Rich parents biggest indicator for success

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich parents biggest indicator for success

Exceptional Upward Mobility in the US Is a Myth, International Studies Show
ScienceDaily (Sep. 5, 2012)

He found that parental wealth plays an important role in whether children move up or down the socioeconomic ladder in adulthood. And that parental wealth has an influence above and beyond the three factors that sociologists and economists have traditionally considered in research on social mobility -- parental education, income and occupation.

"Wealth not only fulfills a purchasing function, allowing families to buy homes in good neighborhoods and send their children to costly schools and colleges, for example, but it also has an insurance function, offering a sort of private safety net that gives children a very different set of choices as they enter the adult world," Pfeffer says.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120905141920.htm

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
The best kind of study....

a "well, duh" study.

Though it is nice to have my own personal observations verified.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
This is not a money issue,

This is not a money issue, this is an evolutionary issue. Long before paper and coin, the apha male that obtained the most resources gave that to their offspring, the more they did the more oportinity for the off spring.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM, that is fine for the alpha male, but that can also lead to a monopoly and when it does the suboranates in that species will look for an opening to tople that alpha male.

So while a "no duh" if those who have, that having is only related to those they pass down to. If it does not take into account the collective ecosystem, it is a short term win but undermines their own status. There still has to be workers and shoulders they stand on. Piss on that long enough and you wont stay on top long.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
You don't understand Brian,

You don't understand Brian, I fell out of a magical vagina so I deserve a headstart.

Reverend Wells
Reverend Wells's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree, this is a "well, duh" study.

This reminds me of a study I heard about years ago where some university spent copious amounts of money to do a study to find out "why prisoners don't enjoy being in prison" or something along those lines.

It's like damn, they could have given me $100 and I could have written the study for them.. and I've never even been to prison!

"Now this ... is the noble truth of the origin of suffering: it is this craving which leads to renewed existence, accompanied by delight and lust, seeking delight here and there, that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for existence, craving for extermination." - Buddha, the 2nd Noble Truth

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Reverend Wells wrote: This

Reverend Wells wrote:

This reminds me of a study I heard about years ago where some university spent copious amounts of money to do a study to find out "why prisoners don't enjoy being in prison" or something along those lines.

It's like damn, they could have given me $100 and I could have written the study for them.. and I've never even been to prison!

LOL.

I remember reading about a couple of ridiculous studies. I remember one about : "How long does it take the average American to make breakfast" or something along those lines about Americans and breakfast. I wondered why it made the headlines of my newspaper.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's a lot of 'well duh'

There's a lot of 'well duh' stuff that some people deny. I like rubbing it in their faces.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:There's a lot

Vastet wrote:
There's a lot of 'well duh' stuff that some people deny. I like rubbing it in their faces.

Actually, I get fairly surprised by how many things that I think are a "well,duh" in my mind and turn out to be something that no one actually pays attention to.

Or like you said. An obvious fact that everyone denies.

It's good to put a spotlight on it.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno