The moon is made of cheese, and death.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The moon is made of cheese, and death.

Well, another snake oil salesman has bit the dust, and after all that pontification and selling of utopias his sky daddy didn't seem to care to have his best salesman stick around. Funny that with religion, in all of human history. The founders die like the laymen and stay dead just like the laymen. Tut was loved and famous and most Egyptian pharaohs were, but all of them died. Jerry Falwell died. Joseph Smith died. Stalin died, as too every pope.

How about this humanity? How about STOP FUCKING WORSHIPING ANYTHING, be it politics or religion. We all die so your title to me is about as amazing as taking a dump. Moon died, not because he was special, he died because he was a human, just like the rest of our evolutionary history. He will be no more remembered after the sun expands and fries the planet than I will be remembered.

When humans in mass begin to realize that there is no magic pill, only our common condition, then and only then can we maximize benefit and minimize harm.

Moon was no one's hero other than the credulous who bought his bullshit utopia. There are only humans, there is no magic pill or magic man. Life is messy enough and complicated enough without superstition fucking our heads to the point of war and division. Moon WAS a cult leader, as with all upstart "religions" in our history. The only difference between a cult and a religion is the political power the numbers have over politics, and that includes politics being a religion itself.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Another case study

I'd forgotten about the Moonies, but they are another good recent example of how religions are created.

Take what appeals to the locals, syncretise it with a big, well known existing brand, brainwash, make lots of money, make friends with politicians.

They do a lot of business in North Korea and were matey with The Great Leader and The Dear Leader.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/leader-of-the-moonies-dies-aged-92-20120903-258z4.html

"Moon's view of God is quintessentially Korean, combining Shamanist passion and Confucian family patterns in Christian form," wrote Seoul-based author Michael Breen in his book "The Koreans".

"His God is the miserable parent who suffers in lonely agony in a world of unfilial and evil children."

Diddums.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Well, another

Brian37 wrote:

Well, another snake oil salesman has bit the dust, and after all that pontification and selling of utopias his sky daddy didn't seem to care to have his best salesman stick around. Funny that with religion, in all of human history. The founders die like the laymen and stay dead just like the laymen. Tut was loved and famous and most Egyptian pharaohs were, but all of them died. Jerry Falwell died. Joseph Smith died. Stalin died, as too every pope.

How about this humanity? How about STOP FUCKING WORSHIPING ANYTHING, be it politics or religion. We all die so your title to me is about as amazing as taking a dump. Moon died, not because he was special, he died because he was a human, just like the rest of our evolutionary history. He will be no more remembered after the sun expands and fries the planet than I will be remembered.

When humans in mass begin to realize that there is no magic pill, only our common condition, then and only then can we maximize benefit and minimize harm.

Moon was no one's hero other than the credulous who bought his bullshit utopia. There are only humans, there is no magic pill or magic man. Life is messy enough and complicated enough without superstition fucking our heads to the point of war and division. Moon WAS a cult leader, as with all upstart "religions" in our history. The only difference between a cult and a religion is the political power the numbers have over politics, and that includes politics being a religion itself.

That pretty much sums it all up.

I had forgotten all about the moonies. I didn't even know they existed anymore. Of course, when one cult goes out of style there is no shortage of self-proclaimed narcisstic messiahs to take their place and start another one.

I mean, that crooked old fuck L. Ron Hubbard ADMITTED that his religion was bullshit and people STILL fell for it.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Give me 500 dollars, I'll

"Give me 500 dollars, I'll make you crazy as me." - Jim Croce, Live, The Final Tour, 1973

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fortunately we're winning

Fortunately we're winning the war with the youth of today. Provided we keep it up & WW3 doesn't break out before it's over, we stand a pretty good chance at shutting down most of the brainwashing within a generation.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
A survivor's story

He became brainwashed, but escaped.

I find it hard to comprehend how such things can happen, but they do.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/03/moonie-cult-leader