Keep a minute’s silence…

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Keep a minute’s silence…

… for the innocent victims of Bethlehem?...
No.
Look how hypocritical the fundamentalist Christians are:
I’ve asked them to, on Christmas Day, keep a minute or two of silence in memory of the slaughtered in Bethlehem.
According to tradition and folklore, Herod murdered many babies in Bethlehem and surrounding cities, all with the approval of Yahweh, to celebrate the arrival on Earth of the “Prince of Peace”.
Now churches across America and other places in the world will hold a moment’s silence in memory of the slaughtered in Newtown, Connecticut, but no church will do the same for those of Jesus’ time!
What does this tell us?

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
They are cherry pickers

They are cherry pickers

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:They are

ex-minister wrote:
They are cherry pickers

That is so, ex.
When I accuse the Christian god of a BAD PLAN, the fanatics explain that it wasn't God's fault, but Herod's cruelty.

And I argue that even if that were true that would not be enough reason NOT to hold a minute's silence for those victims.

Herod ordered the slaughter of ALL children in all those cities and villages, how did then John the Baptist baby escape!?

I told a lady how some of those babies were murdered, if she wanted to know.
I told her - believing the tale - that many were brutally ripped from their mothers' breasts while feeding their babies and decapitated right there in front of their horrified eyes.
The lady asked me to stop!

I told her that by itself was reason enough to on Christmas Day's church service call up a few minutes' silence in memory of those martyrs - martyrs to celebrate de arrival on Earth of God's Saviour of the World, his "Prince of Peace"!

Religion kills brain cells.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
julio wrote: … for

julio wrote:
… for the innocent victims of Bethlehem?... No. Look how hypocritical the fundamentalist Christians are: I’ve asked them to, on Christmas Day, keep a minute or two of silence in memory of the slaughtered in Bethlehem. According to tradition and folklore, Herod murdered many babies in Bethlehem and surrounding cities, all with the approval of Yahweh, to celebrate the arrival on Earth of the “Prince of Peace”. Now churches across America and other places in the world will hold a moment’s silence in memory of the slaughtered in Newtown, Connecticut, but no church will do the same for those of Jesus’ time! What does this tell us?

They are telling us that it is ok for mass murder to happen as long as it has Yahweh's approval, but any mass murder that does not have a greenlight from Yahweh, is proof of man's inherently evil nature.

Christians are a contradictory lot.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
We all know the

We all know the inconsistencies of the bible, but the same can be said for any holy book of any tradition.

I think as well as going down their Yellow Brick Road comic book, it is just as important and maybe even morso to attack the ultimate starting claim before you get to that book, and that is the idea that thinking can occur outside a biological process without any type of structure or material.

Of course it is cherry picking. But the two most important stories that prop up the myth of the Jesus character are his birth and his death, which scientifically speaking are a flat out lie on par with believing the earth is flat or the moon landing being faked.

I think it is easier to attack the magic so that when you hit them with the moral stuff you can plant the seed of doubt about all the other stuff.

The starting point of all God/god/deity claims is the core of the naked assertion that a thinking being can exist without a body or physical structure to think with, much less the magic, and certainly morally objectionable as a claim if one is postulating such a character.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Julio, It really is a good

Julio,
It really is a good point. Those babies literally died for jesus' sake. God obviously protected Jesus, I recall warning joseph in a dream. He didn't have time to warn the other parents? Or he couldn't have given Herod one scary ass dream or vision to stop him, even a stroke? No, apparently he needed to "allow" It for His name sake.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Julio, It

ex-minister wrote:
Julio, It really is a good point. Those babies literally died for jesus' sake. God obviously protected Jesus, I recall warning joseph in a dream. He didn't have time to warn the other parents? Or he couldn't have given Herod one scary ass dream or vision to stop him, even a stroke? No, apparently he needed to "allow" It for His name sake.

I always mock this stupid story telling Christians that if Yahweh needed somebody killed in the Nativity choreography, why not kill Herod or the three magi?!...

It is a VIOLENT plan from a bloody almighty, God help us!

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes. Even a cooler story and

Yes. Even a cooler story and a better moral myth they could have made up is when the soldiers drew their sword to kill a child it became so bloody hot it burned their hand causing they to drop it and if the soldier tried anything else he would die on the spot.

Religion Kills !!!

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

How about a moment's silence for all the young Jedi Darth Vader killed in Episode 3?

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm disappointed. Not one

I'm disappointed.
Not one Christian that I know kept even a 5 second silence in memory of those babies slaughtered in Bethlehem to celebrate Jesus the saviour on Earth!

Cold-hearted folk, I tell you!

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:How about

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

How about a moment's silence for all the young Jedi Darth Vader killed in Episode 3?

How about a moment of silence for the death of the Star Wars Saga when George Lucas decided to write, direct and produce three of the worst movies (and Trilogy for that matter) of all time. Star Wars I, II and II.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:How

digitalbeachbum wrote:

How about a moment of silence for the death of the Star Wars Saga when George Lucas decided to write, direct and produce three of the worst movies (and Trilogy for that matter) of all time. Star Wars I, II and II.

I am in TOTAL agreement with that observation.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wholeheartedly concur.

I wholeheartedly concur.
Not.
Star Wars died when Disney bought Lucasfilms. All 6 episodes were great.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Labrat28
User is offlineOffline
Yes, it is highly irrational

Yes, it is highly irrational not to change tradition in order to observe a brutal mass murder on the same day that Christians celebrate their Savior's birth. They must be crazy.

Fundamentally, you're asking them to turn their attention away from the hope of salvation, their need for saving, a celebration of God's love, and an observance of the grace that we believe was given to us, in order to focus on something horrible and negative that we have no control over anymore, that even the families of the victims have forgotten. And you think it's hypocritical that they don't.

Obviously, there is much suffering in this world, and there are many instances of mass murder in history, so much so, that if we chose we could spend 365 days a year in silence out of respect for the victims. But we don't only observe what has happened in this world, we also respond to tragedy as it occurs, and try to fulfill human needs as they come up.

Certainly we can learn from the past, but there isn't a good reason to be entirely fixated on it.