Anyone Have Any Information on the Late Kathryn Kuhlman?

Marty Hamrick
atheist
Marty Hamrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anyone Have Any Information on the Late Kathryn Kuhlman?

I once read, can't remember where because it was a long time ago, that the late faith healer , Kathryn Kuhlman used electrical filaments in the sleeves of her robes to shock people who walked up to her during her healing services. I read where this was found out after she died. I have found nothing on a google search about this, in fact there is very little about her from a secular point of view.   Anyone know anything about this?

"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Never heard of her. Sorry.

Never heard of her. Sorry. Sad

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Marty Hamrick
atheist
Marty Hamrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Never heard of

Vastet wrote:
Never heard of her. Sorry. Sad

She was probably before your time. She died in 1976, so so much for her healing abilities. Benny Hinn is one of her proteges.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, just barely. Have

Yeah, just barely. Have heard of the protogé.

Marty Hamrick
atheist
Marty Hamrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
 See my next thread, its

See my next thread, its quite puzzling with the obvious fakery that IS faith healing, there are so few secular reports on these shysters being caught up with or debunked.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Benny Hinn is a criminal and

Benny Hinn is a criminal and a con artist, and the only thing that keeps him out of jail is the massive amount of gullible people who buy his bullshit would start a war if he was rightfully brought up on charges.

He goes way beyond the pastors and priests and ministers who sell and market, but honestly believe. Benny Hinn is an insidious monster who only cares about power and money. I can accept that people will have irrational beliefs, but I despise con artists and Benny Hinn should be put in prison and his assets auctioned off and the money returned to those he fleeced.

I wonder if there have been any former members of his con cult who have come to their senses, should sue his fucking ass.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marty Hamrick wrote: See my

Marty Hamrick wrote:

See my next thread, its quite puzzling with the obvious fakery that IS faith healing, there are so few secular reports on these shysters being caught up with or debunked.

One of my favorite episodes of the original Hawaii 5-0 had Steve's sister's baby with a terminal illness. She ran into a quack who convinced her that her contraption could diagnose and cure her baby. The quack finally ended up on trial and was confident that she could fool the court. So one of the lawyers offered up a "blood sample" but dropped under the desk so she couldn't see that he had switched it with catchup. They had exposed her con. That was an example of pop culture BACK IN THE 70s, promoting skepticism.

There have always been a market for skeptics, but it is up to us to expand that market.

The James Randi foundation is a good source. Mythbusters although doesn't directly address faith healing, does create a positive climate in the viewer to be skeptical. And websites like this constantly challenge absurd claims. But there will not be any silver bullet, people will always have irrational beliefs, our species always has. The only thing we can do is remain vigilant to minimize the harm these irrational beliefs can cause.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Marty Hamrick
atheist
Marty Hamrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote: the only thing

Quote:

the only thing that keeps him out of jail is the massive amount of gullible people who buy his bullshit would start a war if he was rightfully brought up on charges.

And these gullible ignoramuses are well funded, they can afford lawyers.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marty Hamrick wrote: See my

Marty Hamrick wrote:

One day a wise man or woman will devise and enforce a law prohibiting people from making false, misleading, or unproven claims in the pursuit of profit. On that day, I will cheer.

Marty Hamrick
atheist
Marty Hamrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Marty Hamrick

Vastet wrote:
Marty Hamrick wrote:

One day a wise man or woman will devise and enforce a law prohibiting people from making false, misleading, or unproven claims in the pursuit of profit. On that day, I will cheer.

Probably take a massive lawsuit and someone of celebrity status to lead the charge. Too much money to be made in those scams.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marty Hamrick

Marty Hamrick wrote:

Probably take a massive lawsuit and someone of celebrity status to lead the charge. Too much money to be made in those scams.

Yep. That is probably what it would take. 

But, I have little hope on that one. 

L. Ron Hubbard ADMITTED that he was making up the scientology religion and Hollywood celebrities fall for it. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Marty

harleysportster wrote:

Marty Hamrick wrote:

Yep. That is probably what it would take. 

But, I have little hope on that one. 

L. Ron Hubbard ADMITTED that he was making up the scientology religion and Hollywood celebrities fall for it. 

A number of societal and personal forces at work here.  They are self-justifying.  They have invested so much time and money, it just has to be true.  They can't really be that gullible, can they?  Nah, scientology has to be true.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.