BEWARE WHAT YOU ARE VOTING FOR!

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
BEWARE WHAT YOU ARE VOTING FOR!

This election we have 12 amendments to our state Constitution, of which I voted NO to all of them.

Two of the items are religious in nature and the catholic church has told all of the followers to vote yes on them.

One in particular is about using public funds for abortions, but there is already a federal ban preventing the use of public funds for abortions. I showed this to my family and told them that some jackasses are trying to weave their religious views in to our constitution, unconstitutionally.

I explained that the ban already exists!!! Don't you see they are trying to circumvent the law! This should not be added!

My mom didn't believe me until I showed it to her in black and white. Her reply was, "Why would people be so sneaky? Why do they try to word things in such a way to deceive the voters?"

I didn't get my in-laws to vote no because they had done so before I could get to them, but again, the catholic church pushed the idea during mass.

Even if it passes, it will be fought in the courts, but this pissed me off that people are allowed to get away with tricking the public.

Every few years a new vote comes in to play, even ones not so politically charged.

About ten years ago we had a vote in Florida to "investigate and research the possible advantages of light rail". 83% of the state voted YES, but in four years there was a new vote for a similar cause on the ballot.

The vote was worded in a negative/reverse wording. Basically it said the same exact thing as the previous vote had, but in the end, literally at the very, very end, that if you voted for this the previous vote would be thrown out.

Guess what? 83% of Floridians voted YES to the new vote. So in return, the previous vote was thrown out and the light rail "study" was stopped.

Wanna know who sponsored the new vote?

It was a coalition of taxi, limo, bus, shuttle, etc groups which banded together to stop the light rail system because they thought they would be losing business.

So people, before you vote for these strangely worded amendments by guessing, know what you are voting for; visit places like http://collinscenter.org/2012flamendments/home-2/ which is a non-profit center setup for informing voters.

Research this crap and tell your family and friends of the information. Keep yourself informed and others!

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 12? egad. I heard Florida

12? egad. I heard Florida had one of the longest ballots. No wonder there is always a problem down there.

In Virginia we only had 2 - one was to slow down the government by taking your property under eminent domain. At worst they could cheat you out of a fair price. There other was some silly rules of order procedure where they couldn't postpone to a holiday.

So I need clarity on what you are saying about the abortion one. Does it say it bans public funds for abortions? As you note there already is a restriction at the federal level. So why would this one go to the courts since it is not contrary to the fed law?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote: 12?

ex-minister wrote:

12? egad. I heard Florida had one of the longest ballots. No wonder there is always a problem down there.

In Virginia we only had 2 - one was to slow down the government by taking your property under eminent domain. At worst they could cheat you out of a fair price. There other was some silly rules of order procedure where they couldn't postpone to a holiday.

So I need clarity on what you are saying about the abortion one. Does it say it bans public funds for abortions? As you note there already is a restriction at the federal level. So why would this one go to the courts since it is not contrary to the fed law?

Yeah, there is already a ban on the use of public funds, but some asshole wants to add to the state constitution that same ban.

It's really fucking stupid. People use the constitution like a fucking place mat.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Ohio often has a lot of

Ohio often has a lot of these issues that are worded in really messed up ways. This year we only had two, one which is a constitutionally mandated issue to vote on whether or not to have a convention to rewrite the state constitution and the other was one to put the redistricting process in the hands of appointed officials instead of elected representatives. I hope my fellow Ohioans have the sense to vote no to the second one. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: Ohio

Beyond Saving wrote:

Ohio often has a lot of these issues that are worded in really messed up ways. This year we only had two, one which is a constitutionally mandated issue to vote on whether or not to have a convention to rewrite the state constitution and the other was one to put the redistricting process in the hands of appointed officials instead of elected representatives. I hope my fellow Ohioans have the sense to vote no to the second one. 

We had the "redistricting" one four years ago. Stupid people voted yes for it.

RobbyPants
atheist
RobbyPants's picture
User is offlineOffline
We had six in Michigan. It

We had six in Michigan. It looks like all six got shot down.