Scientists Can Now Block Heroin, Morphine Addiction

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Scientists Can Now Block Heroin, Morphine Addiction

ScienceDaily (Aug. 14, 2012) — In a major breakthrough, an international team of scientists has proven that addiction to morphine and heroin can be blocked, while at the same time increasing pain relief.
The team from the University of Adelaide and University of Colorado has discovered the key mechanism in the body's immune system that amplifies addiction to opioid drugs.
Laboratory studies have shown that the drug (+)-naloxone (pronounced: PLUS nal-OX-own) will selectively block the immune-addiction response.
The results -- which could eventually lead to new co-formulated drugs that assist patients with severe pain, as well as helping heroin users to kick the habit -- will be published August 16 in the Journal of Neuroscience.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120814213246.htm

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heroin for all, fuck yeah.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I will have to see if I can

I will have to see if I can get a copy of the article from the JNS.  Thanks.

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Manageri wrote:Heroin for

Manageri wrote:

Doesn't block the negative effects lol, just the addiction. I'm still not taking either unless I really need them for medical puposes.

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fucking communist

Fucking communist scientists! What about curing Fucks News addiction?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Zaq
atheist
Zaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've had morphine several

I've had morphine several times (latest was about a month ago) and I absolutely hate it's effects.  I probably don't stand much of a chance for addiction myself (I seem to have this ingrained tendancy to avoid drugs like the plague.  I don't even drink caffeine or stand near smokers if I can help it), but it's nice to know it's on the way for those who need it.

Questions for Theists:
http://silverskeptic.blogspot.com/2011/03/consistent-standards.html

I'm a bit of a lurker. Every now and then I will come out of my cave with a flurry of activity. Then the Ph.D. program calls and I must fall back to the shadows.

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zaq wrote:I've had morphine

Zaq wrote:

I've had morphine several times (latest was about a month ago) and I absolutely hate it's effects.  I probably don't stand much of a chance for addiction myself (I seem to have this ingrained tendancy to avoid drugs like the plague.  I don't even drink caffeine or stand near smokers if I can help it), but it's nice to know it's on the way for those who need it.

I haven't had anything as strong as morphine, but the mid-range painkillers (way stronger than tylenol but not close to morphine) make me feel really sickened and uncomfortable. Maybe I'm just unused to painkiller highs (hurray!) but I much preferred the throbbing pain of wisdom-teeth-removal aftermath to the nausea.

Then again, I really hate nausea, so mileage may vary.

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker