17 people beheaded by Afghan insurgents

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
17 people beheaded by Afghan insurgents

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/aug/27/17-civilians-beheaded-attack-afhgan-insurgents/

17 civilians beheaded in attack by Afhgan insurgents

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Insurgents beheaded 17 civilians in a Taliban-controlled area of southern Afghanistan, apparently because they attended a dance party that flouted the extreme brand of Islam embraced by the militants, officials said Monday.

The killings, in a district where U.S. Marines have battled the Taliban for years, were a reminder of how much power the insurgent group still wields in the south — particularly as international forces draw down and hand areas over to Afghan forces.

(Killing people over music and dancing. WTF ? While I think most people are familiar with how insane and violent islam is, it never ceases to amaze me when I read about some of their insanity).

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
Looks like someone didn't

Looks like someone didn't get invited to the party.

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
God's cops

They are making me feel ill.

I often wonder whether Islam is worse than Christianity.

It certainly is these days, and I'm inclined to believe it is in general, but to be fair, one needs to compare Islam of today with the glory days of Christianity in the Middle Ages.

On a show I saw about the Crusades and the Inquisition the other day they were cruel and brutal, but didn't seem to be so focused on The War on Pleasure.

The Catholics at least seemed always to retain an element of debauchery and I don't recall even the Puritans going around massacring people quite like this.

The Catholics and Puritans did slaughter plenty of heretics and heathens though and the worshippers of the OT god certainly loved getting blood on their hands.

I'd be interested to see if anyone can find Christian or Jewish instances of killing people just for singing and dancing.

Nor do I remember Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot or The Dear Leader doing so, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it did happen.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
There were alternatives

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Probably more to the story

Fighting over sexual possessions seems likely and consistent with their beliefs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/27/taliban-execute-civilians-at-party

The reason for the slaughter was variously given as a fight between two Taliban commanders over women, Taliban anger over a music and dance party, or an insurgent crackdown on suspected government informers.

The Helmand police commander's office said it had been told the 17 victims were targeted as government spies.. The provincial governor's spokesman, Daoud Ahmadi, said the dead were probably caught up in a fight between two rival Taliban commanders for control of the dead women.

The president, Hamid Karzai, blamed the Taliban and ordered a full investigation. "This attack shows that there are irresponsible members among the Taliban," he said.

There is a precedent for killings of civilians in quarrels driven by passion and jealousy in Afghanistan. On New Year's Day in 2010, six civilians were beheaded in Uruzgan province. The killings were initially reported as a Taliban attack on alleged government spies, but it later emerged they were the result of two groups fighting over a boy.

This summer a woman was stoned to death in Parwan province in what was thought to be Taliban punishment for adultery. Parwan's governor later said she was involved with a commander who killed her to avoid losing face as news spread of his behaviour.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sadly

I am unsurprised. The only good thing that can come from this sort of behaviour is that global distaste for things once hidden changes, subtly and irreversibly, the way a moderate majority muslims think about the excesses practiced in the name of their faith. majority opinion changed christian thought during the enlightenment. This can happen again. Arguably.  

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Jabberwocky
atheist
User is offlineOffline
x wrote:They are making me

x wrote:
They are making me feel ill.

I often wonder whether Islam is worse than Christianity.

It certainly is these days, and I'm inclined to believe it is in general, but to be fair, one needs to compare Islam of today with the glory days of Christianity in the Middle Ages.

Modern day, yes. Funeral protesters vs. violent activists, definitely no contest. Whole body of work....well, tough to say. Both are atrocious. 

Theists - If your god is omnipotent, remember the following: He (or she) has the cure for cancer, but won't tell us what it is.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Need to control the world - inquire within

Western culture has become more secular and thus toning down of Christianity. There are not in power like Islam as in various countries.

Ghana is a good country to look for Christian cruelty. I have seen videos of burning witches by Christians. Am sure there are other such things going on. The last thing Christianity (or Islam for that matter) needs/should have is authoritarian rule. History shows they are no better than other dictatorships, like Stalin under Communism. 

Jesus said "My kingdom is not of this world". The Christians seem to bypass that statement. They cannot make the world safe for Jesus until they control the shit out of unbelievers. Jesus is one weak motherfucker to depend on humans to do his dirty work.

## edit - fixing up some grammar.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I have Mexicans living on

I have Mexicans living on both sides of me. The couple on the left is always quiet. The family on the right however, might as well hang pinatas from my tree and start a used car lot. Every other fucking week seems to be Cinco De Mayo, and think my yard is their parking lot. Having said that, no matter how much it may annoy the fuck out of me, and it does, would not in any respect constitute any physical conflict. And I will say to their credit, they most of the time quiet down by the time I fall asleep. I really need to do the right thing and simply by some headphones for my TV so I can drowned out their noise.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
ex-minister wrote: Western

ex-minister wrote:

Western culture has become more secular and thus toning down of Christianity. There are not in power like Islam as in various countries.

Ghana is a good country to look for Christian cruelty. I have seen videos of burning witches by Christians. Am sure there are other such things going on. The last thing Christianity (or Islam for that matter) needs/should have is authoritarian rule. History shows they are no better than other dictatorships, like Stalin under Communism. 

Jesus said "My kingdom is not of this world". The Christians seem to bypass that statement. They cannot make the world safe for Jesus until they control the shit out of unbelievers. Jesus is one weak motherfucker to depend on humans to do his dirty work.

## edit - fixing up some grammar.

I really cant stand it when people single out Islam. CONTEXT matters. The east in Islam has not had 200 years of Jefferson and Paine. And the secular west which is a majority of some sect of Christianity often fails to realize that it still has the tribal baggage Islam does, the only difference between the two is that one is the pit bull with no leash and the other has a leash, but both can and will bite if given the chance.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Church and State

ex-minister wrote:

Yes, secularity is the only hope.

A quick search showed witch burning in a number of Christian African countries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14573660 covers the big new trend in Nigeria of Prosperity Christianity. What a scam.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
The bottom line is it is

The bottom line is it is easier to get laid by arranging a marriage to a 10 year old girl than going to a party and having to dress well, shower, shave, dance well and think of clever lines to say to women.

So the clash of cultures continues...

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:The bottom line is

EXC wrote:

The bottom line is it is easier to get laid by arranging a marriage to a 10 year old girl than going to a party and having to dress well, shower, shave, dance well and think of clever lines to say to women.

I'm guessing this is why our asshole ancestors came up with the whole arranged marriage business. The men didn't like the fact women are picky so they conjured up some bullshit "moral" reason for stripping the power to choose their mate from women.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Manageri wrote:EXC wrote:The

Manageri wrote:

EXC wrote:

I'm guessing this is why our asshole ancestors came up with the whole arranged marriage business. The men didn't like the fact women are picky so they conjured up some bullshit "moral" reason for stripping the power to choose their mate from women.

Bingo. All marriage is pretty much a way for society's power brokers to take sex selection away from the individual(male and female). Religion demands subjugation of one's sexuality because this is a source of it's power.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen