How long will man live?

ScottWilliams324
atheist
ScottWilliams324's picture
User is offlineOffline
How long will man live?

Let's take a look at how the Christian bible makes the claim that humans used to have much longer lifespans, but then their god decided to shorten it significantly.

Man will no longer live more than 120 years...  

Genesis 6:3 (KJV) And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.  

Man continues to live longer than 120 years for over a millennium…  

Genesis 11:11 (KJV) And Shem lived after he begat Arphaxad five hundred years, and begat sons and daughters.  

Genesis 11:13 (KJV) And Arphaxad lived after he begat Salah four hundred and three years, and begat sons and daughters.  

Genesis 11:15 (KJV) And Salah lived after he begat Eber four hundred and three years, and begat sons and daughters.  

Genesis 11:17 (KJV) 17 And Eber lived after he begat Peleg four hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters.  

Genesis 11:19 (KJV) 19 And Peleg lived after he begat Reu two hundred and nine years, and begat sons and daughters.  

Genesis 11:21 (KJV) 21 And Reu lived after he begat Serug two hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters.  

Genesis 11:23 (KJV) 23 And Serug lived after he begat Nahor two hundred years, and begat sons and daughters.  

Genesis 11:32 (KJV) 32 And the days of Terah were two hundred and five years: and Terah died in Haran.  

Genesis 23:1 (KJV) 1 And Sarah was an hundred and seven and twenty years old: these were the years of the life of Sarah.  

Genesis 25:7 (KJV) 7 And these are the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived, an hundred threescore and fifteen years.  

Genesis 25:17 (KJV) 17 And these are the years of the life of Ishmael, an hundred and thirty and seven years: and he gave up the ghost and died; and was gathered unto his people.  

Genesis 35:28(KJV) 28 And the days of Isaac were an hundred and fourscore years.  

Genesis 47:28 (KJV) 28 And Jacob lived in the land of Egypt seventeen years: so the whole age of Jacob was an hundred forty and seven years.  

Exodus 6:16 (KJV) 16 And these are the names of the sons of Levi according to their generations; Gershon, and Kohath, and Merari: and the years of the life of Levi were an hundred thirty and seven years.  

Exodus 6:18 (KJV) 18 And the sons of Kohath; Amram, and Izhar, and Hebron, and Uzziel: and the years of the life of Kohath were an hundred thirty and three years.  

Exodus 6:20 (KJV) 20 And Amram took him Jochebed his father's sister to wife; and she bare him Aaron and Moses: and the years of the life of Amram were an hundred and thirty and seven years.

Seems to be a bit contradictory, don't you think?

ScottWilliams324
atheist
ScottWilliams324's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I'd edit the above post

I'd edit the above post for better formatting but apparently I don't have access to do that.

*** mod edit - formatted OP. It seemed pretty clear the way you intended it. I am not sure if you originally did cut and paste, but it looked like that. Sometimes it is better to copy to a text editor first that strips the original formatting. Also you can preview before you submit, but that doesn't always appear the same. Damn computers  

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Humn, I think you

Humn, I think you inadvertently displayed the giant wall of gibberish the entire bible is. Good for you.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Scott

My take as a former Christian is that the majority of the men mentioned were god-fearing or well networked, so god would give them a longer life. But as your list shows the lives of people continue to get shorter and shorter as sin is taking hold. The 120 years is a level point. We can now be sure now no matter how much man sins his age will not go above 120. But how odd it was even stated as such back then. Wasn't the average age of humans back then about 40 years. Why was 120 picked?

Well, Moses died interestingly enough exactly at 120, but as the bible says in full strength. So Moses was the cut off point. He was near 80 when he lead the children of Israel out of Egypt. 

I believe the oldest Pharaoh, Neferkare Pepi II, lived to be 100. 

The Pharaoh supposedly at the time of Moses was Thutmose III. He died at 56.

If you were well heeled back then and had good genetics you could live a life as long as we do today, but for the average guy you would live half that amount.

One thing I have noted is that the bible casually mentions Moses was 80 and facing a Pharaoh half his age and yet nothing about that age difference was noteworthy.  That has struck me odd.

What would a 400 to 800 human fossil look like? Could science see that?

Now I will take my Christian hat off

I am ever aware of Daniel Dennett's User Mention Error (UME). In bible speak there is so much of that. "God knew man would sin, why did he allow him if He is loving?" Wait...there is a god  (ume) ?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote: What

ex-minister wrote:

What would a 400 to 800 human fossil look like? Could science see that?

Now I will take my Christian hat off

I know you were just spouting christian nonsense.  But yes, scientists could see if someone lived 400 to 800 years.  While there isn't much difference between someone who is 30 and 40 - in our modern society with good diet and medicine - someone older begins to show bone wear.  Walking around for 100 years, even if you don't have arthritis or other bone disease, the joints begin to show it.   From http://www.ehow.com/how_5529692_determine-age-skeleton.html  
Quote:
Look for ossification (thickening) of the bones. Ossification occurs throughout the body and there are over 800 points in the body to observe this. Bones also fuse together as we age. X-rays make growth plates and their rate of fusion clearly visible.

I believe it is safe to say that a skeleton of an old person without bone damage from normal wear and tear has never been found.  At least according to my archaeology instructor.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.