U.K. Cuts off The Boss, AND THEY WERE RIGHT!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13594
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
U.K. Cuts off The Boss, AND THEY WERE RIGHT!

It's all over the news so just google Bruce Springsteen. A recent concert in Hyde Park UK, was cut off by the sound engineers by noise ordinance laws.

Now before people go all off on me about this. Has anyone ever had a late working day, even into the night, say a Friday night, or Saturday, then had to get up early in the morning for another shift?

I DO like the social attitude of Bruce, he is for the common man economically. But what is the difference between your neighbor breaking noise laws, or a rich person doing it?

The way the media reported it they made it sound like he was cut off after the first song. This was after 3 hours of playing. Even for Bruce that is usually far more than most artists.

  Noise laws exist because other people have jobs and just because you like your own noise, doesn't mean your neighbor does. If Bruce is for the common man like he claims, then he should understand that in the city he played, were also people who needed to sleep and wake up early for work.

 

Otherwise if we can just offend others with noise whenever we want, a construction company could pound a jackhammer next to your house at 3 am.

 

This is NOT about his music. I am not calling his music noise. I am saying that the volume at the time of night has already been agreed on in that society as being disruptive, NOT THE MUSIC.

This is about the consideration of others. I am sure even Bruce like's quiet time sometimes. I am sure he would not want me outside his mansion at 3 am with a bullhorn, shouting "WE LOVE YOU BRUCE"

 

So unless this is about money equaling power, then Bruce who has plighted for the common man, should understand the value of sleep so that when they go to work, they can do the work he fights for.

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
you must have read a

you must have read a different article from me, because the one i read had a lot of quotes from outraged fans, and i think even steve van zandt expressed his frustration, but there was no quoted reaction from bruce himself, positive or negative.

from what i heard, he handled the situation with aplomb, doing a short acoustic (in the true sense of the word) number for the benefit of those under the stage, shrugging, and walking off stage.

 

"I asked my father,
I said, 'Father change my name.'
The one I'm using now it's covered up
with fear and filth and cowardice and shame."
--Leonard Cohen


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13594
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:you must have

iwbiek wrote:

you must have read a different article from me, because the one i read had a lot of quotes from outraged fans, and i think even steve van zandt expressed his frustration, but there was no quoted reaction from bruce himself, positive or negative.

from what i heard, he handled the situation with aplomb, doing a short acoustic (in the true sense of the word) number for the benefit of those under the stage, shrugging, and walking off stage.

 

He may have, but I was more addressing the media coverage of this. One CNN anchor painted the UK government as fascists "So much for freedom" were her words.

I agree we were reading different reports. If what you say is true,  Bruce should have spoken to the media and said, "I didn't mean to ignore the rules, I just wanted to please the fans, but I do understand laws and have follow them like everyone else. "

And even outside any noise laws, I can personally tell you, I hate it when a customer comes in last minute and then hangs out after close thinking we don't have lives outside our jobs. So even barring noise laws, the workers at that venue have as much right to their own personal lives and Bruce would not have the right to detain them. I am not saying he said anything, just pointing out the principle as to why the UK was right.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4486
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is onlineOnline
 I assume he had a permit?

 I assume he had a permit? If the whatever time his permit was good for passed then there is no reason to complain. But Bruce Springsteen fans are a bunch of whiny libs so what do you expect other than them throwing a fit when they don't get their way?

I just usually go with my own taste. If I like something, and it happens to be against the law, well, then I might have a problem.- Hunter S. Thompson


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3311
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: I

Beyond Saving wrote:

 I assume he had a permit? If the whatever time his permit was good for passed then there is no reason to complain. But Bruce Springsteen fans are a bunch of whiny libs so what do you expect other than them throwing a fit when they don't get their way?

Growing up in New Jersey, like I did, I was sick to death of Bruce and Bon Jovi before I was teenager. I like a couple of Bruce songs and that was IT. How come no one ever mentions that Juice Newton is from New Jersey, rather than Bruce or Bon ? If anyone remembers Juice, that is.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Growing up in New Jersey, like I did, I was sick to death of Bruce and Bon Jovi before I was teenager. I like a couple of Bruce songs and that was IT. How come no one ever mentions that Juice Newton is from New Jersey, rather than Bruce or Bon ? If anyone remembers Juice, that is.

i've always been a big bruce fan, but not so much his typical radio play stuff.  i really like his early albums, particularly his first one, "greetings from asbury park, n.j."  that had so many great songs: the original "blinded by the light," "lost in the flood," "spirits in the night," "it's hard to be a saint in the city."  "born to run" was a great album too, especially "backstreets," and "thunder road" will always be one of my favorite songs.

after "darkness on the edge of town," his shit degenerated into a lot of mindless pop rock.  he lost me by the time he danced with courtney cox.  still, i like his more acoustic albums, especially "ghost of tom joad."  every song on that album is a gem.

you ever seen adam sandler do bruce on snl?  it's fucking hilarious, and generally i hate adam sandler.

i'm not familiar with juice newton, but i do remember john cafferty and the beaver brown band doing "on the dark side."  those guys were more bruce than bruce.  love it.   

"I asked my father,
I said, 'Father change my name.'
The one I'm using now it's covered up
with fear and filth and cowardice and shame."
--Leonard Cohen


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3629
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
  Always hated the

  Always hated the so-called blue-collar rock like Bruce Springsteen.  I also think John Cougar Mellencrap was absolutely boring.  I can't even stand Eddie Money and he's probably not actually blue-collar rock.   ( They may be great people in person I just hate their music. )

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." Mark Twain.


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3311
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: 

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

  Always hated the so-called blue-collar rock like Bruce Springsteen.  I also think John Cougar Mellencrap was absolutely boring.  I can't even stand Eddie Money and he's probably not actually blue-collar rock.   ( They may be great people in person I just hate their music. )

I gotta agree with you there. Never really liked Springsteen and the local classic rock stations have played the same damned Mellencamp songs to the point that I can't change my radio station fast enough, when he comes on. I don't give a shit about Jack and Diane, or the little pink houses or growing up in a small town. Piss on Mellencamp.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
Posts: 482
Joined: 2012-02-14
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: 

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

  Always hated the so-called blue-collar rock like Bruce Springsteen.  I also think John Cougar Mellencrap was absolutely boring.  I can't even stand Eddie Money and he's probably not actually blue-collar rock.   ( They may be great people in person I just hate their music. )

 

Sometimes it's like I'm hearing myself think. 

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: 

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

  Always hated the so-called blue-collar rock like Bruce Springsteen.  I also think John Cougar Mellencrap was absolutely boring.  I can't even stand Eddie Money and he's probably not actually blue-collar rock.   ( They may be great people in person I just hate their music. )

well the really early springsteen, esp. his first album, isnt like that at all, which is why i like it.

"I asked my father,
I said, 'Father change my name.'
The one I'm using now it's covered up
with fear and filth and cowardice and shame."
--Leonard Cohen


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13594
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: I

Beyond Saving wrote:

 I assume he had a permit? If the whatever time his permit was good for passed then there is no reason to complain. But Bruce Springsteen fans are a bunch of whiny libs so what do you expect other than them throwing a fit when they don't get their way?

 I am not a fan of his, don't like or hate his music. But I would hardly call a millionaire an economic "lib" and you are so fucking black and white and paint "us libs" with a broad brush you forget I am the one who started this thread in which you agreed if the PERMIT PASSED, no one had a right to bitch. I agree!

So how does it feel to agree with a commie liberal?

He's fucking richer than you bud!

This is not a left or right or rich vs poor issue. I posted this because it is a common law issue. Who he is, and even if I like him, doesn't entitle him to break the rules no names like you and I can't.

I'd say that if Bush or Obama or you or I got pulled over doing 55 in a school zone, what should the cop do? THE SAME DAMNED THING!

Just because I agree with some issues with "libs" doesn't mean I agree with all issues all the time. Just like we don't like it when theists paint atheists with a broad brush.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


thelilith
thelilith's picture
Posts: 39
Joined: 2012-07-13
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Noise laws

Brian37 wrote:
Noise laws exist because other people have jobs and just because you like your own noise, doesn't mean your neighbor does. If Bruce is for the common man like he claims, then he should understand that in the city he played, were also people who needed to sleep and wake up early for work.


Boris Johnson, the mayor, gave a clever crowd pleaser to the press "If they'd have called me, my answer would have been for them to jam in the name of the Lord” but he lives in Mansion House so it wouldn’t have disturbed his kip if he’d turned in before The Boss in Hyde Park.


I live close to a football stadium and late on Friday and Saturday I can step outside and listen to gigs as though I was there but the plug is pulled at 11pm.  If folks in close proximity are to keep their sanity I think the OP has got it about right.
 

Real change will come when it is brought about, not by your ego, but by reality.
Tony de Mello