France: Doing it right

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
France: Doing it right

Why are the only people with balls the French?

PARIS — A French magazine published vulgar caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad on Wednesday, brandishing its right to free speech amid global tensions over a movie insulting to Islam.
The move by the provocative weekly Charlie Hebdo followed days of violent protests from Asia to Africa against the film “Innocence of Muslims” and turned France into a potential target of Muslim rage. Up to now, American government sites have drawn the most ire since the film was produced privately there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/lawyers-in-pakistan-enter-diplomatic-area-in-film-protest-us-shuts-consulate-in-i...

Good on you France. I don't hear your government condemning this work of awesome the way the pussies in the US and everywhere else are. You can always be trusted to uphold the very processes of freedom and democracy that began in France.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
 One interesting factoid (

One interesting factoid ( if I remember correctly ) is that France has the largest population of Muslims in Europe.

I certainly don't embrace everything that France does but they aren't so much the "pussies" that American patriots portray them to be.  They refused to be a puppet of the US government and so they became hated by certain groups here in the States.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: One

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

One interesting factoid ( if I remember correctly ) is that France has the largest population of Muslims in Europe.

I certainly don't embrace everything that France does but they aren't so much the "pussies" that American patriots portray them to be.  They refused to be a puppet of the US government and so they became hated by certain groups here in the States.

I agree.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
They did condemn it. I saw

They did condemn it. I saw that on 24 today. Ayrault said he disapproves and it was irresponsible but there's nothing they can do about it which is what I think any government would say.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Disapproval and condemnation

Disapproval and condemnation are two different things.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
 ProzacDeathWish wrote:I

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I certainly don't embrace everything that France does but they aren't so much the "pussies" that American patriots portray them to be. 

on that note, i highly recommend the film army of shadows. anyone who tries to say the french people acquitted themselves anyway less that honorably in the second world war is an ignorant prick.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson