Looking to start a campus activism group

KnockEmOuttt
atheistBlogger
KnockEmOuttt's picture
User is offlineOffline
Looking to start a campus activism group

So a few months ago, a trio of preachers came a-thumping to my college (one was Shawn the Baptist, perhaps you've heard of this nut?). They got up on their soap boxes and started preaching away, mocking and ridiculing every woman, non-white, homosexual (and we have a lot of them), and just about any other minority, probably for about six hours. I knew they were full of it, but I couldn't believe how many people were genuinely shaken by it. A lot of non-religious (mostly agnostic people) were absolutely terrified, and perhaps most surprisingly a lot of religious kids too. They all were so horrified that they believed the same thing as the people shouting at their friends. These guys were so awful they left a lot of people in tears, and a lot of people absolutely seething (but you know, freedom of speech and all that.)

So now with this in mind, I've been thinking about starting something on my campus. We've got resources for Christians, Jews, Muslims, and even far-Eastern faiths on campus. We've literally got a designated office called the inter-faith center. We haven't got a single thing for atheists, or even more importantly those who are doubting their faith but don't have anyone they can turn to other than people who will tell them "believe or burn!"

I'm not looking to incite riots or burn churches or anything. I just want to put out the message that there's another solution, that people care and are willing to help, and do so in the name of humanity. Not a man in the sky. I'm an ex-Christian myself, and I feel like if I can help just one person free themselves from religious oppression then I've done some good for the world.

Is there anyone who could give me advice on how to start up something like this? I'm sure I'm not the first one who's tried to start something like this.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Congratulations coming to

Congratulations coming to the light. Smiling
It is fantastic that you want others to be helped out of the delusion. I wonder if it would be worth approaching the inter-faith-center and asking them to help set something for free thinkers (or whatever term you think would attract more people). It seems if they are willing to help a wide range of believers, why not also non-believers?

There are other organizations someone on here must know about that can help you...I think there is something called the student alliance.

Best of luck and I hope you keep us informed of your progress.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

KnockEmOuttt
atheistBlogger
KnockEmOuttt's picture
User is offlineOffline
inter-faith center

The inter-faith center isn't it's own body or anything, it's just where each individual group has an office. I doubt the religious folks would be so willing to help me set up something so contrary to their beliefs, although I don't see how anyone at the school could really stop me (especially since it's a state school.) I'll see who I can talk to about that. I kind of want to start this independent from the school though, just for the beginning. From what I've been told it's easier to go that way, because if you start from within the system you're restricted by their guidelines from the get-go, whereas groups that get started and are successful independently are given a bit more leeway when they're made official.

Jenkins, chap with wings there, five rounds rapid!

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you hang out at a local college?

I am attending Portland State (Oregon) and we have a Freethinkers club.  Here is the website, maybe you can get some ideas....

http://psuatheistagnostic.wordpress.com/

You might also search the secular humanists web site.  They list activities by area.  This is their listing for Portland, OR where I live.

http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/cities/us/or/portland/

Put in your own zip and see what comes up.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

KnockEmOuttt
atheistBlogger
KnockEmOuttt's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Thank you, I'll check

Thank you, I'll check those out.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
KnockEmOuttt wrote: The

KnockEmOuttt wrote:

The inter-faith center isn't it's own body or anything, it's just where each individual group has an office. I doubt the religious folks would be so willing to help me set up something so contrary to their beliefs, although I don't see how anyone at the school could really stop me (especially since it's a state school.) I'll see who I can talk to about that. I kind of want to start this independent from the school though, just for the beginning. From what I've been told it's easier to go that way, because if you start from within the system you're restricted by their guidelines from the get-go, whereas groups that get started and are successful independently are given a bit more leeway when they're made official.

Good point. Clever is this one. Smiling

Here is the group I was thinking of

http://www.secularstudents.org/

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
That website is having an

That website is having an issue at the moment, but details about it can be found in http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_Student_Alliance

Religion Kills !!!

KnockEmOuttt
atheistBlogger
KnockEmOuttt's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Fantastic. Thank you!

Fantastic. Thank you!

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
reference?

Exactly what collage do you attend?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

KnockEmOuttt
atheistBlogger
KnockEmOuttt's picture
User is offlineOffline
 SUNY Purchase.

SUNY Purchase.