jesus and the mentioning of homosexuality in the new testament

hbmbc30
hbmbc30's picture
User is offlineOffline
jesus and the mentioning of homosexuality in the new testament

ok i have learned so much since ive done research on the bible and atheism.. i had read a post a while back where someone stated that jesus never ONCE condemmed being gay... BUT the word lech was mentioned throughout i looked up the definition and it says "one that engages in lechery"  which lechery is " inordinate indulgence in sexual activity "  please tell me if  i misread something or if im wrong.. thats why im posting this to see how far off base i may be.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not sure about

Not sure about jesus/homosexuality/ adultery ( although he does make a reference to eunuchs for god in Mathew). 

But, it never ceases to amaze me how many people who swallow the whole " I am spiritual but not religious" meme are so quick to say that " Jesus was a great teacher and a wise man, even if he was not the actual son of god". 

I never fail to shake my head when I hear this. 

Jesus was a complete and utter asshole when you read the new testament through and through. 

I could cite a few bible passages, but don't have the time to look them up this morning. 

Jesus, like all of the rest of the bible, is full of contradictions and full of shit. 

His teachings would be a remarkably poor framework to base one's life upon. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

hbmbc30
hbmbc30's picture
User is offlineOffline
hey harleysportster

i agree with you.. i keep finding these words that i dont understand so i try and look em up.. if im not mistake jesus came with a sword or something and i dunno im still doing research on the subject and little by little looking up the parts in the bible that christians and atheists point out.. who knows..

Chris

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Keep reading

hbmbc30 wrote:

i agree with you.. i keep finding these words that i dont understand so i try and look em up.. if im not mistake jesus came with a sword or something and i dunno im still doing research on the subject and little by little looking up the parts in the bible that christians and atheists point out.. who knows..

Your doing fine, keep up the research. Jesus with a sword is in Mathew 10: 34-38, read it as if you were Mr.T. it makes it fun reading. There is another quote from Jesus about 'trading your clothes for a sword'.  

Lech does mean eccessive sexual activity;  but it is all types of sex not just gay. Jesus made no direct reference to homosexuality, those references are in the Old Testement,  but Mathew 5:17 has the jesus charactor saying "I do not come to change the old laws but to fulfill them."  This would also include slavery, insest and genocide, but the OT does allow abortion in fact you would have to be 30 days old to be considered a human being. Go tell the xtian fundys to go read their bible.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

hbmbc30
hbmbc30's picture
User is offlineOffline
OH

ok i didnt not know that little tidbit thanks for the info.. thats why i come on here  to get feedback

Chris

joe_2007
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

Lech does mean eccessive sexual activity;  but it is all types of sex not just gay. Jesus made no direct reference to homosexuality, those references are in the Old Testement,  but Mathew 5:17 has the jesus charactor saying "I do not come to change the old laws but to fulfill them."  This would also include slavery, insest and genocide, but the OT does allow abortion in fact you would have to be 30 days old to be considered a human being. Go tell the xtian fundys to go read their bible.

Where are getting this from, Jeff?

joe_2007
Theist
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:I

harleysportster wrote:

I could cite a few bible passages, but don't have the time to look them up this morning. 

Jesus, like all of the rest of the bible, is full of contradictions and full of shit. 

I would like to hear some of these passages when you get a few minutes.

Thanks,

Joe

joe_2007
Theist
User is offlineOffline
hbmbc30 wrote:ok i have

hbmbc30 wrote:

ok i have learned so much since ive done research on the bible and atheism.. i had read a post a while back where someone stated that jesus never ONCE condemmed being gay... BUT the word lech was mentioned throughout i looked up the definition and it says "one that engages in lechery"  which lechery is " inordinate indulgence in sexual activity "  please tell me if  i misread something or if im wrong.. thats why im posting this to see how far off base i may be.

Hi Chris,

Where is the work 'lech' used? What Bible translation are you studying from?

Thanks,

Joe

joe_2007
Theist
User is offlineOffline
hbmbc30 wrote:ok i have

hbmbc30 wrote:

Chris,

I am still looking, but even if Jesus did not specifically say it, God stance on it is clearly shown in the NT.

(Ro 1:18–32)

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19       For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20       For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21       For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22       Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23       and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.
   24       Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25       because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.
   26       For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27       and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.
   28       And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. 29       They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, 30       slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31       foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32       Though they know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. 2001 (Ro 1:18–32).

Please keep asking the good questions, and please take every answer on this site with a grain of salt, and always go back to the Bible to find out if what we say is true.

Thank you,

Joe

joe_2007
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The sword is not literal.

Jeffrick wrote:

Your doing fine, keep up the research. Jesus with a sword is in Mathew 10: 34-38, read it as if you were Mr.T. it makes it fun reading. There is another quote from Jesus about 'trading your clothes for a sword'.  

The sword of which Jesus speaks in Matthew 10 is not a physical sword, which divides flesh.  Jesus' sword is used to divide those who follow Him from those who don't. To set them apart. The Bible is referred to as the Sword of God, for it does the same thing.

hbmbc30
hbmbc30's picture
User is offlineOffline
ok maybe i read something wrong

thats why i come on here in case i read something wrong or misinterpreted something.. im new to this site and my research is amateur but getting better by the day but i still... for the life of me i cant remember what passage.. i am using the NKJV study bible someone gave as a gift years ago.... any help would be appreciated. there are TONS of info out there and its fun to try and process it all but its helpful i have alot more ammo to defend myself if a christian or whomever wants to debate.. but theres ALOT i dont know yet and i am lookng foward to learning more with the help of folks on this forum

Chris

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
hbmbc30 wrote:thats why i

hbmbc30 wrote:

thats why i come on here in case i read something wrong or misinterpreted something.. im new to this site and my research is amateur but getting better by the day but i still... for the life of me i cant remember what passage.. i am using the NKJV study bible someone gave as a gift years ago.... any help would be appreciated. there are TONS of info out there and its fun to try and process it all but its helpful i have alot more ammo to defend myself if a christian or whomever wants to debate.. but theres ALOT i dont know yet and i am lookng foward to learning more with the help of folks on this forum

try   http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/    great info with side note. Also covers the Koran.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
joe_2007 wrote:Jeffrick

joe_2007 wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

Where are getting this from, Jeff?

KJV bible where else.     Try  Numbers 3:15-16. "don't count those one month of age or younger, count only those males one month and older..." . If they don't count before age 30 days then they don't count at all in the nine months before birth. Call it a simple equation on my part apparently females don't count at all.

btw call me Jim or try this video.     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFLmcDSlrqc   or both.

hbmbc30
hbmbc30's picture
User is offlineOffline
thankyou

thanks for the site...i look forward to where my research will lead me.

joe_2007
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Chris,  You may also want

Chris,

You may also want to try http://biblia.com/  for other English versions and commentaries that help interpret the passages.  Most "contradictions" end up being peoples' misinterpretations.

Thank you,

Joe

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Read the fine print

joe_2007 wrote:

hbmbc30 wrote:

Chris,

I am still looking, but even if Jesus did not specifically say it, God stance on it is clearly shown in the NT.

(Ro 1:18–32)

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19       For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20       For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21       For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22       Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23       and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.
   24       Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25       because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.
   26       For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27       and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.
   28       And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. 29       They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, 30       slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31       foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32       Though they know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. 2001 (Ro 1:18–32).

Please keep asking the good questions, and please take every answer on this site with a grain of salt, and always go back to the Bible to find out if what we say is true.

Thank you,

Joe

The topic question at hand is "did Jesus say anything against gays?'  Your citing of Romans although accurate is of course one of Paul's epistles not a Jesus quote.  Now has far has I know Jesus said nothing  for or  against homosexuals.   Paul did,  OT  did but Jesus did not.

joe_2007
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Jeff, That's why I said

Jeff,

That's why I said that I am still looking.. but I believe that you are correct, that Jesus did not say anything specific.

Joe

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
joe_2007 wrote:Jeff, That's

joe_2007 wrote:

Jeff,

That's why I said that I am still looking.. but I believe that you are correct, that Jesus did not say anything specific.

Joe

Make it Jim.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
joe_2007 wrote:Jeff, That's

sorry dubble post

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
JC wouldn't

hbmbc30 wrote:

be "against" homosexuality, he wouldn't agree with it. To him sex isn't a big deal. He's not about the superficial/physical, he is of the interior,spiritual. In his world you are the spiritual or inner, not the physical. His concern would be what manner of person one is. The physical is not the person---to him. He would see the situation as "carnal", flesh oriented, one who is a body worshiper. He's not against these things they aren't a part of his world. 

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
JC wouldn't

hbmbc30 wrote:

be "against" homosexuality, he wouldn't agree with it. To him sex isn't a big deal. He's not about the superficial/physical, he is of the interior,spiritual. In his world you are the spiritual or inner, not the physical. His concern would be what manner of person one is. The physical is not the person---to him. He would see the situation as "carnal", flesh oriented, one who is a body worshiper. He's not against these things they aren't a part of his world. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Old Seer wrote:be "against"

Old Seer wrote:

be "against" homosexuality, he wouldn't agree with it.

Oh, I get it.  Jesus himself wasn't against homosexuals  ...but God his Father absolutely hated them ! 

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
No..

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Old Seer wrote:

Oh, I get it.  Jesus himself wasn't against homosexuals  ...but God his Father absolutely hated them ! 

He wasn't and his father wasn't, the Hebrew leaders were. His Father is the creator. after the fall of their ancestors ,Adam, and after genesis they followed religious leaders who make the rules. The leaders are civilized entities under which man rules man instead of remaining as being ruled by the knowledge of the creator. The creator lets you do whatever you want to. He won't punish you, you'll merely encounter the consequences of your actions, that is, if there would be any to encounter. Sometimes there isn't.

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Old Seer

Old Seer wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Old Seer wrote:

He wasn't and his father wasn't, the Hebrew leaders were. His Father is the creator. after the fall of their ancestors ,Adam, and after genesis they followed religious leaders who make the rules. The leaders are civilized entities under which man rules man instead of remaining as being ruled by the knowledge of the creator. The creator lets you do whatever you want to. He won't punish you, you'll merely encounter the consequences of your actions, that is, if there would be any to encounter. Sometimes there isn't.

Where are you getting this? Accounts from christianity (i.e. the old testament Leviticus specifically) completely disagrees. Please tell me why you know better.

The Bible is full of talk about how God will punish you for sins, are you saying no one is punished?

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
ThunderJones wrote:Old Seer

ThunderJones wrote:

Old Seer wrote:

Where are you getting this? Accounts from christianity (i.e. the old testament Leviticus specifically) completely disagrees. Please tell me why you know better.

The Bible is full of talk about how God will punish you for sins, are you saying no one is punished?

That's what I thought he said.  And the troll Jean insists we can't escape punishment, no matter our repentance.  He claims to be Calvinist after all and Calvin was a nasty bugger. 

Old Sage is more in keeping with Skinner and the other behaviorists in that positive reinforcement does promote "correct" behavior better than punishment ever will.  Maybe they are all a bunch of behaviorists running away from the drudgery of their regular practices, clinics, and clients/patients.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

hbmbc30
hbmbc30's picture
User is offlineOffline
jean sucks

hes a stupid troll, why he even comes on here is beyond me sometimes... i honestly think he gets off on the negative backlash from us... he needs to stay off this site cause hes like every other theist troll out there

Chris