Is evil in the world and deep human suffering a valid atheist argument for the non existence of God? 

Jimenezj
Theist
Posts: 344
Joined: 2011-12-16
User is offlineOffline
Is evil in the world and deep human suffering a valid atheist argument for the non existence of God? 

If there exists an extreme depth of ( evil-negative)  wickedness , then there must also be an extreme height of Love (good -positive)   This then is God. 
 
In the discipline of physics, a law 
States that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this sense, excesses of wickedness like Auschwitz and other massacres prove God's existence. 

All deep human suffering is not a valid atheist argument but proof that there must be a Comforter to compensate for it. Much suffering is directly or indirectly God's punishment for sin. To deduce from such suffering that there is no God is to deny instrumentality . One might as easily prove that a child has no father by the fact that his father spanked him. 
Richard Wurmbrand

appeal to ignorance is an argument for or against a proposition on the basis of a lack of evidence against or for it. If there is positive evidence for the conclusion, then of course we have other reasons for accepting it, but a lack of evidence by itself is no evidence for a no God. 


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote:If there

Jimenezj wrote:
If there exists an extreme depth of ( evil-negative)  wickedness , then there must also be an extreme height of Love (good -positive)   This then is God.    In the discipline of physics, a law  States that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this sense, excesses of wickedness like Auschwitz and other massacres prove God's existence.  All deep human suffering is not a valid atheist argument but proof that there must be a Comforter to compensate for it. Much suffering is directly or indirectly God's punishment for sin. To deduce from such suffering that there is no God is to deny instrumentality . One might as easily prove that a child has no father by the fact that his father spanked him.  Richard Wurmbrand

While human suffering might have played a tiny ( very tiny) part in my deconversion, it was not a major factor.

Even if these above assertions that you are making were true, it still would not prove that if a god existed, that it would care, love or comfort us or do anything bad to us.

So to make the automatic leap that there has to be "something" and that "something" must be god is a huge one and does not prove anything.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote:   In the

Jimenezj wrote:
   In the discipline of physics, a law  States that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this sense, excesses of wickedness like Auschwitz and other massacres prove God's existence. 

I am going to have to ask you to prove that.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


GodsUseForAMosquito
ModeratorBronze Member
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
Posts: 404
Joined: 2008-08-27
User is offlineOffline
 Why do you think that good

 Why do you think that good and evil need to balance out?

 

And even if they did, then earthly wickedness would be balanced by earthly goodness, not a heavenly creator. 

 

My first point is more important though.. unless you can show evidence that doing something evil inevitably leads to something good happening, this argument has no merit.

 

 

 

 


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

GodsUseForAMosquito wrote:

 

My first point is more important though.. unless you can show evidence that doing something evil inevitably leads to something good happening, this argument has no merit.

 

I am curious about that one myself. Especially how something like Auschwitz proves the existence of a loving and caring god ?

To analyze mass murder and genocide as comparable to a child being angry for a father spanking him is really rather an apples and oranges case.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


GodsUseForAMosquito
ModeratorBronze Member
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
Posts: 404
Joined: 2008-08-27
User is offlineOffline
 In fact, logically, if you

 In fact, logically, if you take the premise that good and evil must balance out, and that god exists, and that he answers prayers, then every time you pray you are doing evil.

THUS:

  1. You pray for something good to happen
  2. God answers prayer (sometimes, or so you believe)
  3. Good thing happens
  4. Evil balances good
  5. So something evil also happens
  6. so your prayer has caused an evil thing to happen.

 

So answer me that?

 

 


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote: In the

Jimenezj wrote:
In the discipline of physics, a law  States that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this sense, excesses of wickedness like Auschwitz and other massacres prove God's existence.

Actually, this resolves to an equality.  Meaning 0 sum.  So, if god is good, and allows for an equal amount of evil...  Let's say god has a goodness value of 40, and allows for evil enough to equate that (because you like the discipline of physics so much (I think you're looking for conservation of energy)), then god ends up not giving a crap.   Since it is impossible the quantify any of those values, your physics analogy is laughable.  It's like trying to resolve an equation through a modern dance interpretation, cute but ultimately retarded.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2399
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is onlineOnline
Jimenezj

Jimenezj wrote:
If there exists an extreme depth of ( evil-negative)  wickedness , then there must also be an extreme height of Love (good -positive)   This then is God.    In the discipline of physics, a law  States that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this sense, excesses of wickedness like Auschwitz and other massacres prove God's existence.  All deep human suffering is not a valid atheist argument but proof that there must be a Comforter to compensate for it. Much suffering is directly or indirectly God's punishment for sin. To deduce from such suffering that there is no God is to deny instrumentality . One might as easily prove that a child has no father by the fact that his father spanked him.  Richard Wurmbrand
                          There is no god, it is a fairy tale.                                          Atheists point out evil to show up the theist all the horrers and absurditys of fairy tale belief.                         God  is a fairy tale.                         Rather then preying to Jesus, Mary and Joseph why not prey to Cinderella, Repunzil and Red riding hood.  It makes as much sense.                         God is not real and fairy tale belief is for small children,                         Are you a small child that still believes in Santa  & the tooth fairy & Cinderella?                          God is a fairy tale and you can twist the laws of physics into as meny pretzles as you wish. Physics does not apply to fantasys.                          btw good & evil is emotional not physical, ergo physics does not apply.                                            

 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
 You'd actually  be better

 You'd actually  be better off if it proved the non-existence of God.

Otherwise, it shows your God exists and he's a hateful prick. He's also schizophreninc (being Comforter and Afflictor at the same time).

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4580
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote:If there

Jimenezj wrote:

If there exists an extreme depth of ( evil-negative)  wickedness , then there must also be an extreme height of Love (good -positive)   This then is God.    In the discipline of physics, a law  States that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The laws of physics apply to.... physics. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2399
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is onlineOnline
Jeffrick wrote:Jimenezj

Jeffrick wrote:

Jimenezj wrote:
If there exists an extreme depth of ( evil-negative)  wickedness , then there must also be an extreme height of Love (good -positive)   This then is God.    In the discipline of physics, a law  States that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this sense, excesses of wickedness like Auschwitz and other massacres prove God's existence.  All deep human suffering is not a valid atheist argument but proof that there must be a Comforter to compensate for it. Much suffering is directly or indirectly God's punishment for sin. To deduce from such suffering that there is no God is to deny instrumentality . One might as easily prove that a child has no father by the fact that his father spanked him.  Richard Wurmbrand
                          There is no god, it is a fairy tale.                                          Atheists point out evil to show up the theist all the horrers and absurditys of fairy tale belief.                         God  is a fairy tale.                         Rather then praying to Jesus, Mary and Joseph why not pray to Cinderella, Repunzil and Red riding hood.  It makes as much sense.                         God is not real and fairy tale belief is for small children,                         Are you a small child that still believes in Santa  & the tooth fairy & Cinderella?                          God is a fairy tale and you can twist the laws of physics into as meny pretzles as you wish. Physics does not apply to fantasys.                          btw good & evil is emotional not physical, ergo physics does not apply.                                            

 

 

 

                         How do I fix the effing format?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4580
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

Jimenezj wrote:
If there exists an extreme depth of ( evil-negative)  wickedness , then there must also be an extreme height of Love (good -positive)   This then is God.    In the discipline of physics, a law  States that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this sense, excesses of wickedness like Auschwitz and other massacres prove God's existence.  All deep human suffering is not a valid atheist argument but proof that there must be a Comforter to compensate for it. Much suffering is directly or indirectly God's punishment for sin. To deduce from such suffering that there is no God is to deny instrumentality . One might as easily prove that a child has no father by the fact that his father spanked him.  Richard Wurmbrand
                          There is no god, it is a fairy tale.                                          Atheists point out evil to show up the theist all the horrers and absurditys of fairy tale belief.                         God  is a fairy tale.                         Rather then praying to Jesus, Mary and Joseph why not pray to Cinderella, Repunzil and Red riding hood.  It makes as much sense.                         God is not real and fairy tale belief is for small children,                         Are you a small child that still believes in Santa  & the tooth fairy & Cinderella?                          God is a fairy tale and you can twist the laws of physics into as meny pretzles as you wish. Physics does not apply to fantasys.                          btw good & evil is emotional not physical, ergo physics does not apply.                                            

 

 

 

                         How do I fix the effing format?

 

Well because of the laws of physics, every well formatted post has to be offset by a poorly formatted post. Your poorly formatted post is just proof that somewhere there is a well formatted post. If you fixed it, it would just fuck up a post somewhere else. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

     

Well because of the laws of physics, every well formatted post has to be offset by a poorly formatted post. Your poorly formatted post is just proof that somewhere there is a well formatted post. If you fixed it, it would just fuck up a post somewhere else. 

LMAO.

I guess that means posters like Bishadi, created a whole bunch of well balanced posts. Also according to the laws of physics, every time we resort to "typical atheist mockery" as TWD liked to put it, that means that a whole bunch of atypical atheist non-mockery was simultaneously being posted elsewhere.

If this does not prove the existence of a computer god of some sort, I just don't know what will.

To say that the internet is not governed by an electronic deity is the same logic as a calculator getting angry at the fingers punching it.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13689
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
It depends on the claimant's

It depends on the claimant's description as to what attributes they believes applies to the god they claim.

According to most believers of the gods of Abraham the logic fails as to all loving, all knowing, all seeing, all powerful. If one claims this, then this god can only be described as inept, or malicious.

No sane parent would go out of their way to put their child in a home with broken glass on the floor, razor blades, lead paint, and fecal matter, and allow others to harm that child knowing they could stop it. God would seem to have no excuse given the attributes the claimants of such make.

Epicurus's "Problem with evil" argument, to this day, I have yet to see any credible argument from a theist that knocks down his rightful and solid objection to such a concept.

Some believe that there is a generic god who simply stepped aside and did nothing afterwords. A backslide away from the alleged god who intervenes and allegedly cares.

But to me this is a distraction to the core issue of any super natural claim. If you can accept that a hurricane does not need an ocean god named Posiden to cause it, why would anything good or bad in life, nature or the universe need to be the product of a magical super hero vs a magical villain? Do you really want us to believe that all of this is some cosmic battle over the neurons in human brains?

What would be so frightening if you knew that humans merely like the idea of a super hero, and that in our history humans have always made them up?

 

There has never been one period in human history that some individual, group, religion or nation, that has not suffered, failed or gained by the pain of others, nor has there been a period in human history where humans don't die for a variety of reasons EVERY SINGLE DAY.

The meteor that killed off the dinos was not sent there by Allah or Jesus or Thor. That event was a result of the motions and physics of the universe. Evolution is also the same, a product of processes, not the invention of a thinking being.

If you can accept that the sun is not a god, then you should be able to see why we reject your gap answer as well. Good and bad have always existed, just like a hurricane is neither good or bad, but we view it as bad because it can harm us and often does. Just like it doesn't take a Shinto god fo the Japanese to know that their Tsunami was harmful to their population. But that Tsunami also, was a product of conditions of the crust of the planet, and was not the weapon used by Allah or Thor or Jesus.

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Jimenezj
Theist
Posts: 344
Joined: 2011-12-16
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

Oskar Schindler .


ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
Posts: 433
Joined: 2012-04-23
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Jeffrick

Beyond Saving wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

 

                         How do I fix the effing format?

 

Well because of the laws of physics, every well formatted post has to be offset by a poorly formatted post. Your poorly formatted post is just proof that somewhere there is a well formatted post. If you fixed it, it would just fuck up a post somewhere else. 

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker


ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
Posts: 433
Joined: 2012-04-23
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote:Oskar

Jimenezj wrote:
Oskar Schindler .

No. He saved hundreds of jews. Millions died. This absolutely does not balance it out.

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker


Jimenezj
Theist
Posts: 344
Joined: 2011-12-16
User is offlineOffline
ThunderJ

I never said it was a balance . It is a positive
Outcome of evil .


Jimenezj
Theist
Posts: 344
Joined: 2011-12-16
User is offlineOffline
Brian

Epicurus's "Problem with evil" argument.

It was debunked by Richard Wurmbrand.
Read thread #1.


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote:Epicurus's

Jimenezj wrote:
Epicurus's "Problem with evil" argument. It was debunked by Richard Wurmbrand. Read thread #1.

 

Could you be a little more explicit?  A link to "thread #1" perhaps?  I did a quick search for Richard Wurmbrand and what I found he is talking about Communism and Marx with the only reference to Epicurus being a quote from Marx.  Not in any way related to debunking Epicurus's argument.  Thanks.

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote:Epicurus's

Jimenezj wrote:
Epicurus's "Problem with evil" argument. It was debunked by Richard Wurmbrand. Read thread #1.

I fail to see how the Wurmbrand quote at the top of this page debunks Epicurus argument in anyway.

I wonder why you have this short, clipped responses to in depth posts ?

Is it because you are afraid of engaging in a roll 'em up your sleeves and get dirty debate or is it because your afraid of having longer typed arguments shredded even more quickly than the brief ones that you use here ?

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote:  All deep

Jimenezj wrote:
  All deep human suffering is not a valid atheist argument but proof that there must be a Comforter to compensate for it. Much suffering is directly or indirectly God's punishment for sin. To deduce from such suffering that there is no God is to deny instrumentality . One might as easily prove that a child has no father by the fact that his father spanked him.  Richard Wurmbrand

Where is there any evidence that a comforter is needed ? Wumberland is obviously an idiot if his only sound justification for suffering is proof of a comforter. Why wouldn't god just eliminate all of the suffering to begin with ? Why allow it ?

I hope your not going to reiterate with Schindler. After all, god made the rules, god knew what the choices were going to be, and he knew the outcomes.

To put forth the notion that he is allowing sufferint SOLELY for the purposes of giving comfort would be even MORE evil than an indifferent god. This would be like me torturing one of my children (I don't have any of my own BUT) , just so that they could experience comfort afterward from their mother. Fucked up logic and reasoning if you ask me.

Care to argue this point a little more in depth and with some sense of reason ? Hell, even use some proof of these physics "laws" that you are pushing.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5861
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Jimenezj wrote:If there

Jimenezj wrote:
If there exists an extreme depth of ( evil-negative)  wickedness , then there must also be an extreme height of Love (good -positive)   This then is God.    In the discipline of physics, a law  States that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this sense, excesses of wickedness like Auschwitz and other massacres prove God's existence.  All deep human suffering is not a valid atheist argument but proof that there must be a Comforter to compensate for it. Much suffering is directly or indirectly God's punishment for sin. To deduce from such suffering that there is no God is to deny instrumentality . One might as easily prove that a child has no father by the fact that his father spanked him.  Richard Wurmbrand

Totally empty argument.

The physical law you refer to applies only to the physical forces acting on a specific object at a specific point on it.

The suffering does not disprove God, it is true, only makes it highly problematic that any such being is good and loving. There is no compelling logic that any such being must be 'good' by definition, the only argument would be 'might makes right'. God belief provides no other basis for deciding what is 'good' or 'evil'. It is inherently impossible for our finite mortal minds to 'know' with any certainty whatever what the motives or intent of any such being, if it actually existed, might be. It would be capable of totally misleading us for whatever purpose it may have. Faith implies total ignorance, pure subjective speculation.

Empirical evidence may not give absolute certainty, but it does allow us to estimate what degree of confidence any proposition may warrant.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
Posts: 433
Joined: 2012-04-23
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote:I never said

Jimenezj wrote:
I never said it was a balance . It is a positive Outcome of evil .

Irrelevant and untrue. Oskar Shindler's actions are indeed positive, but they do not originate or come from the acts of the holocaust in any way.

His actions are a heroic response to the depravity of the holocaust. It is from his own self that this good deed comes, and the only way it is related to the evil events of the holocaust is that they are in opposition to them and in response to them. As far as the holocaust goes, even with the actions of people like Shindler, there is a horrifying unbalance on the side of 'evil' occurred.

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote:If there

Jimenezj wrote:
If there exists an extreme depth of ( evil-negative)  wickedness , then there must also be an extreme height of Love (good -positive)   This then is God.   

Why does it have to be god? Extreme dept of wickedness is a state of being or action really, so the extreme opposite would be one of love and selflessness or as buddhist call a state of nirvana....why would it have to be god? If humans can be wicked then they can be selfless and loving....all without god.....this is illogical from you.

Quote:

In the discipline of physics, a law  States that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this sense, excesses of wickedness like Auschwitz and other massacres prove God's existence.  All deep human suffering is not a valid atheist argument but proof that there must be a Comforter to compensate for it. Much suffering is directly or indirectly God's punishment for sin. To deduce from such suffering that there is no God is to deny instrumentality . One might as easily prove that a child has no father by the fact that his father spanked him.  Richard Wurmbrand

opposite and equal reaction (plus this is in regards to physics not human psychology or actions) but what you have stated well.....one is an action the other is well not an action but a god.......kinda like saying this; extreme sadness exists, therefore the opposite is extreme happiness, Therefore we call this is a clown.........it's illogical...just like your god analogy.

Being wicked or acting wicked does not mean that the opposite is god, it means that the opposite is being loving and selfless or acting in such a manner......I don't get how you leap from action to deity.


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
What is even worse for your

What is even worse for your analogy is the following, you attempt to give the attribute of ultimate love to god, however if this is true, then god is incapable of hate, which if you use your bible, he is quiet capable, with that said a being of ultimate love would also not want others to suffer and would do what is possible to stop their suffering....which your god seems very much incapable of doing. One of ultimate love would mean ultimate selflessness yet your god is very selfish and jealous being (again if we are using the god of the bible) so....yeah.....your analogy goes against your argument about your particular god.


Jimenezj
Theist
Posts: 344
Joined: 2011-12-16
User is offlineOffline
Bob

Everything is made up of positive and negative energy.
Look at a atom and what will you see ?
To some people, Good and evil is a reflection of this energy.
If a negative exists, then there must also be a positive.
If evil exist then there must also be a Good or God. Or in
Other words, the ultimate positive being.

appeal to ignorance is an argument for or against a proposition on the basis of a lack of evidence against or for it. If there is positive evidence for the conclusion, then of course we have other reasons for accepting it, but a lack of evidence by itself is no evidence for a no God. 


Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
Posts: 284
Joined: 2008-06-12
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote:Everything is

Jimenezj wrote:
Everything is made up of positive and negative energy.

If a negative exists, then there must also be a positive.

If evil exist then there must also be a Good or God.

 

[Citation Needed]

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...


Jabberwocky
atheist
Posts: 333
Joined: 2012-04-21
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote:Everything is

Jimenezj wrote:
Everything is made up of positive and negative energy. Look at a atom and what will you see ? To some people, Good and evil is a reflection of this energy. If a negative exists, then there must also be a positive. If evil exist then there must also be a Good or God. Or in Other words, the ultimate positive being.

Even if the net amount of 'good and evil' was subject to these rules, and god existed, that would leave only 2 possible scenarios:

1. Satan (or, an ultimate negative being) exists, or

2. the balance to god's goodness is an excess of evil here in our world, yet he allows us to live here. What is this, god's sick reality TV show?

But your entire argument rests on erroneous presuppositions anyway. Good and evil are not bound by the laws of physics. Then you just presuppose that if ANY level of evil exists, you need a supreme good being (presumably to maintain this moral equilibrium). It's no more a stretch to say that this deity is made of spaghetti. 

Theists - If your god is omnipotent, remember the following: He (or she) has the cure for cancer, but won't tell us what it is.


tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
Posts: 482
Joined: 2012-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote:Everything is

Jimenezj wrote:
Everything is made up of positive and negative energy. Look at a atom and what will you see ? To some people, Good and evil is a reflection of this energy. If a negative exists, then there must also be a positive. If evil exist then there must also be a Good or God. Or in Other words, the ultimate positive being.

 

Does this mean that if there was always and ultimate positive being, then there was always an ultimate negative being?

Care to balance that equation with Scripture?

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5861
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Jimenezj wrote:Everything is

Jimenezj wrote:
Everything is made up of positive and negative energy. Look at a atom and what will you see ? To some people, Good and evil is a reflection of this energy. If a negative exists, then there must also be a positive. If evil exist then there must also be a Good or God. Or in Other words, the ultimate positive being.

Incorrect. We see positive and negative electric charge, and opposite polarities or senses of various other physical polarities, but not of energy.

The known fundamental particles, and atoms, can only be made up of positive energy. Negative energy is a tricky concept, and is NOT something you will see as commonly as you suggest. Not relevant anyway to questions of subjective values like 'good' and 'evil'. 

Even in the context of your 'argument', the existence of even extreme 'evil' would logically imply nothing about the existence of extreme 'good', certainly not require the existence of "the ultimate positive being", any more than the existence of both positive and negative electric charge in any way implies that somewhere in the Universe there must be an 'ultimate' positive or negative charge concentration. The absence of such massive accumulations of charge suggests there is no reason to expect to see an ultimate 'good' being, so this style of argument is not working for you at all.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Hi

 

Jimenezj wrote:

If there exists an extreme depth of ( evil-negative)  wickedness , then there must also be an extreme height of Love (good -positive). This then is God.  

 

How do you figure this, Jim? Going with you, extreme wickedness is no more than the efforts of men to kill each other. The opposite of this would be the efforts of men to help each other, surely. 

Where does the 'extreme' love of god fit in as the 'polar' opposite of human achievement in ill?

The argument from evil is a poor argument. For once I'd like some singular proof of a god, not appeals to extravagant hypothesis like this seems to be. 

Just appear, arguable god, for fuck's sake. Put your poor, desperate people out of their misery. Their arguments could really use your help. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
This seems to be a

Jimenezj wrote:

To some people, Good and evil is a reflection of this energy. If a negative exists, then there must also be a positive. If evil exist then there must also be a Good or God. Or in Other words, the ultimate positive being.

 

small sample fallacy. To some people Pandora is a real place, there are aliens and the Cronulla Sharks are going to win this year's NRL Grand Final. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Jimenezj
Theist
Posts: 344
Joined: 2011-12-16
User is offlineOffline
Bob

I agree on your statement.
The known fundamental particles, and atoms, can only be made up of positive energy.

God is described as a light of energy in scripture.

appeal to ignorance is an argument for or against a proposition on the basis of a lack of evidence against or for it. If there is positive evidence for the conclusion, then of course we have other reasons for accepting it, but a lack of evidence by itself is no evidence for a no God. 


Jimenezj
Theist
Posts: 344
Joined: 2011-12-16
User is offlineOffline
Latin

God is a word title.
Some people like the word force, power, energy
And others like the word Jesus.

appeal to ignorance is an argument for or against a proposition on the basis of a lack of evidence against or for it. If there is positive evidence for the conclusion, then of course we have other reasons for accepting it, but a lack of evidence by itself is no evidence for a no God. 


GodsUseForAMosquito
ModeratorBronze Member
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
Posts: 404
Joined: 2008-08-27
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote: God is

Jimenezj wrote:

 

God is described as a light of energy in scripture.

 

Where?

 

I've searched "Light of energy" in all English versions of the bible (http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword) but found no results.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote:Is evil in

Jimenezj wrote:
Is evil in the world and deep human suffering a valid atheist argument for the non existence of God?

Not in any general sense. However, in the case of a god described as both loving and omnipotent, it works perfectly.

Jimenezj wrote:
If there exists an extreme depth of ( evil-negative)  wickedness , then there must also be an extreme height of Love (good -positive)   This then is God. 

Then god is nothing more than a state of being, and one that can vary from individual to individual and culture to culture. Such a god is not a creator or force of any kind, merely a concept of self.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Quote:All deep human

Quote:
All deep human suffering is not a valid atheist argument but proof that there must be a Comforter to compensate for it. Much suffering is directly or indirectly God's punishment for sin. To deduce from such suffering that there is no God is to deny instrumentality . One might as easily prove that a child has no father by the fact that his father spanked him. 
Richard Wurmbrand

That is streching physics into philosophy, which do not compliment each other. Just because humans suffer does not necessitate some all powerful being to comfort them. Especially considering that humans have become very good at comforting and caring for fellow humans. If for no other reason than nothing else does so nearly as capably. No god has ever put food on someone's plate, but people do so every single day. No god has built a shelter for any being, but people do so every day. No god helps a child when lost and alone, people do.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote:God is a word

Jimenezj wrote:
God is a word title. Some people like the word force, power, energy And others like the word Jesus.

Since we already have words for the things you described (you used them) - isn't equating "god" to any of them meaningless?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Jimenezj
Theist
Posts: 344
Joined: 2011-12-16
User is offlineOffline
Vastet

The state of a being is existence.
"Cogito ergo sum"
Exodus 3:14


GodsUseForAMosquito
ModeratorBronze Member
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
Posts: 404
Joined: 2008-08-27
User is offlineOffline
 I believe that was

 I believe that was Descartes, not God.

 

 

 


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote:The state of

Jimenezj wrote:
The state of a being is existence. "Cogito ergo sum" Exodus 3:14

So because the writer of Exodus gave Yahweh a good Popeye impression he must exist?

Also, since God supposedly knows everything he doesn't need to think.

Descartes original statement also includes something that God can't do and you didn't mention - "Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum"

"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am." 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Jimenezj
Theist
Posts: 344
Joined: 2011-12-16
User is offlineOffline
JC

The state of a being is to exist .

Exodus 3:14
To be, or not to be: that is the question?


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2399
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is onlineOnline
Jimenezj wrote:The state of

Jimenezj wrote:
The state of a being is to exist . Exodus 3:14 To be, or not to be: that is the question?

 

 

 

                        Shakespeare,   and he was writing about suicide.

 

 

 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote:The state of

Jimenezj wrote:
The state of a being is to exist . Exodus 3:14 To be, or not to be: that is the question?

"How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?"

Exodus 3:14

The state of a being is to exist.

Since we're throwing disjointed catchphrases around.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5861
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Jimenezj wrote:The state of

Jimenezj wrote:

The state of a being is to exist . Exodus 3:14 To be, or not to be: that is the question?

The state of a being is much more than mere 'existence'. Even rocks 'exist'.

But back to that quote:

Exodus 3:14 - KJV wrote:

And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.

Not a very accurate quote, it seems to me. More stretching of the facts. You are obviously thinking of the famous speech from Shakespeare's Hamlet, starting:
Quote:

To be, or not to be, that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles

And by opposing end them. To die—to sleep,

No more; and by a sleep to say we end

The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks

That flesh is heir to: 'tis a consummation

Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;To sleep, perchance to dream—ay, there's the rub:

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,

When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,

Must give us pause—there's the respect

That makes calamity of so long life.

Shakespeare displayed much more insight and understanding of life than the writers of the bible, IMHO. Why do you keep trying to argue your 'God' into existence with such lame arguments, fallacies, and misquotations?? The state of the world, with its chaotic mix of good and evil, is much more comprehensible without trying to fit such an incoherent concept as God into it.

Are you going to get to some proper arguments eventually?

Oh, and BTW, there is plenty of evidence these days that Exodus was just a story, not supported by historical or archeological research.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
GodsUseForAMosquito

GodsUseForAMosquito wrote:

 I believe that was Descartes, not God.

 

Smiling

Good catch.

Besides that, what would god "believe" in or have "faith" in ? Hmm, would that mean that god is an atheist ?

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:Jimenezj

Ktulu wrote:

Jimenezj wrote:
The state of a being is to exist . Exodus 3:14 To be, or not to be: that is the question?

"How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?"

Exodus 3:14

The state of a being is to exist.

Since we're throwing disjointed catchphrases around.

ROFLMAO !

Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat Bar : Exodus 3:14

Born to Ride : Exodus 5:16

 

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:Jimenezj

BobSpence wrote:

Jimenezj wrote:

The state of a being is to exist . Exodus 3:14 To be, or not to be: that is the question?

The state of a being is much more than mere 'existence'. Even rocks 'exist'.

But back to that quote:

Exodus 3:14 - KJV wrote:

And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.

Not a very accurate quote, it seems to me. More stretching of the facts. You are obviously thinking of the famous speech from Shakespeare's Hamlet, starting:
Quote:

To be, or not to be, that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

 

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles

And by opposing end them. To die—to sleep,

No more; and by a sleep to say we end

The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks

 

That flesh is heir to: 'tis a consummation

Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;

To sleep, perchance to dream—ay, there's the rub:

 

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,

When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,

Must give us pause—there's the respect

That makes calamity of so long life.

Shakespeare displayed much more insight and understanding of life than the writers of the bible, IMHO. Why do you keep trying to argue your 'God' into existence with such lame arguments, fallacies, and misquotations?? The state of the world, with its chaotic mix of good and evil, is much more comprehensible without trying to fit such an incoherent concept as God into it.

 

Are you going to get to some proper arguments eventually?

Oh, and BTW, there is plenty of evidence these days that Exodus was just a story, not supported by historical or archeological research.

I learn something new everyday. I had no idea that Descartes and Shakespeare wrote the book of Exodus.

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Jimenezj wrote:The state of

Jimenezj wrote:
The state of a being is to exist . Exodus 3:14 To be, or not to be: that is the question?

Ok, I have a little tidbit of info on this whole existence thing. 

In order for something to exist fundamentally, it needs to have a location and a shape.  A location would place it in reality and a shape would be the boundary which separates it from the rest of the universe.  For this reason, a shape without a location doesn't exist.  For example a perfect circle has a shape but not a location.

A concept doesn't exist in reality, it is a subjective interpretation of reality.  It has neither shape or location.  So, in order for god to exist, you have to tell us the shape and location, otherwise god is just a concept.  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4580
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
The lost parts of the bible

 Genesis 1:IV

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Revelation 22:5

All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X