The right to bear arms

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
The right to bear arms

I couldn't agree more. The 2nd Amendment must be changed to suit the times. Allow for a single bolt action rifle and a single shot revolver with a small amount of ammo. If you need more, then go to the armory to get the weapon and ammo so you can go hunting or fire at the shooting range. No more vast amounts of ammo and weapons. No more automatic weapons. If you are a collector, then weapons should be unable to fire and disabled. Finally, there should be laws against buying pieces of weapons individually and then putting the weapon together piece by piece.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_Constitution_of_the_United_States#Meaning_of_.22well_regulated_militia.22

news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/anderson-cooper-reads-sister-victim-letter-intended-obama-151325260.html

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:You

digitalbeachbum wrote:

You are naive

books.google.com/books

Some interesting data there.  I only had time to quickly scan it this morning so I may have missed some pertinent data but I noticed 20 something women hung for being witches, some guy who poked his wife's eyes out with a stick, infanticide being a problem among female colonialists, etc.    I only read one instance of a firearm being specifically mentioned ( a musket ) to shoot someone. 

So I wonder, was it gun control laws, mental health checks, waiting periods, gun-free zones, etc  that produced this effect ?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Please excuse me, I've been off my meds and I need to take a break for a while.

I really need to have the doc check my dosage. 

Sorry I don't have time to look up a witty gif in reply.  My apologies.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

You are naive

books.google.com/books

Some interesting data there.  I only had time to quickly scan it this morning so I may have missed some pertinent data but I noticed 20 something women hung for being witches, some guy who poked his wife's eyes out with a stick, infanticide being a problem among female colonialists, etc.    I only read one instance of a firearm being specifically mentioned ( a musket ) to shoot someone. 

So I wonder, was it gun control laws, mental health checks, waiting periods, gun-free zones, etc  that produced this effect ?

The point was that violent crimes back then are nothing compared to today. You don't have people walking in to a mall or a school in 1776 with a fully automated musket shooting 20 people.

The Freedom Group, the group which makes the Bushmaster, sold 1.2 million guns last year with over 2 billion rounds of ammo. WTF?

Where the fuck are all these guns going to? in ten years that 12 million guns and 20 billion rounds of ammo from ONE company. Do we even have that many deer and elk in the world to shoot? Where is all this shit going to?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Sorry

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Sorry I don't have time to look up a witty gif in reply.  My apologies.

LOL

You are a frustrating individual.

I don't want to take away your right to have guns. I believe you should have the right to have the privilege to own guns.

But you will never see my side of things. You are blinded by the propaganda that people like me want to take away your rights. It's the reason why people like this cause me to be an advocate for gun control.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/10/james-yeager-start-killing-people-obama-gun-policy_n_2448751.html

These are the people we need to control.

I have researched personal websites of gun enthusiast and I'm not shocked at what I found. People who are fanatical about guns are literally willing to kill innocent people if gun control is enacted. WTF? Do you support this kind of view? Are you one of these crazy people who put guns and the right to own guns above human lives?

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote: I

digitalbeachbum wrote:
I have researched personal websites of gun enthusiast and I'm not shocked at what I found. People who are fanatical about guns are literally willing to kill innocent people if gun control is enacted. WTF? Do you support this kind of view? Are you one of these crazy people who put guns and the right to own guns above human lives?

I consider myself in support of the Second Amendment, but open to reasonable solutions and regulation.

I'll take a whack at trying to explain the reasoning you’re seeing... or at least a potential line of reasoning.

In the USA there is an assumption made of the "natural rights" of an individual, these rights are defined as a means to support individualism, and the primary vehicle to resist oppression, not just at a physical level (The Government), but an ideological one. The thought being that the first line of defense against an oppressive government, in a democracy, is to propagate a philosophy that doesn't allow for the sacrifice of liberty. Meaning, we as a society will never face an oppressive government, if we do not allow a mindset that affords such a device, this device being a utilitarian adaption, to this ideology, where security and happiness out weight individualism and liberty, in this case.

An individual, who operates from this line of reasoning, placing individualism as inherit right, holds the potential to see a revocation of their right, to self-defense, as a revocation of all their rights. The thought being, what rights do you have if you can't defend them? The justification to kill being seen as a means to defend, one owns right to life, as well as all other rights associated to this ideology.

The question then becomes are you willing to take the guns and put all human lives in jeopardy?

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
neptewn

neptewn wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I consider myself in support of the Second Amendment, but open to reasonable solutions and regulation.

I'll take a whack at trying to explain the reasoning you’re seeing... or at least a potential line of reasoning.

In the USA there is an assumption made of the "natural rights" of an individual, these rights are defined as a means to support individualism, and the primary vehicle to resist oppression, not just at a physical level (The Government), but an ideological one. The thought being that the first line of defense against an oppressive government, in a democracy, is to propagate a philosophy that doesn't allow for the sacrifice of liberty. Meaning, we as a society will never face an oppressive government, if we do not allow a mindset that affords such a device, this device being a utilitarian adaption, to this ideology, where security and happiness out weight individualism and liberty, in this case.

An individual, who operates from this line of reasoning, placing individualism as inherit right, holds the potential to see a revocation of their right, to self-defense, as a revocation of all their rights. The thought being, what rights do you have if you can't defend them? The justification to kill being seen as a means to defend, one owns right to life, as well as all other rights associated to this ideology.

The question then becomes are you willing to take the guns and put all human lives in jeopardy?

I too am a supporter of the 2nd amendment, but their are flaws which need to be fixed. Also, not to forget mentioning the State of Florida which needs to have their rules and regulations improved.

I understand what you have said, but their must be a balance between the rights of the few and the rights of the many.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Beyond

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

When was Brady repealed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brady_Handgun_Violence_Prevention_Act#Opposition_by_National_Rifle_Association

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brady_Handgun_Violence_Prevention_Act#The_Brady_Law_today

Not repealed... it's worthless and in need of overhauling. 30,000 reversals? Laws need to constantly be reviewed and modified to fit the era. The Brady is still in place but it does very little for society compared to what it was meant to do.

Yeah background checks sometimes come up with false positives and upon further investigation the problem is corrected. Obviously it doesn't do what it was meant to do. All us gun nuts told you how poorly it would work before it was passed. Hardened criminals don't buy guns from places that do background checks. Do you propose a law that would be more effective? So far everything I have heard would only effect law abiding citizens, just like Brady.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Also during this discussion you've repeatedly referenced your service in the Marine Corps while at the same time railing against the NRA.  

You are also quite obviously a fan of guilt by association.  

If the NRA is responsible for what Adam Lanza did  then the Marine Corps should be held to the same ethical standard and is therefore responsible for the November 22, 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy since Lee Harvey Oswald was trained in the use of firearms by the Marine Corps.

The Marine Corps is responsible for what Marine Charles Whitman did a few years later when, using sporting weapons, he climbed the UT Austin clock tower and expertly shot and killed 14 innocent people and wounded 32 others....with marksmanship skills acquired in the Marine Corps.

If the NRA as an organization is responsible for various school shootings within the US then the Marine Corps as a whole must also be held responsible for the November 19'th 2005  Haditha Massacre in which 24 unarmed Iraqi men, women and children were murdered by eight Marines who went berserk.

( The fact that most of the charges were dropped against the Haditha shooters is no different that the fact that during the My Lai massacre in Viet Nam all 26 Army defendants went scott free except for Lt. Calley who was later pardoned by the Idiot in Chief, President Nixon.  The military investigating the military is like having John Gotti investigate the Mafia.   It is the ultimate conflict of interest. )

Wow, you continue to amaze me with your ignorance.

I blame the parents because they were ignorant. They probably were all tied up with their personal lives and weren't well informed of the possible treatments for their child. The mother was collecting hundreds of thousands of dollars in alimony and obviously she didn't do enough for her kid. I'm still waiting for the media to actually report the truth behind the issue which led up to this shooting. I suspect that there is stuff being hidden, swept away in to some corner so that no one will find it.

I blame not the Marine Corps for all of those shootings, I blame the government for not having stricter gun control. As I have stated previously, I believe people who want to own weapons should undergo testing every year to give them permission to be gun owners. Gun ownership isn't a fucking right, it's a god damn privilege. It must be earned and right now the system they have in place makes it a "right" to have arms.

(edit)

When it comes to other amendments they modify them to fit the times. What is preventing this amendment from being modified? Is it that the framers got it right and no one should change it? What if they got it wrong? Who is preventing it from being modified? The courts? The NRA? The money?

There is a way to amend the Constitution, feel free to try. Who is preventing it? The majority of your fellow citizens.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Both Canada and

Vastet wrote:
Both Canada and Russia have actually encountered events along these lines. In Canada, back in 1970, was The October Crisis. Which for all intents and purposes was a rebellion against the government. It was crushed after martial law was invoked. In Russia, the issue with Chechen rebels springs up every now and then, and every single time the Russian military squishes their enemy at any cost, and very quickly. 1st world governments are far too powerful to simply overthrow with rebellion. They can be conquered by other 1st world governments, or they can over-extend and collapse, but you can't violently overthrow them from within.

Much the same was said of the British Empire in the 1700's. Certainly such a revolt would require much more than just Texas, and it would help if the country was already collapsing, say for example its debt exceeded gdp... Difficult is not impossible and no country can survive forever. Whether the collapse comes from revolt or other factors, it is better for law abiding citizens to be armed when police power fails.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, so you can go all the

Yes, so you can go all the way back to civil war. Because peaceful transitions of power are boring and you simply MUST be able to mow down a class of children with an automatic from 20 metres away.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:When was the

Vastet wrote:
When was the last genocide against a completely unarmed populace? And how would a well armed populace defend themselves against a well armed and trained army? No matter how many guns you have, you don't have fleets, air forces, missiles, and the tech they have. If a first world nation's military moves to create a genocide, then there will be one. Your gun cabinet won't help.

It has never turned out well for any army to fight a guerilla war against civillian snipers. Having an armed populace is a deterrent.

The problem in the USA we have to worry about is the government going bankrupt, then they won't be able to pay the police and military to keep the peace. Then we'll have warlords trying to eliminate any populace that resists their attempt at control.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Delusions. This isn't the

Delusions. This isn't the 1940's. Put civilian snipers up against a 1st world military and I'll show you a bunch of dead snipers, who got 1 shot off, if they were lucky and the military did absolutely no recon.

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

neptewn wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I too am a supporter of the 2nd amendment, but their are flaws which need to be fixed. Also, not to forget mentioning the State of Florida which needs to have their rules and regulations improved.

I understand what you have said, but their must be a balance between the rights of the few and the rights of the many.

What would be that median value? How many deaths are allowed per year, where guns are involved, before those opposed will settle? When would the many feel happy and secure? 

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Delusions. This

Vastet wrote:
Delusions. This isn't the 1940's. Put civilian snipers up against a 1st world military and I'll show you a bunch of dead snipers, who got 1 shot off, if they were lucky and the military did absolutely no recon.

The last few civilian snipers we had got off far more than one shot. For example, the Beltway Snipers managed to pull off 15 attacks, despite having them in the most protected area (and area with the most gun control) of our country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltway_sniper_attacks 

Anyone who has actually served in the military will tell you than dealing with an enemy who easily blends in with the civilian population is an absolute nightmare, no matter how advanced your intelligence service is. It is precisely why the US, with the most advanced military in the world, has struggled for so long against the backward country of Afghanistan. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apples and oranges again. No

Apples and oranges again. No comparison between 3rd world countries and first world countries. 15 attacks against civilian targets in hardly well defended areas with perfectly legal weapons where the military is not involved is not a revolution in the making. And wasn't very impressive.

You've struggled in afghanistan and other countries because you are stupid and think you can just walk into someone elses home and be welcomed. A vast majority passively resist you, and the remainder kick you as often as they can. That's their job when invaders are on the streets.

Never happen in a 1st world nation, unless the country was already collapsing, as I already laid out.

GodsUseForAMosquito
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Here's a question I don't

Here's a question I don't know the answer to:

Have there been successful Guerrilla uprisings that have not been supported with arms by an external nation?

Anyone know?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

GodsUseForAMosquito wrote:

Here's a question I don't know the answer to:

Have there been successful Guerrilla uprisings that have not been supported with arms by an external nation?

Anyone know?

I don't believe there was any foreign assistance in the Boer Wars in South Africa (except for the assistance given to Britain). While the Boers lost the war, they did end up with favorable terms that gave them many of the things that led to the initial war. However, the modern political reality is that any war is going to gain the attention of global powers and they will support one side or the other (or both). It is hard to imagine that any kind of uprising in a first world country wouldn't lead to both sides getting significant support from foreign powers. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Apples and

Vastet wrote:
Apples and oranges again. No comparison between 3rd world countries and first world countries. 15 attacks against civilian targets in hardly well defended areas with perfectly legal weapons where the military is not involved is not a revolution in the making. And wasn't very impressive. You've struggled in afghanistan and other countries because you are stupid and think you can just walk into someone elses home and be welcomed. A vast majority passively resist you, and the remainder kick you as often as they can. That's their job when invaders are on the streets. Never happen in a 1st world nation, unless the country was already collapsing, as I already laid out.

And in a revolutionary example you have 14 million people actively killing the government soldiers(based on 4.5% of the population actively fighting, the same percentage that fought at any one time during our revolution) plus you have a much larger number of people who are offering passive resistance and supporting the revolutionaries directly or indirectly. That would be a serious threat to any first world military. Like I said, it would be difficult, but then you also have the reality that first world militaries are voluntary and many of the soldiers would refuse to attack citizens, especially using the strongarm tactics required to deal with that type of warfare. To claim that such a revolution would be "impossible" is extremely naive. If you have 20% of a population that has decided revolution is necessary, it is a threat to any government no matter how fancy their military is. There is no such thing as an unbeatable military.  

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote: Are

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Are you one of these crazy people who put guns and the right to own guns above human lives?

Are you one of those crazy Marines who assassinates US Presidents ?" 

Obvious straw man is obvious.   

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:ProzacDeathWish

Vastet wrote:
ProzacDeathWish wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Define well armed..

It's not a specific number of weapons but more of a ratio.  The level of firearms ownership that is sufficient to prevent a government entity from attempting to monopolize the use of force.   There are multiple examples in the Arab world right now of armed revolutions causing a serious impediment to what would otherwise be a one-sided slaughter. 

Sure, but none of that could happen in America, or Canada, or the U.K., or Russia, or China, or Japan, France, Germany, etc. The governments being rebelled against are not world powers by any strech. They are also in the position of having world powers interfering against them. If all Texas somehow suddenly coagulated and rose up as a single violent entity of rebellion, it would be quashed in a week. The resources available to first world governments as incomparable to third world governments.

My point exactly. The fear some of these nutsacks project that "we need a stockpile of weapons in case the government turns in to a dictatorship" is a bullshit arguement.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Both Canada and

Vastet wrote:
Both Canada and Russia have actually encountered events along these lines. In Canada, back in 1970, was The October Crisis. Which for all intents and purposes was a rebellion against the government. It was crushed after martial law was invoked. In Russia, the issue with Chechen rebels springs up every now and then, and every single time the Russian military squishes their enemy at any cost, and very quickly. 1st world governments are far too powerful to simply overthrow with rebellion. They can be conquered by other 1st world governments, or they can over-extend and collapse, but you can't violently overthrow them from within.

You forgot world-wide-epidemic.

One person, infected with a really contagious virus, could wipe out 2/3rds of the world population in less than a week.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Yeah

Beyond Saving wrote:

Yeah background checks sometimes come up with false positives and upon further investigation the problem is corrected. Obviously it doesn't do what it was meant to do. All us gun nuts told you how poorly it would work before it was passed. Hardened criminals don't buy guns from places that do background checks. Do you propose a law that would be more effective? So far everything I have heard would only effect law abiding citizens, just like Brady.

I was in high school when the Brady bill was passed. I didn't have a clue about gun control or anything else beyond getting laid and getting drunk at that age. Now I see what a fucked up bill it was because it didn't focus on the problem of "crazy people getting guns". Yeah, it worked some time but it was too narrow to really do any protection.

I still propose that gun owners get tested as often as I get tested for my real estate license, not this 7 years, pay a $65 fee and there ya go!

If I have to bust my ass to get my license renewed for my job, then people who are handling dangerous weapons need to be tested more often and more strenuously.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:There is

Beyond Saving wrote:

There is a way to amend the Constitution, feel free to try. Who is preventing it? The majority of your fellow citizens.

No.. the minority, the NRA, the lobbyists, the gun manufactures, the money.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:No..

digitalbeachbum wrote:

So people who represent the minority should just bend over and take it in the ass ...to satisfy the majority ?   Being in the majority does not sanctify one's point of view. 

Mob rule is another way the majority manifests itself.   

"Unrestrained democracy is like two wolves and a sheep voting on what to eat."

If the majority of American wanted to revert back to using blacks as slave labor would that make it right ?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Much the

Beyond Saving wrote:
Much the same was said of the British Empire in the 1700's. Certainly such a revolt would require much more than just Texas, and it would help if the country was already collapsing, say for example its debt exceeded gdp... Difficult is not impossible and no country can survive forever. Whether the collapse comes from revolt or other factors, it is better for law abiding citizens to be armed when police power fails.

Are you a doomsday prepper?

Yeah that "law abiding citizens" goes right out the window.. didn't you ever see "The Road"?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:The problem in the

EXC wrote:
The problem in the USA we have to worry about is the government going bankrupt, then they won't be able to pay the police and military to keep the peace. Then we'll have warlords trying to eliminate any populace that resists their attempt at control.

This seems more possible than all other scenarios. The "warlord" aspect is very typical in smaller, lesser countries. The rich form their own militias then rape, pillage, murder and steal from the weak. When do you see "warlords" build hospitals, schools and help the poor?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
neptewn wrote:What would be

neptewn wrote:

What would be that median value? How many deaths are allowed per year, where guns are involved, before those opposed will settle? When would the many feel happy and secure? 

You are always going to have accidents, but I would like to see extremely strict laws punishing the people who commit crimes. The entire "gun control" story actually has other aspects which I don't hear the media talking about: 1) education - not just for handling weapons but for people who are young and deciding that selling drugs and being in a gang is better than going to college. 2) jobs - put people to work, idle hands and minds are killers 3) make automatic weapons illegal along with large capacity drums and magazines.

My question is, how many deaths will it take before people start to realize that the NRA and manufactures are in this for profit and not to protect the public.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote: This

digitalbeachbum wrote:

This seems more possible than all other scenarios. The "warlord" aspect is very typical in smaller, lesser countries. The rich form their own militias then rape, pillage, murder and steal from the weak. When do you see "warlords" build hospitals, schools and help the poor?

I'm reading "Killing Pablo" about the Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar.  He was a billionaire, possessed his own militias to murder his rivals and other enemies, and raped and stole ( and kidnapped ) with utter impunity.      

He also built, soccer fields, hospitals, helped the poor peasants in Medellin and was basically worshiped by the Colombians as a folk hero.   So, yeah the ultra corrupt sometimes engage in philanthropy.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Vastet

Beyond Saving wrote:

Vastet wrote:

The last few civilian snipers we had got off far more than one shot. For example, the Beltway Snipers managed to pull off 15 attacks, despite having them in the most protected area (and area with the most gun control) of our country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltway_sniper_attacks 

Anyone who has actually served in the military will tell you than dealing with an enemy who easily blends in with the civilian population is an absolute nightmare, no matter how advanced your intelligence service is. It is precisely why the US, with the most advanced military in the world, has struggled for so long against the backward country of Afghanistan. 

The issue of one sniper (The Beltway Sniper) is similar but different than Afghanistan or Vietnam.

In cases where the military has had snipers in Afghanistan the snipers rarely get away. Air superiority rules.

The problem in Afghanistan is not snipers, its the same problem as Vietnam, which was not knowing who to shoot. The enemy was your friend by day and your enemy at night.

I'm all for drone strikes. They work and provided intel is stable then you avoid killing civilians. You need a smaller number of boots on the ground and thus save money and lives.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Are you one of these crazy people who put guns and the right to own guns above human lives?

Are you one of those crazy Marines who assassinates US Presidents ?" 

Obvious straw man is obvious.   

I'm not the one getting all fanatical and paranoid that people are going to take my gun collection away.

I'm not the one going around threatening to kill people if they try to take my gun away.

Obvious you are filled with straw, man.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Why do you think the NRA is the largest lobbying organization in DC in terms of sheer number of members? The NRA is so powerful precisely because of the number of people who support them and their endorsement (or lack thereof) has power. 

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Are you a doomsday prepper?

Yeah that "law abiding citizens" goes right out the window.. didn't you ever see "The Road"?

Kind of but mostly by accident. I enjoy being self sufficient so I live a lifestyle where I would easily be able to provide for myself whatever happens to society. Mostly because I enjoy providing for myself rather than any real fear that everything is going to collapse. 

No I haven't seen "The Road", perhaps you should rely on something other than movies to learn from. They usually don't reflect reality. 

For example,

digitalbeachbum wrote:

EXC wrote:

Virtually all warlords build hospitals, schools and provide other governmental services. Those who don't quickly lose power and are overthrown. Warlords are often viewed favorably by large portions of their population. Hitler is widely recognized for completely revolutionizing the idea of public works and recognized for building an incredible amount of infrastructure for Germany in a very short time frame. Don't believe everything you see in movies.

digitalbeachbum wrote:

neptewn wrote:

You are always going to have accidents, but I would like to see extremely strict laws punishing the people who commit crimes. The entire "gun control" story actually has other aspects which I don't hear the media talking about: 1) education - not just for handling weapons but for people who are young and deciding that selling drugs and being in a gang is better than going to college. 2) jobs - put people to work, idle hands and minds are killers 3) make automatic weapons illegal along with large capacity drums and magazines.

My question is, how many deaths will it take before people start to realize that the NRA and manufactures are in this for profit and not to protect the public.

1 & 2, yes high crime is strongly correlated with low education and poverty/lack of jobs. Those are good areas to focus on for their own sake and reducing crime is certainly a bonus.

3. How many crimes are committed each year with automatic weapons and large capacity drums or magazines? Please provide evidence. 

3a. How does banning an item that is virtually never used in crimes help lower the crime rate?

3b. Do you have any idea what the process is that you have to go through to legally purchase an automatic weapon? For all practical purposes they are banned for all but the most patient and ardent gun nuts. 

digitalbeachbum wrote:

The issue of one sniper (The Beltway Sniper) is similar but different than Afghanistan or Vietnam.

In cases where the military has had snipers in Afghanistan the snipers rarely get away. Air superiority rules.

The problem in Afghanistan is not snipers, its the same problem as Vietnam, which was not knowing who to shoot. The enemy was your friend by day and your enemy at night.

I'm all for drone strikes. They work and provided intel is stable then you avoid killing civilians. You need a smaller number of boots on the ground and thus save money and lives.

Exactly my point, you have the exact same problem in the case of a revolution- how does the government differentiate between civilians and revolutionaries? Especially when in the case of any serious attempt at a revolution a certain number of people in the military will side with the revolutionaries, you don't know if the guy next to you is on your side or not. A nightmare for any soldier. And how does air superiority help? The fact is that drone strikes lead to a lot of civilian deaths- a lot more than boots on the ground.

In the case of a revolution against the US government I suspect that any significant use of drone strikes would cause many civilian deaths which would create more anger against the government and support for the revolution since the people themselves would face the prospect of being collateral damage personally. It is easy for you to sit on your ass behind a computer thousands of miles away and cheer for airstrikes. If that airstrike happened in your neighborhood to take out some revolutionary and some innocent neighbor that you knew or perhaps had kids that went to the same school as yours got caught in the blast I suspect you would be whistling a different tune. 

Drone strikes have their place, but I believe when they are relied upon too much they can have a detrimental effect because it is impossible to conduct such strikes without accidentally killing civilians. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote: I'm

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I'm not the one getting all fanatical and paranoid that people are going to take my gun collection away.

New York governor Cuomo stated in a radio interview from Albany's WGDJ-AM that:

"Confiscation is an option. Mandatory sale to the state could be an option.  Permitting could be an option, keep your gun but permit it."

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/336373/cuomo-confiscation-could-be-an-option-eliana-johnson#

Digital, last time I checked Andrew Cuomo is Governor of the State of New York ...which is in America.

digitalbeachbun wrote:

Again, I have no idea what you are talking about.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

digitalbeachbum wrote:

"Confiscation is an option. Mandatory sale to the state could be an option.  Permitting could be an option, keep your gun but permit it."

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/336373/cuomo-confiscation-could-be-an-option-eliana-johnson#

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/cuomos-plan-for-assault-weapons-ban-could-include-confiscation/article7081877/

Digital, last time I checked Andrew Cuomo is Governor of the State of New York ...which is in America.

digitalbeachbun wrote:

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

digitalbeachbun wrote:

Or you could have just quoted Digitals own OP back to him...

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I couldn't agree more. The 2nd Amendment must be changed to suit the times. Allow for a single bolt action rifle and a single shot revolver with a small amount of ammo. If you need more, then go to the armory to get the weapon and ammo so you can go hunting or fire at the shooting range. No more vast amounts of ammo and weapons. No more automatic weapons. If you are a collector, then weapons should be unable to fire and disabled. Finally, there should be laws against buying pieces of weapons individually and then putting the weapon together piece by piece.

Sounds to me like Digital is proposing that we take away peoples gun collections or at least ban collecting more guns. Ironic that he proposes it in one post and then calls you paranoid for believing that is what people want to do inside the same thread.  

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:The

digitalbeachbum wrote:

The point was that violent crimes back then are nothing compared to today. You don't have people walking in to a mall or a school in 1776 with a fully automated musket shooting 20 people.

Actually there were cases of mass murderers back then too. The Harpe brothers for example are believed to have killed at least 40 people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpe_Brothers 

Shit happens and people do shitty things. The problem with trying to get crime statistics from the 1700's is that police were far less efficient back then and many crimes were never even reported. You could kill someone, dump them in the woods and the person was simply "missing". If the bones were found a few months later, no one had any way of knowing if it was a murder or death from natural causes or even who the bones belonged to. Sure, fewer people were listed as murdered, but a lot more people simply disappeared too. Modern forensics and police forces lead to near perfect identification of crimes, they didn't have that in the 1700's. You pretty much only got tried for murder if someone actually saw you do it. Plus they were a lot more relaxed about what they called murder, if you got in a fight at a bar and killed someone in many areas it wasn't called "murder" because it was a fair fight. To conclude that homicide and violence was significantly lower than it is today is completely unwarranted. The fact is that the data we have is so incomplete that no solid conclusions can be arrived at and an analysis of modern crime stats when reporting became standardized shows that the current murder rate is much lower than it has been in the past. 

digitalbeachbum wrote:

The Freedom Group, the group which makes the Bushmaster, sold 1.2 million guns last year with over 2 billion rounds of ammo. WTF?

Where the fuck are all these guns going to? in ten years that 12 million guns and 20 billion rounds of ammo from ONE company. Do we even have that many deer and elk in the world to shoot? Where is all this shit going to? 

Wow, 1.2 million guns and over two billion rounds of ammo. And how many of those were used in crimes? According the the FBI all rifles (which includes all Bushmasters plus every other kind of rifle) were used in 323 murders. Even if all of those were using the Bushmaster (which they weren't) that would mean that roughly 0.03% of Bushmasters purchased were used to kill someone. Meaning that 99.97% of those purchases were made by people who didn't murder anyone. Now I don't know exactly how many shots were fired in those murders but I can safely assume that even a smaller portion of that ammo was used in commission of a crime.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/ucr

Facts suck when they get in the way of your emotional appeal don't they? 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Actually

Beyond Saving wrote:
Actually there were cases of mass murderers back then too. The Harpe brothers for example are believed to have killed at least 40 people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpe_Brothers

Not mass murderers. Serial killers and they did their killing over a 5 year period.

Beyond Saving wrote:
The problem with trying to get crime statistics from the 1700's is that police were far less efficient back then and many crimes were never even reported. You could kill someone, dump them in the woods and the person was simply "missing".

There were also less people in the US (fewer people in the cities, fewer cities, and more people living in the country) and fewer murderers. What do you think was happening? People running around amok killing every one then dumping bodies in the woods? It wasn't happening.

Beyond Saving wrote:
Wow, 1.2 million guns and over two billion rounds of ammo.

Yeah from one company for one year. Now multiply that by 10.

Beyond Saving wrote:
And how many of those were used in crimes? According the the FBI all rifles (which includes all Bushmasters plus every other kind of rifle) were used in 323 murders.

Wow... just Bushmasters? Shotguns? and other weapons too? Oh.. convenient that you left out all other forms of firearms.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state

And yeah.. the stats suck... so start sucking big boy.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map?page=2

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/09/mass-shootings-investigation

Had enough? How about you choke down one more just for good measure. The NRA is a lovely bunch. Let's get more people to buy more guns, but in order to do that let us force changes in the laws to make it easier for people to get weapons.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/09/map-gun-laws-2009-2012

You idiots just don't get it. We don't want to take away your guns. We want to stop people from having huge magazines. We want better gun control so that crazy people don't go out and kill people in public places. Yeah it would be nice to stop all the smaller crimes which are usually bad guys vs bad guys (you forgot to mention that in your FBI report).

(edit) - I would love to see limits on the number of guns people are allowed to own but I seriously doubt that is going to happen so I'll be happy with limiting the types of guns, the magazines and even limiting the amount of ammo people can purchase.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/law_enforcement_courts_prisons/crimes_and_crime_rates.html

Who is killing who? It's poor minorities who are involved with drugs, theft or robbery. If we could cut out the mass murderers and also get the minorities to stop killing each other things here wouldn't be so bad.

So stop your whining and give up your 150 round drum mag so we can all get some restful sleep tonight.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I'm reading "Killing Pablo" about the Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar.  He was a billionaire, possessed his own militias to murder his rivals and other enemies, and raped and stole ( and kidnapped ) with utter impunity.      

He also built, soccer fields, hospitals, helped the poor peasants in Medellin and was basically worshiped by the Colombians as a folk hero.   So, yeah the ultra corrupt sometimes engage in philanthropy.

Well sort of, he only did "good deeds" for the towns he lived in or where his mother was/where he grew up. He didn't give a fuck about the other cities. He did what he did so that if people came sneaking in to the town they would act as eyes and ears for his network.

His true nature came out towards the end of his life.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:
The problem with trying to get crime statistics from the 1700's is that police were far less efficient back then and many crimes were never even reported. You could kill someone, dump them in the woods and the person was simply "missing".

There were also less people in the US (fewer people in the cities, fewer cities, and more people living in the country) and fewer murderers. What do you think was happening? People running around amok killing every one then dumping bodies in the woods? It wasn't happening.

No I think the murder rate was very comparable to what the murder rate has been over the last 150 years since we have had reliable records. Namely that it oscillates from 5-9 per 100,000. I just think that your odds of getting away with murder were much better in 1775 than today. We have far more advanced weapons today, but we know for a fact that the murder rate now is lower than it has been ever since we started keeping track (really reliable records started in the 1930's). Conclusion: the weapons available is not a good predictor of violent crime rates. Other factors are at work and are more important.

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:
Wow, 1.2 million guns and over two billion rounds of ammo.

Yeah from one company for one year. Now multiply that by 10.

Making Bushmasters that much less of a killer. 

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:
And how many of those were used in crimes? According the the FBI all rifles (which includes all Bushmasters plus every other kind of rifle) were used in 323 murders.

Wow... just Bushmasters? Shotguns? and other weapons too? Oh.. convenient that you left out all other forms of firearms.

By far the most common form of firearm used for crime is the handgun. So why are you talking about banning automatic guns and complaining about the number of sales of bushmasters? The guns that aren't used commonly for crimes- in fact you pick to ban the gun that is used the least. If your theory is that banning the weapons used in crime will lower crime the logical thing to do would be to ban the guns actually used to commit crimes. The only reason that the left focuses on the Bushmaster is because it is a scary looking gun. The reality is that pistols are by far the most common weapon used in crime. 

digitalbeachbum wrote:

You idiots just don't get it. We don't want to take away your guns. We want to stop people from having huge magazines. We want better gun control so that crazy people don't go out and kill people in public places. Yeah it would be nice to stop all the smaller crimes which are usually bad guys vs bad guys (you forgot to mention that in your FBI report).

I mentioned several times throughout these threads that the real crime problem is gang activity and offered possible solutions to solve the root problem rather than punishing the 99%+ of firearm purchasers who will never kill a person with their gun. Why do you want to stop people from having "huge" magazines? Are those magazines commonly used to commit crimes? No. 

Define better "gun control". Before you said everyone should be limited to a single bolt action rifle and one handgun. That would be taking away a good number of my guns. So which is it, do you want to take away my guns or is that no longer your plan? Make up your fucking mind. 

digitalbeachbum wrote:

(edit) - I would love to see limits on the number of guns people are allowed to own but I seriously doubt that is going to happen so I'll be happy with limiting the types of guns, the magazines and even limiting the amount of ammo people can purchase.

Why? The guns you want to ban are not the weapons commonly used for criminal activity. What is the point in banning them and how the fuck is that going to lower the crime rate? What is your obsession with the size of the magazine? Do you have any evidence that oversized magazines are commonly used in crimes? 

digitalbeachbum wrote:

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/law_enforcement_courts_prisons/crimes_and_crime_rates.html

Who is killing who? It's poor minorities who are involved with drugs, theft or robbery. If we could cut out the mass murderers and also get the minorities to stop killing each other things here wouldn't be so bad.

So stop your whining and give up your 150 round drum mag so we can all get some restful sleep tonight.

If I give up my drum magazines poor minorities involved with drugs, theft or robbery will still be killing each other and mass murders will still happen on occasion. How would that make anyone sleep any better? Are drum magazines commonly used in crimes? 

I think we should look at solutions that would actually help solve the underlying problems that lead to violence rather than another bullshit law that does nothing to prevent crime then go to sleep with the delusion that I am somehow helping when I am not. I would rather actually do something to save lives rather than just get a good feeling about myself. 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:The NRA

Beyond Saving wrote:

The NRA will continue doing what it does and nothing will change. Even if it did change to the point where large capacity magazines were outlawed then your kind would find loop holes or just completely ignore the law. Trading of illegal weapons and accessories would go on behind closed doors because you are above the law. You kind are unique and an exception.

Yes, the mental health system is broke and the people who keep falling through the cracks are a problem. But the fact that these people keep having access to weapons normally used in war shows a flaw in the NRA's attitude. The NRA isn't about protecting the public. Their propaganda that Hollywood is to blame and that good guys with guns will stop the people who murder innocent people is a falsehood. It's a cover-up to protect their primary interest. Money.

Yes, the primary weapon used to commit crimes is the handgun, but the people dying from those handguns are not all innocent people. It's literally bad people killing bad people. Gang violence. Drug wars. The facts are that a small percentage is either domestic violence (an health care issue) or accidental (safety training). The remaining portion is random robberies or muggings, but I believe this to be an issue of idle minds. Higher education proves to reduce crimes.

As I have said previously, I'd love to see restrictions on the number of guns but that is a pipe dream. I find it more of a reality that testing gun owners for their mental status is a good thing. But your kind always thinks that the government is out to get you. Your paranoid and filled with fear. Every thing that any one does to try to protect the safety of the majority is a violation of your rights. Screw every one else and their rights. Our right to possession guns are more important than your safety.

You and I will never see eye to eye on this. I find this discussion pointless because their is no middle ground which you are willing to meet.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:The

digitalbeachbum wrote:

The NRA will continue doing what it does and nothing will change. Even if it did change to the point where large capacity magazines were outlawed then your kind would find loop holes or just completely ignore the law. Trading of illegal weapons and accessories would go on behind closed doors because you are above the law. You kind are unique and an exception.

Oh goody I am a kind now. So how exactly does banning high capacity magazines lower crime? Especially since you claim that us crazy people are going to ignore the law and therefore previously law abiding citizens become criminals. Do you have any evidence that high capacity magazines are frequently used in crimes? No you don't. The fact is that most crimes are committed using small handguns and revolvers and the average number of shots fired in a murder is less than four. So why punish people who are not the ones committing crimes?

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Yes, the mental health system is broke and the people who keep falling through the cracks are a problem. But the fact that these people keep having access to weapons normally used in war shows a flaw in the NRA's attitude. The NRA isn't about protecting the public. Their propaganda that Hollywood is to blame and that good guys with guns will stop the people who murder innocent people is a falsehood. It's a cover-up to protect their primary interest. Money.

I am not a member of the NRA so I can't speak for them. I can only speak for myself.

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Yes, the primary weapon used to commit crimes is the handgun, but the people dying from those handguns are not all innocent people. It's literally bad people killing bad people. Gang violence. Drug wars. The facts are that a small percentage is either domestic violence (an health care issue) or accidental (safety training). The remaining portion is random robberies or muggings, but I believe this to be an issue of idle minds. Higher education proves to reduce crimes.

So why do you have such a hard on against guns? The fact is that the odds of you being murdered if you do not participate in criminal activity and stay away from the handful of cities (or more precisely the dangerous areas of those cities) is extremely low and if you are murdered it is most likely going to be your spouse with whatever weapon is handy. So for you the odds of being shot are probably slim to none. For me it is a bit higher because I date chicks who like to go to the gun range and enjoy arsenals so when she decides to kill me she will have a gun readily available and probably won't miss. But I can't help it, chicks with guns are hot and worth risking your life for

digitalbeachbum wrote:

As I have said previously, I'd love to see restrictions on the number of guns but that is a pipe dream. I find it more of a reality that testing gun owners for their mental status is a good thing. But your kind always thinks that the government is out to get you. Your paranoid and filled with fear. Every thing that any one does to try to protect the safety of the majority is a violation of your rights. Screw every one else and their rights. Our right to possession guns are more important than your safety.

But you just pointed out above that most murders are bad guys killing bad guys etc. So is your safety really at serious risk? Are you a bad guy?  

digitalbeachbum wrote:

You and I will never see eye to eye on this. I find this discussion pointless because their is no middle ground which you are willing to meet.

Well seeing that you have yet to offer any justification for your position the discussion is pointless. You advocate banning items that are not regularly involved with murder. You are more likely to be beaten to death by bare hands than you are to be killed by one of the weapons you advocate banning. You are more likely to be killed by lightening than you are to be a victim of a mass shooting. If banning weapons is the solution the only logical position to take is to ban all handguns- a position you claim you don't have.

I have a lot more respect for someone who has the balls to argue for a complete ban on guns and we can argue about whether or not a civilian population should be armed. Your solutions are impotent, pointless and do nothing other than make honest good people into criminals, just so you can sleep better at night and feel good about yourself.  

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:I've

Beyond Saving wrote:

I've already stated my views and provided statistics and studies. You lack the ability to debate the subject because you are ignorant.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

I've already stated my views and provided statistics and studies. You lack the ability to debate the subject because you are ignorant.

Lol, Mother Jones news articles hardly qualify as "studies". You will also note that within your own damn link http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state

your own damn link wrote:

Just like the UK, the United States has seen a long-term decline in crime, with firearms offences seeing a steeper fall than other crimes

it shows that the highest murder rate in the US is in the District of Columbia- which also happens to have the strictest gun laws in the nation. Including an absolute ban on high capacity magazines that you have been obsessing over. You will also note that the number of murders committed with firearms has been declining over the last several decades, despite the fact that many states have passed laws that make it easier to purchase guns and easier to carry them legally (a fact found in another of your links).

So given that looser gun control laws has correlated with less gun violence and a city with an absolute ban on large magazines has the highest rate of gun murders- how do you conclude that making it more difficult to legally purchase a gun and banning large magazines is going to reduce gun violence? Your conclusion is completely inconsistent with the data you have offered. 

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:No I

Beyond Saving wrote:

No I think the murder rate was very comparable to what the murder rate has been over the last 150 years since we have had reliable records. Namely that it oscillates from 5-9 per 100,000. I just think that your odds of getting away with murder were much better in 1775 than today. We have far more advanced weapons today, but we know for a fact that the murder rate now is lower than it has been ever since we started keeping track (really reliable records started in the 1930's). Conclusion: the weapons available is not a good predictor of violent crime rates. Other factors are at work and are more important.

If you took out minority communities, the murder rate amoung white Americas is comparable to many European countries. The murder rate in these communites is driven by the drug trade and lack of economic opprotunity. Making guns illegal would be another source of making money illegally. Just like we see meth labs because drugs are illegal, we'd see machine shops pop up to make any kind of automatic weapon you're willing to pay for.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fuck you gun nutters.

Fuck you gun nutters. Seriously.

"arms",  does that mean you have the right to own granades or tanks? And if everyone gets to own assault riffles does that include people who don't vote for the same politicians the NRA supports? I could own an assault riffle under a republican president too. Personally I think elections are far less violent than your 1776 bullshit saber rattling. WE HAVE ELECTIONS FOR A FUCKING REASON, SO WE HAVE A PEACEFUL TRANSFER OF POWER. No one party has had a monopoly on any fucking office, and in 4 years Obama cant run again.

You twits always talk about freedom but want no damned responsibility on the business end. This isn't about gun ownership. This is about business and big money. The weapons industry likes societal instability because that keeps sales up. Scare the shit out of everyone so you can sell them guns.

It is reasonable if you cant own a tank, I don't think you need military style riffles either, or high capacity clips. Where the fuck you twits get the idea that means we want to take away all guns is patently absurd.

900 people died in ONE MONTH in America BECAUSE OF GUNS. Now, if the gun industry wont do something on it's own the voters will.

WE does not mean only gun owners. WE means WE. Now, you can work with everyone together, or you can get left behind. But more of the same is not going fucking wash anymore and your scare tactics wont either.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: For me

Beyond Saving wrote:

For me it is a bit higher because I date chicks who like to go to the gun range and enjoy arsenals so when she decides to kill me she will have a gun readily available and probably won't miss. But I can't help it, chicks with guns are hot and worth risking your life for

Are those some of your dates ?

I am sorry, what were we talking about again ?

Oh yeah, gun control and the Second Amendment, got a bit distracted there for a moment. Laughing out loud

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Beyond Saving

EXC wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

If you took out minority communities, the murder rate amoung white Americas is comparable to many European countries. The murder rate in these communites is driven by the drug trade and lack of economic opprotunity. Making guns illegal would be another source of making money illegally. Just like we see meth labs because drugs are illegal, we'd see machine shops pop up to make any kind of automatic weapon you're willing to pay for.

BINGO, but economic wingnuts like you don't want to do a damned thing to make conditions better for poor communities. You stupidly think exploding pay gap and no heath care is fine as long as you get your tax break. You want the middle man out and also stupidly think that the poor love the government dime which is patently false. You fail to see that DIRECT investment in better pay, lower cost of living, and keeping more jobs here, cheaper health care. All those things will increase a more stable society.

But the gun manufacturing industry would lose it's market because a stable society would mean more people would feel less of a need to have guns(legally or illegally).

"It's not the guns", fine, not true, but fine,  it is big business and guns are big business and they wont vote for anything that decreases their profit margin.

Scapegoat everyone but yourself, you want all the profits and none of the responsibility. No one has the right to vote unless you always get only what you want and fuck everyone else. I am sorry, but WE does not mean you live in a bubble and never affect others with your voting habits long term. We vote to and we are tired of the bullshit excuses about guns, and the economic free for all you advocate.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Fuck you gun

Brian37 wrote:

Fuck you gun nutters. Seriously.

Fuck you too. 

Brian37 wrote:

"arms",  does that mean you have the right to own granades or tanks?

No, "arms" has pretty consistently been understood to mean personal firearms the equivalent of those used in the military.

Brian37 wrote:

And if everyone gets to own assault riffles does that include people who don't vote for the same politicians the NRA supports? I could own an assault riffle under a republican president too.

Yes that includes everyone regardless of how you vote. As much as I disagree with you Brian and think you are a complete nut I have no problem if you choose to own any gun. Including a fully automatic one.

Brian37 wrote:

Personally I think elections are far less violent than your 1776 bullshit saber rattling. WE HAVE ELECTIONS FOR A FUCKING REASON, SO WE HAVE A PEACEFUL TRANSFER OF POWER. No one party has had a monopoly on any fucking office, and in 4 years Obama cant run again.

What do elections have to do with the subject?

Brian37 wrote:

You twits always talk about freedom but want no damned responsibility on the business end. This isn't about gun ownership. This is about business and big money. The weapons industry likes societal instability because that keeps sales up. Scare the shit out of everyone so you can sell them guns.

I think gun owners should always be held responsible for what they do. If a gun owner kills someone they should be held responsible. If a gun owner is responsible I don't see why they should be made into criminals. For me, it is all about gun ownership- I don't give a flying fuck about the gun business I am not invested in it.

Brian37 wrote:

It is reasonable if you cant own a tank, I don't think you need military style riffles either, or high capacity clips. Where the fuck you twits get the idea that means we want to take away all guns is patently absurd.

Please specify exactly which guns you want to take away. Please specify exactly what a high capacity means. "Military style" rifles are not the typical guns used in crimes because they are expensive and mostly bought by middle aged to old rich white males- a demographic that has very low crime rates. Most criminals aren't willing or able to shell out $1500-$5000 for a rifle.  

Brian37 wrote:

900 people died in ONE MONTH in America BECAUSE OF GUNS. Now, if the gun industry wont do something on it's own the voters will.

So were those 900 people killed by the guns you want to ban? 

Brian37 wrote:

WE does not mean only gun owners. WE means WE. Now, you can work with everyone together, or you can get left behind. But more of the same is not going fucking wash anymore and your scare tactics wont either.

WE does not mean only people who hate guns. WE means WE. Now, you can learn to tolerate that some people like things you don't, or you can go fuck yourself. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:And in a

Beyond Saving wrote:
And in a revolutionary example you have 14 million people actively killing the government soldiers(based on 4.5% of the population actively fighting,

Less than 1% of your armed forces equipped with less than 1% of military resources would be more than sufficient to kill them all.
There is no passive resistance unless the government has partially or completely collapsed, in which case the military isn't working for them anyway.

You're living in the ancient past, and your comprehension of how fucked you'd be with your puny pea shooter against the best equipped army on Earth is laughable.

Delusional Americans. Think they're strong enough to resist an army which has a loose control over 75% or so of the entire planet, whilst bragging about the very same army.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Beyond Saving

Vastet wrote:
Beyond Saving wrote:
And in a revolutionary example you have 14 million people actively killing the government soldiers(based on 4.5% of the population actively fighting,
Less than 1% of your armed forces equipped with less than 1% of military resources would be more than sufficient to kill them all.

Lol sure, if you are playing a video game with "god" mode on. 

Vastet wrote:

There is no passive resistance unless the government has partially or completely collapsed, in which case the military isn't working for them anyway.

If a revolution is happening there are obviously many people who would support the revolution and not be able or willing to actually pick up a gun. Obviously if a revolution is happening the government is starting to collapse by definition. Revolutions don't happen in countries where everyone is happy. 

Vastet wrote:

You're living in the ancient past, and your comprehension of how fucked you'd be with your puny pea shooter against the best equipped army on Earth is laughable. Delusional Americans. Think they're strong enough to resist an army which has a loose control over 75% or so of the entire planet, whilst bragging about the very same army.

I served in that very same army and used that equipment. I was in training exercises and I am familiar with the tactics and weapons in real life situations- not imaginary video game world. It is certainly impressive and when it comes to exterminating human life inside a certain geographic area there isn't much you can do about it. However, fighting revolutionaries introduces the difficulties of determining who is a target and who is not- very difficult when your target easily mixes with a civilian population that you are not willing to kill. In the case of a revolutionary, they mix perfectly with the civilian population because they are civilians. Tech is cool, tech is fun and tech is useful but it is not a magic wand. Our soldiers are pretty fucking awesome but they are not invincible. Even primitive technology can be dangerous which is why so many of our good soldiers are coming home without limbs. All you have illustrated is your extreme ignorance and movie/video game based ideas of war.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Lol,

Beyond Saving wrote:
Lol, Mother Jones news articles hardly qualify as "studies". You will also note that within your own damn link http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state

Wow. Did you have your research team show that to you or did you figure that out on your own. Fucking brilliant. We have a brainiac in our midst.

Beyond Saving wrote:

it shows that the highest murder rate in the US is in the District of Columbia- which also happens to have the strictest gun laws in the nation. Including an absolute ban on high capacity magazines that you have been obsessing over. You will also note that the number of murders committed with firearms has been declining over the last several decades, despite the fact that many states have passed laws that make it easier to purchase guns and easier to carry them legally (a fact found in another of your links).

So given that looser gun control laws has correlated with less gun violence and a city with an absolute ban on large magazines has the highest rate of gun murders- how do you conclude that making it more difficult to legally purchase a gun and banning large magazines is going to reduce gun violence? Your conclusion is completely inconsistent with the data you have offered. 

Again you surprise me with your intelligence. I really thought you were a backwater hillbilly. Of course I know crime has dropped, but it isn't good enough. We need more laws, more education and less bullshit from the NRA.