Military Director of American Atheists wants the word spread

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Military Director of American Atheists wants the word spread

http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbeyondbelief/2012/10/01/soldiers-forced-to-attend-candlelight-prayer-for-suicide-prevention/

Soldiers forced to attend candlelight prayer for suicide prevention

October 1, 2012 at 5:58 am Justin Griffith

Approximately 800 U.S. soldiers were ordered to participate in a candlelight prayer ceremony, and ‘spiritual fitness’ training for a recent suicide prevention campaign. The soldiers are assigned to Fort Sam Houston’s 264th Medical Battalion, responsible for training soldiers in their medical career after graduating boot camp.

It happened last Wednesday (Sep. 26th) and was documented by Victoria Gettman, an instructor at the schoolhouse. She is a fellow foxhole atheist, and among the bravest that have written to me for help. Gettman described her experience to me. She stressed that she did not speak on behalf of the DoD, though she is a Staff Sergeant in the US Army.

(The rest of the article can be found at the link. Debunks this bullshit about "There are no Atheists in foxholes" )

(Writer of the article is having a difficult time getting media to return phone calls about " Forced SPIRITUAL Fitness Training "and asks the word to be spread as far as possible. Also he had this to say about these people : :

Reporters at the local San Antonio Express did not return the messages I left with the intern that answers their phones. Perhaps you will have better luck.

San Antonio Express
Email- 
Newsroom
Editor: 
Mike Leary
Phone: 210-250-3171

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I remember

I remember hearing about an increasing presence in our military to bully soldiers into praying and attending services, but I don't have additional links at the moment.

I DO remember reading about soldiers being treated as mental health cases because of their Atheism. Reccomended treatment being to talk to counselors and chaplains.

Such bullshit.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
One of a number of reasons

One of a number of reasons that I'd never join a military.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:One of a number

Vastet wrote:

True enough. A person pretty much forfeits their freedoms when they do so. But I wonder if there is something written somewhere that grants protection to a soldier's right to not believe ?

I'll have to check it out.

Since we currently are not under a theocracy, I don't see any reason for forced coercion into prayer services or "spiritual counseling".

― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
In my short stint in basic

In my short stint in basic in the Air Force, I washed out(too young and went in being too emotional and sensitive) different subject though. I was put once KP one week for refusing to go to church on sunday.

It sickens me that the assholes who do this are part of a system that says anyone can join, but it seems that it means the same back of the bus bullshit whites pulled on blacks. "We don't hate you and we are glad you serve with us, but their is a litmus test for your joining".

Do these idiots understand the oath of office in "No religious test". In the very constitution they claim to defend.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:One of a number

Vastet wrote:

If I had had the emotional fortitude and the brawn when the facists of WW2 took on the west, I most certainly would join. I think the idea of living in a mental prison can get anyone to the point of fighting back.

It is an anoyance and certainly needs to be combated. But long term, as slow as rights have been to be extended in the west, maintaining an open and questioning society has allowed that to happen.

I would not join Iran's military or Kim Jong Ill's military. But as much as a physical wimp and fear of blood I am, I would rather join and die than  live under the oppression of say Iran if they could invade us(of course they cant).

I am sure Pat Tilman didn't go in thinking "this is a theocracy I am joining". And my friend Ben, who passed a few years back served in Europe in WW2  as an atheist and died an athiest. I'm not joining because of stupid crap like this.  I don't think either you or I would want to live under the oppression of Hitler or Iran.

It is not a matter of joining or not joining. Because even outside the issue of the military, there are things we would fight back for(depending on context of situation). Push any human far enough and they will react.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd just go solo. Amazing

I'd just go solo. Amazing how much damage a single unfetterred person with stealth skills can accomplish.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.