Wii-U

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wii-U

Whenever new consoles come out, I predict their success or failure. Last gen I saw nothing but $ for all 3 consoles. I was right woo hoo.

Not gonna happen this time. The risk that Nintendo took with the Wii wasn't much of a risk. The platform was so cheap it literally could not have failed. But now they are excacerbating the problems that the Wii managed to overcome, and adding new ones.

1: The controller. Every single console to have a controller bigger than the current controllers has failed or replaced their controller. Gamegear failed. Dreamcast failed. Xbox failed, then capitulated to make a smaller controller and succeeded.

2: The HDD is insignificant in size. 32gb for the top line $350 model. 8 gb for the $300 model. A PS3 or XBox 360 would be both cheaper and more capable. Unless MS screws themselves again and discontinue the 360 upon the release of their new console.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hopefully they won't, but

Hopefully they won't, but even if they do, Sony certainly won't, so there'll be at least one competitor to the Wii-U that is both superior in capability and cheaper in cost.
Hell, I can get a bigger memory stick for $20. Wtf Nintendo?

3: All the new TV features that are being touted have already been provided or surpassed by Sony and Microsofts systems, or sites on the internet. Netflix and Youtube aps have been available for months if not years. Nintendo is just catching up, not innovating anything new. Even the so-called TVii; "He also detailed a feature called Nintendo TVii, which will allow broadcasters to add content to their shows that can be viewed and interacted with on the Wii U’s controller. Console owners watching Modern Family, for example, can comment on the show as it airs using their GamePad, with friends being able to share their thoughts as well.", adds very little to nothing that hasn't already been done elsewhere.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Remember pop-ups in the

Remember pop-ups in the 90's? That's about all this is, combined with the Youtube-esque ability to make comments.
But who's going to pay $300 to do something they can do free or cheaper elsewhere? You aren't going to kill Youtube guys, sorry.

4: So they've upgraded the graphics and games like COD can now be released. Great. Except the HDD is so small I'll only be able to play 8 or less games at a time without deleting data. And that's if I have no pics, video, or music. Did you know that COD: Black Ops required a 3gb install for the game itself, and a further 1.5 gb+ for each map pack? That ONE GAME would require more space than the budget console actually has available, and it was last gen.
Nintendo can get around this only by increasing loading times and increasing lag. Ugh.

5: Social networking: "The Wii U will also have a social networking function called Miiverse that will allow players to connect and share game information."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sony beat you. 5 years ago.

Sony beat you. 5 years ago. Microsoft is trying to catch up, they aren't too far off. Facebook, Youtube, and Second Life are light years ahead of you. Sony and Microsoft have deals in place with Facebook and Youtube. Not impressed.

At first, it will sell like hotcakes. Nintendo still has a fanbase, and the Wii went a long way. But they aren't the super cheap system this time around. No console is selling at $500+ to compete with, and there won't be one for at least a year. Sales will die off. And then the new Sony and Microsoft systems will debut, and Wii-U won't be able to play the new games, and everyone will hate the suitcase controller, and everyone will move on.

This may be Nintendo's Dreamcast (last console). With their current strategies, at the very least, it's their Saturn (second last console).