One of the better articles written

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
One of the better articles written

This is one of the better articles written about the current election.

http://blog.nj.com/njv_editorial_page/2012/10/barack_obama_the_star-ledger_e.html

My favorite section is:

Romney was an effective governor in Massachusetts, and few people question his competence. His charity through his church has been impressive.

But his policies consistently favor the wealthy over the middle class, and the budget plan drafted by his running mate, U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan, relies on spending cuts that overwhelmingly land on low-income families. His plan to starve Planned Parenthood is extremist nonsense that will leave many women without basic cancer screening.

He has flipped positions on abortion and gun control, on health care and taxes, on gay rights and climate change. The list goes on and on, and reflects a serious character flaw. Yes, Abraham Lincoln compromised on slavery and Reagan compromised on taxes. Good politicians stay flexible to manage their coalitions.

But Romney’s flip-flops are chronic and self-serving. He is consistent only in the way he floats with the political winds. That is not leadership; it is pandering. And it means he can’t be trusted.

A final concern: Romney is an unsteady player in global affairs, striking a belligerent tone in almost every theater and relying on many of the neocon advisers behind the disastrous policies of George W. Bush. That is unnerving, especially when combined with his inexperience and his promised military buildup.

Our hope is that Obama wins decisively and that Republicans respond by moving toward the middle, as Democrats did under Bill Clinton. That may be wishful thinking, but it is the nation’s best hope.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
I know McCain was crazy but

I know McCain was crazy but he had is moments of brilliance and he also was consistent. I'd rather see McCain running again than Romney, but with out the bi-polar self centered loser named Palin.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Neocons are the issue

You do not have to read the propaganda about them. You only need to read what they write and listen to what they say.

They really are in favor of the US having hegemony over the world, an American empire that they can't figure out how to pay for much less operate at a profit. At best it makes us long term enemies who are going to get even as soon as we can't pay the price.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
There will be a day when

There will be a day when America ceases to be America, thankfully it won't be in my lifetime, but I'm worried about my offspring.

When I was six I remember my parents talking about the national debt and the deficit. It was a really big deal then, but I quickly learned that none of the presidents or the other politicians really gave a shit about it. They had an endless checkbook to do what ever the fuck they wanted. They talked the talk but didn't walk the walk.

Why can't we have another Thomas Jefferson or Abraham Lincoln?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm quite sure America will

I'm quite sure America will cease to be, one way or another, within my projected lifespan. Unless some radical changes occur in both foreign and domestic policies at least, and soon.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I'm quite sure

Vastet wrote:
I'm quite sure America will cease to be, one way or another, within my projected lifespan. Unless some radical changes occur in both foreign and domestic policies at least, and soon.

The only way I see this happening, that is collapse of our country, is if we do not fix the economy. America owes 53% of all debt to itself. Eventually we will collapse on the weight of our own debt.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/biggest-holders-of-us-gov-t-debt.html

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
That is a big factor which

That is a big factor which seems to have little impact on recent elections.

But it isn't the only one.
The education system has gone to shit, resulting in huge swaths of the population being unable to get the jobs that result in higher tax income which leads to paying down deficits.

And most of the world hates the US, creating a multi-pronged perpetual expense based on unsustainable aggressive and defensive measures designed to protect it.

The empire is too big and asserts control over an area it doesn't have the resources to control. Its working ok right now because many of the other world powers are willing/able to assist. Take that away and the US crumbles under its own overreaching strategy.

I don't believe the US will be conquered. Rome wasn't, the UK wasn't, Russia wasn't.
The UK even survived the collapse of their empire, and the US may as well.
But the empire will fall.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:That is a big

Vastet wrote:
That is a big factor which seems to have little impact on recent elections. But it isn't the only one. The education system has gone to shit, resulting in huge swaths of the population being unable to get the jobs that result in higher tax income which leads to paying down deficits. And most of the world hates the US, creating a multi-pronged perpetual expense based on unsustainable aggressive and defensive measures designed to protect it. The empire is too big and asserts control over an area it doesn't have the resources to control. Its working ok right now because many of the other world powers are willing/able to assist. Take that away and the US crumbles under its own overreaching strategy. I don't believe the US will be conquered. Rome wasn't, the UK wasn't, Russia wasn't. The UK even survived the collapse of their empire, and the US may as well. But the empire will fall.

Too bad people in power can't see past their own hands. If America can change with the times then it might be a different story.