atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Years and years and years -

Years and years and years - like from the beginning.  The idea being that 60 out of 100 (60% majority) could vote to end a filibuster.  Any one could get up and talk for hours.  That is the big deal about having 60 members of one party being the "real" majority in the Senate.  Yes, it used to be more common for scenes like from "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" to happen.  But it was always only a threat of filibuster that could keep a bill from being voted on.

I would like to see it change.  It was supposed to protect the minority, but all it does is allow for the minority party to block everything.  And most of the time, what is blocked wouldn't make that big of a difference anyway and six months later, everyone has forgotten all about whatever it was that caused the hoo-hah in the first place.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Years and years and

cj wrote:

Years and years and years - like from the beginning.  The idea being that 60 out of 100 (60% majority) could vote to end a filibuster.  Any one could get up and talk for hours.  That is the big deal about having 60 members of one party being the "real" majority in the Senate.  Yes, it used to be more common for scenes like from "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" to happen.  But it was always only a threat of filibuster that could keep a bill from being voted on.

I would like to see it change.  It was supposed to protect the minority, but all it does is allow for the minority party to block everything.  And most of the time, what is blocked wouldn't make that big of a difference anyway and six months later, everyone has forgotten all about whatever it was that caused the hoo-hah in the first place.

I want to see it changed. If they are going to work at blocking something I think they should work at it. It is my opinion, but I believe that the people who make up our Congress and Senate are a bunch of lazy, good for nothing, selfish assholes who are only in their job to pad their own pockets with lots of money.

I don't believe any of them actually went to DC or even at our State level to actually do good for our community.