Doing research on secular persons, need your help

jtmoor
User is offlineOffline
Doing research on secular persons, need your help

I am a researcher that is investigating atheistic/theistic perspectives and personality.  The link below is to a psychological questionnaire that takes 15-30 minutes to complete.  Gathering a secular sample is difficult so I would love all the help I can get.  Please share the link with others.  I'd be very grateful.  Science thanks you

https://www.psychdata.com/s.asp?SID=152255

[edit for Word: Sapient]

jtmoor
User is offlineOffline
This forum doesn't like

This forum doesn't like pasting from Word.  The link is at the very end in the previous post. 

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I believe similar surveys have been done

But I filled it out anyway.  I like taking surveys.  And even though I am a psych major, I tried to be as honest as I could be and not jigger my answers.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

jtmoor
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the honesty. 

Thanks for the honesty.  This study has a lot of unique facets to it that separate it from previous studies.  It addresses a huge research gap in the literature.  I'm looking forward to publishing the results.  Thanks for completing it!

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Taken it

Taken it and answered it.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Done

I had a free 20 minutes, so I did it. Do we get to hear about the results? 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah me too.

I answered 'other' in "What single word best describes my position" and then whacked in agnostic atheism as the 'other'. I couldn't in good conscience select either atheist or agnostic without clarification. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hey there jt

jtmoor wrote:

Thanks for the honesty.  This study has a lot of unique facets to it that separate it from previous studies.  It addresses a huge research gap in the literature.  I'm looking forward to publishing the results.  Thanks for completing it!

be sure to share a link with us when it's all done, won't you. 

Cheers and thanks. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

jtmoor
User is offlineOffline
I'll be glad to share the

I'll be glad to share the results.  Just give me a few months to analyze and interpret things.  Doing some pretty complicated statistical analyses, and then my dissertation committee has to approve it . . . yuck

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 How many more secular

How many more secular voices do you need?  I'll spread it around but I'd like to know how many we're looking for.  Is 5,000 too many?  

Working on your PhD?  If so, what type?

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think

it's 500...

jtmoor
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help everyone.  I have somewhere around 2,400 responses, (out of that, probably have just below 2,000 useable responses).  I'm so surprised at how well the survey did.  The secular community really came out and made their voices known.  I briefly checked the data so far and secular participants outnumber religious participants 3 to 1.  If anything, I need to find out a way to recruit more religious participants so that I can compare the two groups easily.  Thanks again!

jtmoor
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: How many

Sapient wrote:

How many more secular voices do you need?  I'll spread it around but I'd like to know how many we're looking for.  Is 5,000 too many?  

Working on your PhD?  If so, what type?

Working on my counseling psychology phd.  I enjoy performing psychotherapy but I'm leaning towards a career in academia so I can continue needed research like this project.  Thanks for the help, Brian!  Perhaps on my next project I'll hit you up directly to get that 5,000 from you.  I already have a second study in the works that is still being developed.  Going to look at secular persons' experience of aggression and discrimination based on their secular identity. 

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
jtmoor wrote:I'll be glad to

jtmoor wrote:

I'll be glad to share the results.  Just give me a few months to analyze and interpret things.  Doing some pretty complicated statistical analyses, and then my dissertation committee has to approve it . . . yuck

I was a bit hesitant about my answers regarding "harmony" in nature and the "magic" of nature.

While nature and the universe continues to amaze me and give me wonder, I don't find any "spiritual" or "mystical" side to them, so I checked no on those.

The sheer amazement about nature and the universe to me, is because there is nothing spiritual or mystical about them.

IOW, it is the science behind all of them that amaze me.

So, I was not sure how those answers are going to be interpreted.

Just thought that I would inform you of that, before you begin interpreting your answers.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

jtmoor
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the input.  The

Thanks for the input.  The interpretations will be much broader than you think and are mostly looking at how you personally define spiritual health.  The fact that they amaze you was not the targeted construct of those statements, was only looking at whether you linked those statements to a perfect state of spiritual health (and to what degree) and whether your daily life matched that standard or not. 

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Survey?

With all the questions about upper case God the questions are limited to Muslims, Christians and Jews. They are the ones who know which one that means. The upper case is a bias. 4+ billion people do not have this association.

Existence or non-existence as the dichotomy leaves out the "exists but walked away from it after creation so can't know much about it."

Without intending nitpicking truth is philosophy and its common usage still has a strong philosophy component. Yet it goes on to things not being discovered yet which is knowledge not truth. And not nitpicking as discovering facts is commonly used much differently from discovering the truth. And then you start using the word fact. You are confounding knowledge and belief as interchangeable while requiring them be treated differently to answer.

Putting opinions and beliefs in the same category is mixing metaphors. People who associate truth with opinion are the humorous Archie Bunker type while truth and belief is an association cultivated by religion, at least by the religions of the upper case G God.

One has to wonder about 'the most important things in life' and 'fundamental issues in life' if it is where the next meal is coming from instead of a theological crisis.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
My answers would give people

My answers would give people a headache. I could probably write an essay or two on why I gave the answers I did. Enjoy! Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.