Happy B-day Marines

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Happy B-day Marines

237 years ago today a Quaker that had recently been appointed as "Captain of Marines", Captain Samuel Nicholas began the recruitment efforts of the first two battalions of Marines at Tun Tavern in Philadelphia, PA. Three months later the Marines saw their first battle and have been fighting for and protecting our country ever since. So sometime today raise a toast to the leathernecks past, present and future.

Semper Fi. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Oh, yeah.  I used to

Oh, yeah.  I used to have the date memorized.  Go US Marine Corp.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks!Have you ever had

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
On a related note this

On a related note this Veterans Day, They had the opening National Anthem for Monday Night Football Pittsburg vs KC. They had veterans from all the wars but was  from Pearl Harbor! .

Everyone from Pat Tilman to the founders who fought the Revolutionary war, to the Korean War to Nam and Iraq and Afghanistan. While it is sad that war in humans exists at all, none of us would be posting here today agreeing or dissagreeing if it were not for those who put their lives on the line for us.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well

Well, my late father and grandfather were actually regular Army ( grandfather was in WW2 and dad was in Vietnam).

But, I will join in and say Happy Birthday to the Marines.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno