Videogame NPC algorithms pass AI Turing test

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Videogame NPC algorithms pass AI Turing test

ScienceDaily (Sep. 26, 2012) — An artificially intelligent virtual gamer created by computer scientists at The University of Texas at Austin has won the BotPrize by convincing a panel of judges that it was more human-like than half the humans it competed against.

The victory comes 100 years after the birth of mathematician and computer scientist Alan Turing, whose "Turing test" stands as one of the foundational definitions of what constitutes true machine intelligence. Turing argued that we will never be able to see inside a machine's hypothetical consciousness, so the best measure of machine sentience is whether it can fool us into believing it is human.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120926133235.htm

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The complex gameplay

Quote:
The complex gameplay and 3-D environments of "Unreal Tournament 2004" require that bots mimic humans in a number of ways, including moving around in 3-D space, engaging in chaotic combat against multiple opponents and reasoning about the best strategy at any given point in the game. Even displays of distinctively human irrational behavior can, in some cases, be emulated.
"People tend to tenaciously pursue specific opponents without regard for optimality," said Schrum. "When humans have a grudge, they'll chase after an enemy even when it's not in their interests. We can mimic that behavior."

Aw shit..

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Quote:The

Vastet wrote:
Quote:
The complex gameplay and 3-D environments of "Unreal Tournament 2004" require that bots mimic humans in a number of ways, including moving around in 3-D space, engaging in chaotic combat against multiple opponents and reasoning about the best strategy at any given point in the game. Even displays of distinctively human irrational behavior can, in some cases, be emulated. "People tend to tenaciously pursue specific opponents without regard for optimality," said Schrum. "When humans have a grudge, they'll chase after an enemy even when it's not in their interests. We can mimic that behavior."
Aw shit..

Humans vs. AI's here it comes ! Sci-fi dreams become sci-fi reality.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Actually, an AI that exactly

Actually, an AI that exactly emulates human behaviour is easy to emulate in games like Call of Duty. All they have to do is sit in a corner and camp.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's a bit more complicated

It's a bit more complicated than that.

Unreal Tournament is also a better platform for testing this, and camping isn't an option in that game.

Abu_Lahab
User is offlineOffline
Yay!

Skynet!

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
bah

Vastet wrote:
ScienceDaily (Sep. 26, 2012) — An artificially intelligent virtual gamer created by computer scientists at The University of Texas at Austin has won the BotPrize by convincing a panel of judges that it was more human-like than half the humans it competed against. The victory comes 100 years after the birth of mathematician and computer scientist Alan Turing, whose "Turing test" stands as one of the foundational definitions of what constitutes true machine intelligence. Turing argued that we will never be able to see inside a machine's hypothetical consciousness, so the best measure of machine sentience is whether it can fool us into believing it is human. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120926133235.htm

I don't understand very well what were the parameters, but I think it would be difficult for even this bot to fool a human watching him in first person perspective.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah that would be an

Yeah that would be an entirely different question. I'd be interested to watch it myself.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I have finally understand

I have finally understand the true conundrum behind the turing test.

the question is not if you can tell the difference between a human and a computer in a set scenario.

The turing test imagines a human answering questions back in chinese which he doesn't understand by following instructions.

Now computers do this all the time all over the world. Give answers back given input by following instructions.

Humans can to the same. However humans CAN understand as well. This inner understanding vs. following blind instructions is at the core of Human consciensness and experience! Can a computer EVER do the same or can we EVER prove such a machine?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not at present. Computers

Not at present. Computers are incapable of lateral thinking, and can only perform one equation at a time. Humans might not hold a candle to computers at calculations per second, but the fact that we can perform multiple calculations simultaneously is a massive advantage. And indirect problem solving is another massive advantage.
We are still far more capable than the most powerful of computers.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chat bots . .

harleysportster wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Quote:
The complex gameplay and 3-D environments of "Unreal Tournament 2004" require that bots mimic humans in a number of ways, including moving around in 3-D space, engaging in chaotic combat against multiple opponents and reasoning about the best strategy at any given point in the game. Even displays of distinctively human irrational behavior can, in some cases, be emulated. "People tend to tenaciously pursue specific opponents without regard for optimality," said Schrum. "When humans have a grudge, they'll chase after an enemy even when it's not in their interests. We can mimic that behavior."
Aw shit..

Humans vs. AI's here it comes ! Sci-fi dreams become sci-fi reality.

The maker of 'alicebot', Dr. Richard Wallace, didnt follow through on this chat bot, in not allowing the IA to retain new information. I wasted a part of two evenings, one time, teaching (the IA) it something. Came back both times, a day later and it didnt 'recall' anything I had taught it. Seconds I want back!!

I mention this particular I.A. because the most human like behaviour it exhibited was to politely ask me if it could tell me something. I said, Sure go ahead. It told me (completely unsolicited) something about number 23's or 28's, (chat-client's) interests.

Oh, Nobody recommend any chat-bots to me, I am not a big fan of surly/smart-alecky smegheaded crap in an IA. Surly from a chat-bot I never found to be very cute!