Neil Armstrong, 1930-2012

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Neil Armstrong, 1930-2012

ScienceDaily (Aug. 25, 2012) — Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon during the 1969 Apollo 11 mission, has died, following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures. He was 82.
Armstrong's words "That is one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind," spoken on July 20, 1969, as he became the first person ever to step onto another planetary body, instantly became a part of history.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120825193618.htm

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
A great national hero is

A great national hero is lost.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
That is sad. I am old enough

That is sad. I am old enough to actually have watched that historic event on TV the day it happened. Truly a wonderful feat. I wish America had continued to be as interested in space exploration as we were that day.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Truly a

ex-minister wrote:
Truly a wonderful feat. I wish America had continued to be as interested in space exploration as we were that day.

QFT

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
R.I.P. Neil Armstrong.  He

R.I.P. Neil Armstrong.  He represented a whole generation of high hopes and great achievements.  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
A really humble guy too. He

A really humble guy too. He didn't think he did it all by himself. He thought of himself as lucky and that it took thousands more people to put him on the moon.

I also think he would have a sense of humor even with his own death, it would be irony if his tombstone said "Houston, we have a problem".(I know that was not Apollo 11 but 13).

All kidding aside though, how cool would it be for any one of us to do what he did? To look up at the EARTH! The scientific community, and humanity has lost an icon. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
@Brian37I've heard that the

@Brian37

I've heard that the Earthrise and just the Earth in general are very beautiful from space and the Moon.

It is a incredible thing to walk on the Moon, and he was a lucky guy to have the privilege.

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
ThunderJones

ThunderJones wrote:

@Brian37

I've heard that the Earthrise and just the Earth in general are very beautiful from space and the Moon.

It is a incredible thing to walk on the Moon, and he was a lucky guy to have the privilege.

I feel lucky when I tie my shoes in the morning, lucky for me my shoes have no laces. So anything beyond being able to wipe my own ass, has to be icing on the cake. I cant begin to imagine what thoughts went through Neil's head, not his words or his interviews afterwords, but his thoughts.

It had to be something like when he put his foot on the service "HOLY FUCKING SHIT LOOK AT ME, I SHOULDN'T BE HERE, I AM THE LUCKIEST GUY IN THE UNIVERSE"

What Neil did, to me, would be like I worked up the nerve to ask Angelina Jolie out if she were single and she said yes. My head would explode.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps..

Brian37 wrote:

A really humble guy too. He didn't think he did it all by himself. He thought of himself as lucky and that it took thousands more people to put him on the moon.

I also think he would have a sense of humor even with his own death, it would be irony if his tombstone said "Houston, we have a problem".(I know that was not Apollo 11 but 13).

All kidding aside though, how cool would it be for any one of us to do what he did? To look up at the EARTH! The scientific community, and humanity has lost an icon. 

..............a more appropriate epitaph would be his real quote before the moon walk. "Houston, this is tranquility base, the eagle has landed."

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:Brian37

Jeffrick wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

..............a more appropriate epitaph would be his real quote before the moon walk. "Houston, this is tranquility base, the eagle has landed."

Oh stop, I like my motif better. I think death is the biggest damper on life. But I do get it, a bit sappy all be it.

In any case what can you say? The guy walked on the moon. I have problems tying my shoes. Kudos to Neil, and more so for that he didn't let his accomplishment go to his head.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37, Have to stretch it

Brian37,
Have to stretch it even more. They actually said "Houston, we had a problem".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/06/06/houston-we-have-a-problem_n_1574696.html

It would be a movie quote instead.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/pao/History/SP-350/ch-13-1.html

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Today's trivia item

I'd not heard this before.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2012/sep/13/buzz-aldrin-communion-moon

Before Armstrong and Aldrin stepped out of the lunar module on July 20, 1969, Aldrin unstowed a small plastic container of wine and some bread. He had brought them to the moon from Webster Presbyterian church near Houston, where he was an elder. Aldrin had received permission from the Presbyterian church's general assembly to administer it to himself.

He then ate and drank the elements. The surreal ceremony is described in an article by Aldrin in a 1970 copy of Guideposts magazine: "I poured the wine into the chalice our church had given me. In the one-sixth gravity of the moon the wine curled slowly and gracefully up the side of the cup. It was interesting to think that the very first liquid ever poured on the moon, and the first food eaten there, were communion elements."

He also read a section of the gospel of John. During it all, Armstrong, reportedly a deist, is said to have watched respectfully but without making any comment.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Science flies men to the

Science flies men to the moon, religion flies men into buildings.