Assuming:What's Up With That?

Marty Hamrick
atheist
Marty Hamrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Assuming:What's Up With That?

I don't know if it's just me, the area I grew up in or what, but why is it that many fundamentalist (Evangelical,Bible believing if you prefer)assume that when they first meet someone, that person is a Christian who believes as they do? I've seen this so many times in businesses,people who should know better than to open a religious or political conversation with customers and in general. The conversation may start off normal, but then they may say something snide about atheists, "People who don't believe in God are such and such", or "I saw a show on TV that was so nasty, I had to turn it off, what if Jesus had've returned and that had've been on?" Or, "That godless Obama did such and such" .What's up with that? I've worked for the public, and I was taught to never engage a customer in any conversation that could start an argument. In other words, no politics or religion. Christians, why do you do this(if you're the type that does)?

I don't remember if I posted this before or not.

"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it just honestly

I think it just honestly doesn't occur to some people that they are the miniority in their beliefs, or that they are in the miniority in their views on blank.

Ignorant people have a very egotistical world-view sometimes. Even intelligent people can often say baseless ignorant things that they just heard somewhere.

It's so stupid. People don't research an issue themselves, they just spout what is essentially rumors and biased slander that sounds "about right" to them.

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker

Marty Hamrick
atheist
Marty Hamrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well yeah, it seems to be a

Well yeah, it seems to be a human problem moreso than a religious one. One Christian poster on the CARM site said that he experienced the opposite since he lived up north in a more secular social climate and he experienced this type of "assuming" from secular folks whom, he felt were antagonistc toward Christians and Christianity. I've found it also in anyone that has very strong convictions and feel that they need to express those convictions with anyone who will listen. I had a barber once who constantly felt the need to trash Obama. I never said anything, but I felt uncomfortable in that he assumed me to be a fellow Republican. I think he got the message when I would not join in his trashing.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"I've worked for the public,

"I've worked for the public, and I was taught to never engage a customer in any conversation that could start an argument. In other words, no politics or religion."

Or sports! Sports conversations can make political and religious discussions look civilised. lol

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Marty Hamrick
atheist
Marty Hamrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:"I've worked

Vastet wrote:
"I've worked for the public, and I was taught to never engage a customer in any conversation that could start an argument. In other words, no politics or religion." Or sports! Sports conversations can make political and religious discussions look civilised. lol
Don't ever get my cousin started on anything negative about Nascar.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It probably depends on the

It probably depends on the area you are in. If an area is heavily religious most atheists will tend to avoid religious arguments so the assumption that someone is a christian is a safe one because either they are, or they won't say anything allowing the speaker to pretend the person is a christian. Personally, I always thought the idea that one shouldn't speak religion or politics in public is complete bullshit designed to get the minority to shut up and IMO one of the reasons that Americans are so fucking ignorant about politics- since it is socially unacceptable to talk about it people don't learn about it. When I was in sales knowing the local sports teams and the results every week was almost a requirement so you could converse semi-intelligently about it. It is sad that I had to know the name of the local colleges QB but no one would notice if I had no clue who the state representative in the area was. 

I don't go out of my way to talk about it, but when the conversation comes up I don't hide my opinion whether that person is a customer, business associate, employee or whatever. Pretty much everyone who has known me for any length of time has a rough idea of my political and religious views. Yes, it has cost me business from time to time but anyone who is so bigoted they won't do business because of someones political or religious views isn't someone I want as a customer anyway. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Marty Hamrick
atheist
Marty Hamrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Personally, I always

Quote:

Personally, I always thought the idea that one shouldn't speak religion or politics in public is complete bullshit designed to get the minority to shut up and IMO one of the reasons that Americans are so fucking ignorant about politics- since it is socially unacceptable to talk about it people don't learn about it.

No, the reason people don't learn about politics is because they're basically lazy and politics is boring.