Humanity at its worst-using acid to punish women

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Humanity at its worst-using acid to punish women

This contains horrible pictures of scarred women. So only go there if you have a tough stomach. Societies that treat women as 2nd class are an abomination. Humanity at its worst.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/taslima/2012/07/14/our-men-throw-acid-in-our-faces-destroy-our-lives-but-we-never-stop-loving-men/

Men throw acid on us with the intention of injuring and disfiguring us. Men throw acid on our bodies, burn our faces, smash our noses, melt our eyes and walk away as happy men.

Acid attack is common in Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Afghanistan, Nepal Cambodia, and a few other countries. Men throw acid on us because men are angry with us for refusing sexual harassment, sexual exploitation, proposals of marriage, demands for dowry, for attending schools, for not wearing Islamic veils, for not behaving well, for speaking too much, for laughing loudly and for pure fun.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I am familiar with this

I am familiar with this disgusting practice as well as the images of the victims.  This depravity is inspired by the traditions of a patriarchal religion which I assume is your primary focus ? 

Nevertheless the internet is filled with equally disgusting images of carnage inspired by competing drug cartels,  teenagers torturing animals,  young thugs attacking wheelchair-bound victims, etc.   Fuck humanity, religious or otherwise.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't see this as an

I don't see this as an outcome of being religious. I am sure most theist and atheist agree on its horror. There are some sick fucks in the world and it is important to be aware of it and punish those who commit such acts with clear and unequivocal justice.
Power over women and societies that look the other way is the what should never be tolerated. The article indicated that those societies were looking the other way and that's why I felt a need to post versus an isolated incident.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Jabberwocky
atheist
User is offlineOffline
It has to be mentioned

It has to be mentioned though, if we're going to blame Christianity for homophobia, or Judaism for genital mutilation, then we have to blame Islam for the acid attacks. The common thread is using religious texts/laws as justification for barbaric acts. It is this security blanket that allows these people to do these disgusting things. The human rights groups of the world automatically have a harder time combating any of them, because they have to jump over the hurdles of offending a religious group. While I'm not sure if there is any direct reference to throwing acid in the faces of women in the Qu'ran or the Hadith (and I doubt there is mention of acid throwing specifically), the words in both go a long ways in promoting male superiority. Without this, they have NO justification. 

Take homosexuality for instance. Even if you say "if anyone was meant to be homosexual, then you could have children by homosexual relations"...however, if someone is pre-disposed to it, they just are, and that's their own business. Without a god, or selected christian/judean scripture, there is no good argument to what 2 consenting adults want to do.

On circumcision, it's even easier. Nobody could ever argue that with modern hygienic technology (AKA soap!) there are any health benefits to slicing up the penis of an 8 day old boy. But with scripture, you have an excuse.

It's not so much blaming the religion for coming up with the ideas. Clearly, it's the people that come up with the disgusting concepts, but they use scriptures to support it, and due to various laws permitting freedom of religion, and a general fear of offending the religious in the world, they get away with crap that would not normally be tolerated. Personally I'm quite tired of it (well, "tired" is a major understatement)

Theists - If your god is omnipotent, remember the following: He (or she) has the cure for cancer, but won't tell us what it is.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  I

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I am familiar with this disgusting practice as well as the images of the victims.  This depravity is inspired by the traditions of a patriarchal religion which I assume is your primary focus ? 

Nevertheless the internet is filled with equally disgusting images of carnage inspired by competing drug cartels,  teenagers torturing animals,  young thugs attacking wheelchair-bound victims, etc.   Fuck humanity, religious or otherwise.

I gotta agree with you there Prozac. Just seeing these pictures makes me want to hunt down the men that did this and throw acid on their faces and on their genitals.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno