Debating Christians

GodsUseForAMosquito
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
User is offlineOffline
Debating Christians

If the mohammed won't come to the mountain...

I know several members here are also active on some Christian forums, busy refuting false claims and attempting to drive home some facts about evolution and science generally. How have you found these? The few Christian forums I've looked over have generally dissuaded me from joining them because most members have quotes like "The bible says it. end of story" or similar, and I haven't found anything really worthy of debate - this being the finer details of intelligent design and its 'proofs', or other at least considered rebuttals of established science.

Do any of you have experience with constructive debating on christian forums or do you find you generally end up being beaten down by idiocy and scripture? Which forums (if any) have the more educated members who at least know what 'burden of proof' means?

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

GodsUseForAMosquito wrote:

I know several members here are also active on some Christian forums, busy refuting false claims and attempting to drive home some facts about evolution and science generally. How have you found these? The few Christian forums I've looked over have generally dissuaded me from joining them because most members have quotes like "The bible says it. end of story" or similar, and I haven't found anything really worthy of debate - this being the finer details of intelligent design and its 'proofs', or other at least considered rebuttals of established science.

Do any of you have experience with constructive debating on christian forums or do you find you generally end up being beaten down by idiocy and scripture? Which forums (if any) have the more educated members who at least know what 'burden of proof' means?

I've had more trouble with them then here. To them I'm biblically unsound. You have to understand-they've been trained to accept the Pope's or their leaders interpretations as correct. But- we say that civilization is also a belief system, and or a belief in leaders that are faulty. Civil minds are no different then bible formed minds-they believe in civilization also. They won't be convinced they're wrong any more then I can convince anyone here that the interpretation of the Atheist or Theist is wrong and there's an alternative.  Everyone is caught in a unidirectional thinking.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I find the better debates on

I find the better debates on philosophy forums.  At the very least you get a more educated theist there. 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

A few christian forums that I have tried to participate on, just outright ban me when they start to lose.

Same thing with a lot of 9/11 conspiracy theory sites and sites that deal with shit like Ancient Aliens and other such nonsense. Most of the time, they argue with you for a little bit and then they just ban you. So, I quite fooling with them. My local newspaper has forums, I debate on those all of the time, simply for the sake of allowing the general public to see it.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:I find the

Ktulu wrote:

I find the better debates on philosophy forums.  At the very least you get a more educated theist there. 

I have never tried those. That sounds like it might actually be interesting.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Ktulu

harleysportster wrote:

Ktulu wrote:

I have never tried those. That sounds like it might actually be interesting.

I've learned a lot, if you like that kind of thing.  Search for online philosophy club you will enjoy it.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:I've learned a

Ktulu wrote:

I've learned a lot, if you like that kind of thing.  Search for online philosophy club you will enjoy it.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

― Giordano Bruno

GodsUseForAMosquito
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Likewise.. Cheers

Likewise.. Cheers

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

I find it pointless and have stopped posting on christian or other faith based forums. I realized that I was literally beating myself up on a subject which can not be debated (because people of faith don't have open minds). Yes, there might be one or two people who are borderline, who because of your scientific postings leaves that path of faith, but for me it's not worth the effort.

To me, the overwhelming evidence of the timeline of man proves with out hesitation that their is no god and that all religions are false. I have brought forth this evidence to show that #1- The Earth is more than 6,000 years old #2 - The christian god did not show up until around 3000 years ago. and most importantly, #3 - That evolution of life shows humans formed around 200,000 years ago and are nothing more than a product of their environment.

But you can't explain this to a person of faith. They don't want to hear it or they deny it because their "faith" tells them that they need to believe to be saved. This one belief blinds them from all other possibilities. They will never give in and they will never give up their faith because they don't want to die and go to hell.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
http://onlinephilosophyclub.c

http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7530 

here's an example of a decent discussion.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu

Ktulu wrote:

http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7530 

here's an example of a decent discussion.

Seems pleasant but I see the discussion being no different than discussions held here. Theists are constantly trying to give their god breathing room by trying to prove science wrong.

RobbyPants
atheist
RobbyPants's picture
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito wrote:Do

The closest I've done is talk to random people on Facebook. Typically one of three things happen:

1) They get all pissy and defriend me (if we were friends in the first place. Sometimes these people are friends of friends).

2) They lose the argument and delete all their posts, making it look like I'm having a disjointed conversation with myself.

3) They quote scripture at me that predicts and refutes non-believers, and dismiss my sources because I'm "putting my faith in men and not God."

Also, every time, I get threatened with hell. They always try to say it in such a way that I need to save myself and that it's my fault if I don't, but it's always laced with this smug sense of "I'm going to heaven, so nya!". 

I like pointing out that I'm saving myself from God, because if he's all powerful, then the rules and enforcement are entirely arbitrary.