atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I think the Christians owe

I think the Christians owe us all a hell of a lot in back taxes for all these years of pretending to be a religion, we might have found an actual solution to the debt problem. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: I

Beyond Saving wrote:

I think the Christians owe us all a hell of a lot in back taxes for all these years of pretending to be a religion, we might have found an actual solution to the debt problem. 

I sort of understand what he is talking about, but like you said, Christians will tell you that "Christianity" is a religion. If it isn't a religion then they shouldn't be allowed tax exemption. They also shouldn't get any other special considerations.

My wife said, "Catholicism is the religion but Christianity is the sub-set"

I just find it really strange that he all of the sudden comes up with this claim when for years he has said different.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would have to say

I would have to say that if it is only a philosophy, it has got to be one of the most piss poor schools of philosophy that I have ever encountered.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Bahana
atheist
Bahana's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I was waiting for him to

I was waiting for him to use the Christian catch phrase that Christianity is not a religion it's a relationship.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I for one

I for one am pretty sick and tired of hearing people (even if the comedian was doing it in jest) of saying that Jesus had some good teachings. Jesus was a petty little tyrant that was perfectly ok with all of the old testament cruelties and condemned whole cities to death for not listening to him. IOW, Jesus was an asshole, if he had existed. Even Richard Dawkins wanted to say in an interview that Jesus had some good teachings. Sorry, there is no nice way to put this, but that is a crock of shit.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

blacklight915
atheist
blacklight915's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Jesus

harleysportster wrote:

Jesus was a petty little tyrant that was perfectly ok with all of the old testament cruelties and condemned whole cities to death for not listening to him. IOW, Jesus was an asshole, if he had existed. Even Richard Dawkins wanted to say in an interview that Jesus had some good teachings. Sorry, there is no nice way to put this, but that is a crock of shit.

Well, he did have some good teachings...  Basically, while I agree he was not a good (let alone perfect) moral teacher, not all of his teachings were bad.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
blacklight915

blacklight915 wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

Jesus was a petty little tyrant that was perfectly ok with all of the old testament cruelties and condemned whole cities to death for not listening to him. IOW, Jesus was an asshole, if he had existed. Even Richard Dawkins wanted to say in an interview that Jesus had some good teachings. Sorry, there is no nice way to put this, but that is a crock of shit.

Well, he did have some good teachings...  Basically, while I agree he was not a good (let alone perfect) moral teacher, not all of his teachings were bad.

I don't think there has ever been a human being on the planet who is all bad. Even everyone's favorite poster boy of evil, Hitler, had a few good teachings. But people don't seem to feel the need to say "Well, Hitler had some good teachings". Even the most cruel people in history are not pure evil. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

blacklight915 wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

I don't think there has ever been a human being on the planet who is all bad. Even everyone's favorite poster boy of evil, Hitler, had a few good teachings. But people don't seem to feel the need to say "Well, Hitler had some good teachings". Even the most cruel people in history are not pure evil. 

I would tend to agree.

Some of the teachings from the NT are actually good, but you can have those same teachings through out history and from different religions or philosophers.

You don't need to be a christian to be a good, productive member of society.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
It's kind of like

It's kind of like the people that go on and on about the Ten Commandments being the ONLY moral framework. The Ten Commandments are a terrible moral compass and only three of them are applicable to current U.S. laws. Theft, Perjury and Murder. The first three are all about kissing yahweh's ass, honor thy father and mother doesn't address what someone does with abusive parents or parents like Susan Smith, who drown their children. Adultery is a common sense issue that lands you in divorce court. Stealing does nothing to cover those who are starving to death or in desperation. Murder does not clarify about self defense, perjury is a no brainer, and coveting is more or less stating that you are punished for what you think.

Besides, societies had laws against theft, murder and perjury long before Christianity.

The Commandments state nothing against child abuse, rape, slavery, discrimination, intentional acts of harm, genocide or tyranny.

― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

blacklight915 wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

I had never thought of that analogy, but now that you bring it up I would have to agree.

Blacklight, I agree with your points, but it just seems to be a cultural meme for people to mindlessly state : "Jesus was a great teacher, or Jesus had the right ideas" and it seems like a lot of these people are unaware of all the things that Jesus taught.

I mean when you really think about it, to command everyone to love god first, and THEN love your neighbor, already is something that I would take issue with.

― Giordano Bruno

blacklight915
atheist
blacklight915's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Blacklight, I agree with your points, but it just seems to be a cultural meme for people to mindlessly state : "Jesus was a great teacher, or Jesus had the right ideas" and it seems like a lot of these people are unaware of all the things that Jesus taught.

In my experience, most of these people actually are unaware--they've never really read or studied the Bible outside of Church/Sunday School.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Is this the "tide goes in,

Is this the "tide goes in, tide goes out" guy ?

Given how he's a bigger joke than the people who parody him, how is it that he still has a job ? 

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Is this the

Anonymouse wrote:

Given how he's a bigger joke than the people who parody him, how is it that he still has a job ? 

Yes.

I don't have a clue.  Maybe it is all the ridicule that keeps people watching him and so FOX figures they have a cash cow.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
blacklight915 wrote:In my

blacklight915 wrote:

In my experience, most of these people actually are unaware--they've never really read or studied the Bible outside of Church/Sunday School.

I would have to agree again.

― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline

Anonymouse wrote:

Laughing out loud

"The tide goes in and the tide goes out, IT ALWAYS HAPPENS."

Sadly enough, he said it like he had actually trumped the Atheist.

The fact of the matter was, the Atheist was just dumbfounded with such a fucktarded argument that he just did not know how to answer something so incredibly moronic.

I've had a lot of dumb arguments thrown at me over the years, but even the dumbest arguments that I have heard, don't hold a candle to : "The tide goes in and the tide goes out, IT ALWAYS HAPPENS."

― Giordano Bruno

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline

Anonymouse wrote:

Same guy and honestly I don't have a fucking clue. I tend to fall into similar economics beliefs of the right wing which makes up O'Reilly's audience so I think I should have a unique position from which to have an understanding of why people pay attention to him. For example, I get why people listen the Glenn Beck and I can understand why people listen to Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity, throughout my life I have been part of the audience of all three at one point or another. If you put a gun to my head and told me to explain why people watch O'Reilly or you were going to shoot me- I would be a dead man because I have no fucking clue. Yet somehow he remains one of the highest rated news shows on cable television with over 3 million viewers a night. 

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: If you

Beyond Saving wrote:

If you put a gun to my head and told me to explain why people watch O'Reilly or you were going to shoot me- I would be a dead man because I have no fucking clue. Yet somehow he remains one of the highest rated news shows on cable television with over 3 million viewers a night. 

Perhaps it is that "man you love to hate" type of thing that viewers have with him ?

For instance, I never could stand Don Imus or Howard Stern, yet it seemed their popularity was due to the fact that some of the people who hated them, would tune in to them, just to see what they were going to say.

For instance, my girlfriend's mother will sit and watch Fox news and actually utter a stream of profanities at the television screen.

She had it on O'Reilly one night, when I was at her house, and kept saying : "I HATE that motherfucker."

I wanted to ask her why she puts herself through that type of torture. When I can't stand someone, I refuse to watch them. I ask my girl about it, she simply shrugged and told me that was one of her mother's idiosyncrasies.

― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Bill

That was fucking funny as hell.  I like the part where he says, "Take a look outside your studio, It looks like Santa's balls exploded".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:That was

Brian37 wrote:

That was fucking funny as hell.  I like the part where he says, "Take a look outside your studio, It looks like Santa's balls exploded".

Yeah, when I heard that "santa's balls exploded" I fell off my chair laughing.