William Lane Craig

Antipatris
atheist
Antipatris's picture
User is offlineOffline
William Lane Craig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLSwRcvX72M

We've all had this guy thrown in our face at one time or another. Turns out he's simply another liar. 

Any fans around who want to have a go at explaining this ? 

IntegratedPost
IntegratedPost's picture
User is offlineOffline
@digitalbeachbum,

@digitalbeachbum, harleysportster & blacklight

Okay, I'm sorry you feel that way, but if you ever want to back up your claims about Math Phyz, I'll be waiting.

For Rational Science and Philosophy:
www.integratedpost.com

blacklight915
atheist
blacklight915's picture
User is offlineOffline
IntegratedPost wrote:Okay,

IntegratedPost wrote:

Okay, I'm sorry you feel that way, but if you ever want to back up your claims about Math Phyz, I'll be waiting.

Show me where I've made a single claim about "Math Phyz".

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
IntegratedPost

IntegratedPost wrote:

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
IntegratedPost

IntegratedPost wrote:

Look out! It's TROLL MATH!!!

GodsUseForAMosquito
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
User is offlineOffline
 This whole thread feels

This whole thread feels like its being divided by 0..

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

GodsUseForAMosquito wrote:

This whole thread feels like its being divided by 0..

lol

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
IntegratedPost

IntegratedPost wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

IntegratedPost wrote:

Here are the actual arguments against. WLC's Cosmological Argument.
http://fatfist.hubpages.com/hub/Leibniz-Kalam-Cosmological-Argument-REFUTED-William-Lane-Craig

The Kalaam Argument has been debunked time and time again.

Hardly nothing that mind boggling about that.

SO how would you debunk it? Just curious.  Here's the Argument for God as WLC puts it:

P(1): Whatever begins to exist has a cause.

P(2): The universe began to exist.

P(3): Therefore, the universe has a cause.

HOW do you refute this?

Prove (1).
Prove (2).

It really is that simple. Eye-wink

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's

Vastet wrote:
IntegratedPost wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

IntegratedPost wrote:

Here are the actual arguments against. WLC's Cosmological Argument.
http://fatfist.hubpages.com/hub/Leibniz-Kalam-Cosmological-Argument-REFUTED-William-Lane-Craig

The Kalaam Argument has been debunked time and time again.

Hardly nothing that mind boggling about that.

SO how would you debunk it? Just curious.  Here's the Argument for God as WLC puts it:

HOW do you refute this?

Prove (1). Prove (2). It really is that simple. Eye-wink

Also a question as to whether things can begin to exist in the non-temporal 'place' that exists outside the knowable universe. In the absence of time, how do you know what came first?

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Professor
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Cosmological Argument

Whatever begins to exist has a cause because only God creates Himself, continuously and eternally. If you create yourself, you are God and have refuted atheism! (But God is God, and you are not He.) In Dostoyevsky's THE POSSESSED one of the characters wants to commit suicide to prove he is not afraid of death; that's the same sort of thing. One's moment of triumph in suicide, if there be such, does not last long. Dostoyevsky said, "If people do not believe in God, that means that they will believe in anything...."

Professor
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Cosmological Argument 2

If you believe that the universe has no beginning and is thus self-existent, then the universe is God. So when you say you are "an atheist," you mean that you do not believe in a personal God Who reveals Himself, as does the God of the Bible. Really you are a pantheist. The Bible, God's Word, never tries to prove the existence of God, just as I do not try to prove my existence when I write on the RRS site. God, especially through AtheistExtremist's favorite guy, the apostle Paul, just says that if you miss Him, you are dead and blind. You need to be born again. And certainly religious leaders can be spiritually dead and blind too. Thus the Pharisees put the only perfect man (and God Incarnate), Jesus Christ, to death, but He rose from the dead.

blacklight915
atheist
blacklight915's picture
User is offlineOffline
Professor wrote:The Bible,

Professor wrote:

The Bible, God's Word, never tries to prove the existence of God, just as I do not try to prove my existence when I write on the RRS site.

Yeah, but if our eternal fates depended upon believing you to be the person you claim to be; I would hope you'd put in the extra effort. You know, address, photos, official documents, etc. Those things are really not that hard, even for such limited beings as ourselves.

Professor wrote:

Dostoyevsky said, "If people do not believe in God, that means that they will believe in anything...."

You know, I hear this guy's name a fair amount from Christians. But, honestly, why should I care what he said?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Professor wrote:Whatever

Professor wrote:

Whatever begins to exist has a cause because only God creates Himself, continuously and eternally. If you create yourself, you are God and have refuted atheism! (But God is God, and you are not He.) In Dostoyevsky's THE POSSESSED one of the characters wants to commit suicide to prove he is not afraid of death; that's the same sort of thing. One's moment of triumph in suicide, if there be such, does not last long. Dostoyevsky said, "If people do not believe in God, that means that they will believe in anything...."

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Professor wrote:If you

Professor wrote:

If you believe that the universe has no beginning and is thus self-existent, then the universe is God. So when you say you are "an atheist," you mean that you do not believe in a personal God Who reveals Himself, as does the God of the Bible. Really you are a pantheist. The Bible, God's Word, never tries to prove the existence of God, just as I do not try to prove my existence when I write on the RRS site. God, especially through AtheistExtremist's favorite guy, the apostle Paul, just says that if you miss Him, you are dead and blind. You need to be born again. And certainly religious leaders can be spiritually dead and blind too. Thus the Pharisees put the only perfect man (and God Incarnate), Jesus Christ, to death, but He rose from the dead.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Mmmm

Professor wrote:

Whatever begins to exist has a cause because only God creates Himself, continuously and eternally.

Bald assertion supported by meaningless labels humans lack the context to comprehend. 

Professor wrote:

If you create yourself, you are God and have refuted atheism! (But God is God, and you are not He.) In Dostoyevsky's THE POSSESSED one of the characters wants to commit suicide to prove he is not afraid of death; that's the same sort of thing. One's moment of triumph in suicide, if there be such, does not last long. Dostoyevsky said, "If people do not believe in God, that means that they will believe in anything...."

Appeal to the authority of the bald assertions of the confirmation biased. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Crikey

Professor wrote:

If you believe that the universe has no beginning and is thus self-existent, then the universe is God.

Assertion with no support for first premise. False dichotomy - that the universe was either created by god or it is god. No alternatives are possible. No definitions are supplied. 

Professor wrote:

So when you say you are "an atheist," you mean that you do not believe in a personal God Who reveals Himself, as does the God of the Bible. Really you are a pantheist.

Curiously, the personal god of the bible doesn't care to reveal himself, either. Better to believe and not to have seen, says jesus, winking as he strolls through a closed door. 

As for being a pantheist, you are suggesting that atheists believe the material universe is a supreme being that exists inside itself, outside itself, created itself, is supernatural and cannot be defined. 

Pantheism is an incoherent position held by those prone to generalising the incomprehensible. This is forgivable and entirely human. But it's almost certainly wrong. 

Professor wrote:

The Bible, God's Word,

The bible is so badly written it could not have been written by a being greater than that which can be imagined. It's second hand, unimaginative. The prose is wooden. It's irrational. Morally inconsistent. Its advice is pathetic, its idea of justice devoid of nuance. Its understanding of human physiology and human psychology is non existent. The bible is blind to the fundamentals of natural Gaian systems. God even refers to himself in the third person. It's downright bloody awful. 

Professor wrote:

never tries to prove the existence of God, just as I do not try to prove my existence when I write on the RRS site.

Given 'jesus' spends a good part of his time indulging in petty 'miracles' in the real world it seems likely even the early christians instinctively valued objective truth claims. You couldn't just claim a man was a god. He had to have 'special powers', too. 

Professor wrote:

God, especially through AtheistExtremist's favorite guy, the apostle Paul, just says that if you miss Him, you are dead and blind. You need to be born again. And certainly religious leaders can be spiritually dead and blind too.

Paul employs that age-old irrational argument beloved of priests through the ages - ad hominem. If you disbelieve you are evil, stupid, proud, dead, blind, soon to burn. 

Professor wrote:

But He rose from the dead.

Gods, whatever these might be, alleged to exist outside the universe where objective truth claims are unverifiable, can't die in the mortal sense, so cannot be considered to rise again from 'death' as we understand it. 

In this context, the proposed sacrifice of jesus is meaningless. Small wonder the early church tore itself apart trying to rationalise the internal contradictions of an immortal, perfect, omnipotent, dead god.

It failed.  

Jabberwocky
atheist
User is offlineOffline

Professor wrote:

If you believe that the universe has no beginning and is thus self-existent, then the universe is God. So when you say you are "an atheist," you mean that you do not believe in a personal God Who reveals Himself, as does the God of the Bible. Really you are a pantheist. 

No. You're just trying to posit a false situation where everything ends in some sort of theism. To believe that the Universe is eternal doesn't make you a Pantheist. You have to necessarily believe that there is a level of divinity of it to be labelled a Pantheist. This is a ridiculously childish argument. You realize you've lost, so now you've tacked on more rules to the game in order to make yourself believe that you've won. I hope it feels good. Here is a gold star! 

Theists - If your god is omnipotent, remember the following: He (or she) has the cure for cancer, but won't tell us what it is.

Jabberwocky
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Professor wrote:Thus the

Professor wrote:

Thus the Pharisees put the only perfect man (and God Incarnate), Jesus Christ, to death, but He rose from the dead.

Prove it! Offer us one shred of frigging proof for this assertion. I've only been around for a few decades and change, but it frustrates me that people have been asserting what you said up there with ZERO evidence for the better part of the last 2000 years, and most of the time have gotten away with it. 

Atheism is the rejection of every god claim. That is all it takes. If you decline to believe any of the claims put forth, then you are an atheist. You, on the other hand, have just made a claim. One of the more popular ones. You are now left to prove:

1. A man named Jesus was a self proclaimed Messiah in that time and place

2. His paternity was divine

3. He survived rigor mortis

Bonus: His mother was a virgin (I say "bonus" because you didn't include that in your post, but that usually comes packaged in as well, does it not?)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand go. 

Oh wait, I'm not expecting you to prove anything. Nevermind. 

Theists - If your god is omnipotent, remember the following: He (or she) has the cure for cancer, but won't tell us what it is.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline

Professor wrote:

First of all, the answer to a pre-bang universe has not been solved. So I don't "believe" in anything. There is evidence of what came after the bang, and that is all that we know. No, I can not be a pantheist or a panentheist, because I do not believe the universe is sentient or aware. Might as well worship the wind.

Of course we don't have to prove our existence to post, we are already here. Since when has god posted anywhere ?

The rest of your points are unproven assertions based on a faith that can not be verified or tested.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline

Professor wrote:

Whatever begins to exist has a cause because only God creates Himself, continuously and eternally. If you create yourself, you are God and have refuted atheism! (But God is God, and you are not He.)

Since when have I ever made the claim that I created myself ?

Professor wrote:

Dostoyevsky's THE POSSESSED one of the characters wants to commit suicide to prove he is not afraid of death; that's the same sort of thing. One's moment of triumph in suicide, if there be such, does not last long. Dostoyevsky said, "If people do not believe in God, that means that they will believe in anything...."

“Man is a mystery. It needs to be unravelled, and if you spend your whole life unravelling it, don't say that you've wasted time. I am studying that mystery because I want to be a human being.”
Fyodor Dostoevsky It doesn't sound like Dostoevsky was all that convinced of christianity.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Professor wrote:God,

Professor wrote:

God, especially through AtheistExtremist's favorite guy, the apostle Paul, just says that if you miss Him, you are dead and blind. You need to be born again. And certainly religious leaders can be spiritually dead and blind too. Thus the Pharisees put the only perfect man (and God Incarnate), Jesus Christ, to death, but He rose from the dead.

If I am dead, then I can not be blind.

Please give me a definition of what it means to be "dead and blind?'"

Please also give me an example of modern day religious leaders being in such a state and how you know that they are dead and blind.

Jesus Christ was the only perfect man ? You mean when he was telling followers to leave their families and follow him ? You mean when he said that he did not come to bring peace but a sword ? You mean when he said that he was going to turn brother against sister, father against mother ? Not the type of nutcase that I would follow.

Sounds like a prehistoric Charlie Manson.

― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline

Professor wrote:
Whatever begins to exist has a cause because only God creates Himself, continuously and eternally

Prove it. Because the suggestion that everything needs a cause except one thing is absolutely ridiculous. Only children can get away with such stupidity.

Professor wrote:
If you believe that the universe has no beginning and is thus self-existent, then the universe is God.

Ok, so what? All you're doing is limiting your own god. If the universe is god, then god is unintelligent and unthinking, and does not/can not have any effect on anything. Belief in its status as a god is irrelevant.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Atheistextremist wrote:

Vastet wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

HOW do you refute this?

Prove (1). Prove (2). It really is that simple. Eye-wink

Also a question as to whether things can begin to exist in the non-temporal 'place' that exists outside the knowable universe. In the absence of time, how do you know what came first?

To assume the dimension of time always exists is a self-referential infinite loop.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Professor wrote:

What use does a god have for a sex? I mean what is this HE crap? IT should be the proper pronoun.

Lets keep the rest simple. You are making a shitload of declarations there. Where did you get the KNOWLEDGE to make them? Do you really think they are true? If so, Why?

Most important, are you going to continue to ignore such obvious questions? Answer: Yes!

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Professor wrote:

Perfect man? When it comes to wine at a wedding the guy was pussy whipped by his own mother.

www.ussliberty.org

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

blacklight915 wrote:

Professor wrote:
Dostoyevsky said, "If people do not believe in God, that means that they will believe in anything...."

You know, I hear this guy's name a fair amount from Christians. But, honestly, why should I care what he said?

One would think they would eventually get the transliteration from the cyrillic correct.

www.ussliberty.org

GodsUseForAMosquito
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

blacklight915 wrote:

Professor wrote:

One would think they would eventually get the transliteration from the cyrillic correct.

Agree, this is a poor misquote.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
It's all true

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

You are making a shitload of declarations there. Where did you get the KNOWLEDGE to make them? Do you really think they are true? If so, Why?

because it's in the bible. Which is true because it's the word of god. Because is says so. In the bible.  

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Atheistextremist wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

You are making a shitload of declarations there. Where did you get the KNOWLEDGE to make them? Do you really think they are true? If so, Why?

because it's in the bible. Which is true because it's the word of god. Because is says so. In the bible.

There are a few things in this world I keep being told but never can verify. One of them is this word of god thing for the bible. So far as I can determine the bible does not say it is the word of god any place. That is a contributor to "No one knows when the bible books began being considered religious works."

The same goes for lots of their claims. When they say it is in the bible it usually is not. Certainly almost never in the from of a simple declarative sentence. Rather at best in the muddled argument of some semi-literate 10th c. monk based upon one or more absurd ideas.

www.ussliberty.org

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Interesting

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

There are a few things in this world I keep being told but never can verify. One of them is this word of god thing for the bible. So far as I can determine the bible does not say it is the word of god any place. That is a contributor to "No one knows when the bible books began being considered religious works."

I never thought too hard about that. But it would be pleasing to be able to argue with the (lack of) support of the text that at no time did the bible assert it was god's holy word. 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Elvis has left the building

Damn double posts

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Elvis has left the building

Elvis has left the building people... you can go home now.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
This is why the bible is true...

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness"

2 Timothy 3:16

New International Version (NIV)

Ed: Though you have to wonder at the phrase 'god-breathed'. Given god exists outside space and time you'd think oxygen would be in short supply? 

Or perhaps the authors were speaking metaphorically? Which is a problem when this sentence is the counterbalance to the 'truth' of so many assertions.