Don't say it isn't so

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level ModeratorSilver Member
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1708
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
Don't say it isn't so

When water started trickling down a statue of Jesus Christ at a Catholic church n Mumbai earlier this year, locals were quick to declare a miracle. Some began collecting the holy water and the Church of Our Lady of Velankanni began to promote it as a site of pilgrimage. So when Sanal Edamaruku arrived and established that this was not holy water so much as holey plumbing, the backlash was severe. The renowned rationalist was accused of blasphemy, charged with offences that carry a three-year prison sentence and eventually, after receiving death threats, had to seek exile in Finland.


http://www.alternet.org/man-faces-death-threats-and-jail-pointing-out-weeping-jesus-miracle-just-faulty-plumbing?akid=9721.1087120...

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
Come on is it shocking? It

Come on is it shocking? It is catholics, they don't want their crap to be actually shown is crap. They want to believe their crap is holy and pure........crap but not every day crap.


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2385
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck

                   This does bring more meaning to the term "Holy Crap!!!!!"  Let Cardinal Gracias drink of the holy water,  Mubai hasn't had a good cholera out break in decades.   

 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 3048
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
When I was down in Costa

When I was down in Costa Rica last year my in-laws took the family to a church which had a holy site where the virgin mary appeared to some kid over two hundred years ago. I rolled my eyes but went any way to avoid being looked at badly.

The site turned out to be blah blah, "Our Lady of Guadalupe" or something, and they had a HUGE setup filled with gift shops and other peddlers selling cheap shit to the tourists.

The church had a piece of wood which was claimed to be a piece of wood from the actual cross of jesus christ and it was so small that you couldn't actually see it, even though they had it in a see-through piece of glass tubing. The tubing was inside the cross section of a cross which was high up and if you looked really hard, you could see red film on the tube (supposed to be blood).

The "fountain" which was in a man made cave was surrounded by bars and no one was allowed to actually get near the spring. I tried to several times but their were guards preventing me from entering the opening.

What they allowed you to do was walk up to the opening, using a plastic cross (canteen), fill it up with water, then leave through a maze of gift shops.

I asked my brother in law, "so where does the water come from?"

His reply, "City water".

I asked, "How do you know?"

He replied, "Several years back they had the water tested and found that it wasn't spring water. It was actually city water."

Apparently when pressed the church said that the water from the "spring" was too valuable and limited to be used by the public. They said that the water given to the public was "blessed" and they used small drops of the "special water" to sanctify the city water.

Of course the people who exposed the fraud were attacked and shunned by the community. The church? Oh, no big deal. No one locally minded.

All in the name of the almighty dollar?

Sure. The locals were making a shit load of money from the story of the little girl who most likely was a complete liar or lunatic.

On the way home I talked to my brother-in-laws and they told me the real story (which actually made sense). The story goes that the church needed money and they weren't getting much help from the vatican. They apparently invented the story and the rest is history.

 

Free will is an illusion. People always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

-Scott Adams


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3310
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Yeah

Yeah, as a recovering former Catholic, I have heard the stories of Guadelupe ( which was effectively debunked COUNTLESS times) and the Fatima miracles hundreds of times.

I know that some of the more religious member of my family went to Lourdes, several years ago, and even they were appalled at the mass commercialism of the Church in Lourdes. Every church has an area that sells bibles, holy water, crucifixes, rosaries and all the other clap-trap.

My former church has really not come far, from the days of the Middle Ages, when they used to extort tithes from starving villages and sell pieces of the One True Cross.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 3048
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Yeah,

harleysportster wrote:

Yeah, as a recovering former Catholic, I have heard the stories of Guadelupe ( which was effectively debunked COUNTLESS times) and the Fatima miracles hundreds of times.

I know that some of the more religious member of my family went to Lourdes, several years ago, and even they were appalled at the mass commercialism of the Church in Lourdes. Every church has an area that sells bibles, holy water, crucifixes, rosaries and all the other clap-trap.

My former church has really not come far, from the days of the Middle Ages, when they used to extort tithes from starving villages and sell pieces of the One True Cross.

I find was surprised by the peddlers, including local churches, selling bibles. I'm like WTF? Why would any moron buy a bible when you get get one for free?

The worst items were the canteens in the shape of a cross. They were sold for $5 each and were most likely completely unsafe plastic. They looked like they were made in a sweat shop and within a short amount of time would fall apart from being in the sun too much.

My mom went to Lourdes and Fatima and said the same thing, the places were cesspools of commercialism.

 

 

Free will is an illusion. People always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

-Scott Adams


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5098
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
I like

 

the gross commercialism of the catholic church and its offshoot cults.

Keep being what your are, Religion. Self destruction awaits you.  

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


A_Nony_Mouse
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
Posts: 2880
Joined: 2008-04-23
User is offlineOffline
.

ex-minister wrote:
When water started trickling down a statue of Jesus Christ at a Catholic church n Mumbai earlier this year, locals were quick to declare a miracle. Some began collecting the holy water and the Church of Our Lady of Velankanni began to promote it as a site of pilgrimage. So when Sanal Edamaruku arrived and established that this was not holy water so much as holey plumbing, the backlash was severe. The renowned rationalist was accused of blasphemy, charged with offences that carry a three-year prison sentence and eventually, after receiving death threats, had to seek exile in Finland.

http://www.alternet.org/man-faces-death-threats-and-jail-pointing-out-weeping-jesus-miracle-just-faulty-plumbing?akid=9721.1087120.k1sq6c&rd=1&src=newsletter750513&t=11

Rather the fate of an evolutionist in tea party primary.

 

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml


A_Nony_Mouse
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
Posts: 2880
Joined: 2008-04-23
User is offlineOffline
.

digitalbeachbum wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

Yeah, as a recovering former Catholic, I have heard the stories of Guadelupe ( which was effectively debunked COUNTLESS times) and the Fatima miracles hundreds of times.

I know that some of the more religious member of my family went to Lourdes, several years ago, and even they were appalled at the mass commercialism of the Church in Lourdes. Every church has an area that sells bibles, holy water, crucifixes, rosaries and all the other clap-trap.

My former church has really not come far, from the days of the Middle Ages, when they used to extort tithes from starving villages and sell pieces of the One True Cross.

I find was surprised by the peddlers, including local churches, selling bibles. I'm like WTF? Why would any moron buy a bible when you get get one for free?

The worst items were the canteens in the shape of a cross. They were sold for $5 each and were most likely completely unsafe plastic. They looked like they were made in a sweat shop and within a short amount of time would fall apart from being in the sun too much.

My mom went to Lourdes and Fatima and said the same thing, the places were cesspools of commercialism.

These stories are great. Sounds like an opportunity to go "temple" on them like Jesus did. Postal? Temple? No diff. I want to go Temple on their asses and let the local courts decide the case.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml


A_Nony_Mouse
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
Posts: 2880
Joined: 2008-04-23
User is offlineOffline
.

Atheistextremist wrote:

the gross commercialism of the catholic church and its offshoot cults.

Keep being what your are, Religion. Self destruction awaits you.

Wanna be scared? Check your local cable or DISH, whatever and see what is for free. What is free is profitable. ALL the god channels are free. That is not the scary part. Watching them is the scary part. The scary part is there is a market for this crap. People not only watch it but send money.

Watching them? I mean I have not been able to tolerate 100 words from any of them. If I could literally give them all the zombie treatment I would be happy. They are not just criminals they are not deserving of continued life. They are not human.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml