting"- saving the world from a significant amount of pollution- instead every year they fly to one physical location often using private jets and tell everyone in the world to stop emitting greenhouse gasses when each of them just polluted more in one weekend than I will all year regardless of whether I drive a full size truck or fold myself into a battery powered clown car. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:If use of

Brian37 wrote:

for fuck's sake, brian, will you ever just speak to the point he raises and not make everything about the ax you have to grind with him?

christ, you're starting to sound like those commenters who read a fluff piece about a little old lady donating twenty bucks to kids at a lemonade stand and somehow make it about obama.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I think some of

Vastet wrote:
I think some of them do want to do something, but they are generally far too stupid to do it right. Though I'd imagine promotional concerns are a huge factor. Their agents and employers would pressure them to say all sorts of shit to promote themselves.

I'd have to say that I agree with that 100%.

Thing that kills me are these celebrities acting like I really care what they think.

Hell, the way I look at that, they are paid to entertain me in movies and if their movies suck, I don't watch them.

I think most celebrities must have some sort of narcissist disorder. Forever talking about themselves.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno