Girl killed by 1000 pound cross.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3123
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
Girl killed by 1000 pound cross.

File this one under religion kills:

http://www.digtriad.com/news/article/231852/1/Funeral-Planned-For-4-Year-Old-NC-Girl-Killed-By-Tombstone

All part of the plan. Jesus died(for just 3 days) so that some rich guy could feel the need to buy a big cross so god wouldn't forget him at the resurrection.

 

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” Seneca


ex-minister
atheistHigh Level ModeratorSilver Member
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1704
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
I am guessing the little

I am guessing the little girl took the lord's name in vain.
In primitive times those kind of things would be thought, said, preached and codified in a holy book.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
Posts: 1376
Joined: 2011-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Misc. --

  My Aunt Emma was a Roman Catholic and she wanted to die on Christmas day. At 86 after a four day fast  she got her wish.

 By the title alone  I was reminded of a man. During the infamous Salem-Trials. One of the methods of scheduled execution was in the form of laying a large board across the chest and gradually increasing the weight. One of the males executed was reported  to have  said  "more weight"  every time they lay a larger stone across him. 

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/previous_seasons/case_salem/resources.html <www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/previous_seasons/case_salem/clues.html>


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2354
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary

               The prosicutors were trying to get the man to enter a plea of guilty or not guilty.  There was a quirk in the law that the victom was  takeing advantage of.  He had to enter a plea before the trial could proceed, at which point the trial would take place but the defendent would have to pay the costs, plus  his room and board at the local jail;  even if acquited!  with a conviction the court could seize all his assets.  But without a plea at death his heirs inherited and the courts go nothing. The man wasn't being brave he was being cheep.

 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10136
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
It'd still take 'balls' to

It'd still take 'balls' to remember and hold to the 'cheapskate' mentality whilst being tortured to death. How many others have dropped everything they believed in at just the threat of violence?

I'd also classify it more as revenge. I doubt very many people who were killed for practicing magic actually believed they could practice magic. I know if I were accused of a crime I didn't commit for which the sentence was death and confiscation of all my assets, I'd do everything I could to derail and extend the proceedings to screw the court system and the people who pay for it, out of spite if nothing else.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13235
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
It is sad that that girl

It is sad that that girl died, but to ignore the irony would be willful ignorance.

Yet another example of how this claimed god can only be inept or malicious considering people claim he has the power to intervene. A 4 year old kid. I wouldn't hire such a selective deadbeat to baby sit my kid if I had one.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2354
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:It'd still take

Vastet wrote:
It'd still take 'balls' to remember and hold to the 'cheapskate' mentality whilst being tortured to death. How many others have dropped everything they believed in at just the threat of violence? I'd also classify it more as revenge. I doubt very many people who were killed for practicing magic actually believed they could practice magic. I know if I were accused of a crime I didn't commit for which the sentence was death and confiscation of all my assets, I'd do everything I could to derail and extend the proceedings to screw the court system and the people who pay for it, out of spite if nothing else.

 

 

 

                      Now that I think about it, my last line was far too flippant.   He had plenty of balls and a rational stubborness to hold out untill death, he was supposedly a wealthy man so it must have pissed off his tortuerers when he kept their hands off his familys wealth. Good for him.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13235
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:Vastet

Jeffrick wrote:

Vastet wrote:
It'd still take 'balls' to remember and hold to the 'cheapskate' mentality whilst being tortured to death. How many others have dropped everything they believed in at just the threat of violence? I'd also classify it more as revenge. I doubt very many people who were killed for practicing magic actually believed they could practice magic. I know if I were accused of a crime I didn't commit for which the sentence was death and confiscation of all my assets, I'd do everything I could to derail and extend the proceedings to screw the court system and the people who pay for it, out of spite if nothing else.

 

 

 

                      Now that I think about it, my last line was far too flippant.   He had plenty of balls and a rational stubborness to hold out untill death, he was supposedly a wealthy man so it must have pissed off his tortuerers when he kept their hands off his familys wealth. Good for him.

 

I am confused. How does any possible narcissism on his part having such a gaudy display, or any beef with the living, justify the lack of responsibility on his family's part in building that monument, or the constructors or builders or the graveyard owners? A girl died because of the neglect of the humans that requested that monument and the people who built it and maintained it.

I am sure he couldn't have known the girl would have been crushed, he is dead. But his narcissism or that of the family lead to the building of that defective monument which caused an innocent girl's death.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13235
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Now before any theist go

Now before any theist go "Brian, on the one hand you blame god, but then here in this last post you rightfully blame humans, aren't you trying to have it both ways".

NO

Humans are the only one to blame for anything in reality. Lack of planning to make the structure safe and or maintenance issues caused this.

I cannot blame a fictional being that does not exist. It would be like blaming Superman or Batman for not saving this girl.

HOWEVER IF IF IF IF IF IF, we are playing "lets pretend for argument's sake" based on the claims of the believer that an invisible friend exists and can intervene, I would see no moral reason for an all powerful god to allow a 4 year old to be crushed to death. Did this god ask that little girl if it would be ok to even allow her to be crushed to death? What do you think a 4 year old would say if you asked her "Hey, you feel like dying today"

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3185
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Jeffrick

Brian37 wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

Vastet wrote:
It'd still take 'balls' to remember and hold to the 'cheapskate' mentality whilst being tortured to death. How many others have dropped everything they believed in at just the threat of violence? I'd also classify it more as revenge. I doubt very many people who were killed for practicing magic actually believed they could practice magic. I know if I were accused of a crime I didn't commit for which the sentence was death and confiscation of all my assets, I'd do everything I could to derail and extend the proceedings to screw the court system and the people who pay for it, out of spite if nothing else.

 

 

 

                      Now that I think about it, my last line was far too flippant.   He had plenty of balls and a rational stubborness to hold out untill death, he was supposedly a wealthy man so it must have pissed off his tortuerers when he kept their hands off his familys wealth. Good for him.

 

I am confused. How does any possible narcissism on his part having such a gaudy display, or any beef with the living, justify the lack of responsibility on his family's part in building that monument, or the constructors or builders or the graveyard owners? A girl died because of the neglect of the humans that requested that monument and the people who built it and maintained it.

I am sure he couldn't have known the girl would have been crushed, he is dead. But his narcissism or that of the family lead to the building of that defective monument which caused an innocent girl's death.

 

I believe that Vastet and Jeffrick are referring to the man that allowed himself to be tortured to death during the Salem Witch Trials and not the OP. Just to clarify. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13235
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

Vastet wrote:
It'd still take 'balls' to remember and hold to the 'cheapskate' mentality whilst being tortured to death. How many others have dropped everything they believed in at just the threat of violence? I'd also classify it more as revenge. I doubt very many people who were killed for practicing magic actually believed they could practice magic. I know if I were accused of a crime I didn't commit for which the sentence was death and confiscation of all my assets, I'd do everything I could to derail and extend the proceedings to screw the court system and the people who pay for it, out of spite if nothing else.

 

 

 

                      Now that I think about it, my last line was far too flippant.   He had plenty of balls and a rational stubborness to hold out untill death, he was supposedly a wealthy man so it must have pissed off his tortuerers when he kept their hands off his familys wealth. Good for him.

Ok, that just means I need to lay off the caffeine and take myself off auto pilot. I hate liking shiny objects, but they are soooo shiny.

 

I am confused. How does any possible narcissism on his part having such a gaudy display, or any beef with the living, justify the lack of responsibility on his family's part in building that monument, or the constructors or builders or the graveyard owners? A girl died because of the neglect of the humans that requested that monument and the people who built it and maintained it.

I am sure he couldn't have known the girl would have been crushed, he is dead. But his narcissism or that of the family lead to the building of that defective monument which caused an innocent girl's death.

 

I believe that Vastet and Jeffrick are referring to the man that allowed himself to be tortured to death during the Salem Witch Trials and not the OP. Just to clarify. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13235
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

Vastet wrote:
It'd still take 'balls' to remember and hold to the 'cheapskate' mentality whilst being tortured to death. How many others have dropped everything they believed in at just the threat of violence? I'd also classify it more as revenge. I doubt very many people who were killed for practicing magic actually believed they could practice magic. I know if I were accused of a crime I didn't commit for which the sentence was death and confiscation of all my assets, I'd do everything I could to derail and extend the proceedings to screw the court system and the people who pay for it, out of spite if nothing else.

 

 

 

                      Now that I think about it, my last line was far too flippant.   He had plenty of balls and a rational stubborness to hold out untill death, he was supposedly a wealthy man so it must have pissed off his tortuerers when he kept their hands off his familys wealth. Good for him.

I am confused. How does any possible narcissism on his part having such a gaudy display, or any beef with the living, justify the lack of responsibility on his family's part in building that monument, or the constructors or builders or the graveyard owners? A girl died because of the neglect of the humans that requested that monument and the people who built it and maintained it.

I am sure he couldn't have known the girl would have been crushed, he is dead. But his narcissism or that of the family lead to the building of that defective monument which caused an innocent girl's death.

 

I believe that Vastet and Jeffrick are referring to the man that allowed himself to be tortured to death during the Salem Witch Trials and not the OP. Just to clarify. 

Ok, that just means I need to lay off the caffeine and take myself off auto pilot. I hate liking shiny objects, but they are soooo shiny.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
Posts: 1376
Joined: 2011-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Fool's gold ? But the jokes are gold . . . .

 

 

harleysporter wrote:
I believe that Vastet and Jeffrick are referring to the man that allowed himself to be tortured to death during the Salem Witch Trials and not the OP. Just to clarify.

Brian37 wrote:
Ok, that just means I need to lay off the caffeine and take myself off auto pilot. I hate liking shiny objects, but they are soooo shiny.

     


To Jeffrick:  

mod wrote:
The prosicutors were trying to get the man to enter a plea of guilty or not guilty.  There was a quirk in the law that the victom was  takeing advantage of.  He had to enter a plea before the trial could proceed, at which point the trial would take place but the defendent would have to pay the costs, plus  his room and board at the local jail;  even if acquited!  with a conviction the court could seize all his assets.  But without a plea at death his heirs inherited and the courts go nothing. The man wasn't being brave he was being cheep.
               

  Jeffrick thanks for the information. This is why details matter. I know the program mentioned only in passing about "many were just jailed", you can tell where the viewers were led by my comment(s) in the absence of more detailed information. I am not a wiccan afterall (Avatar, look at the Avatar).  Correct me again, anytime.  Win-win for me the GENTLEwoman . Seriously thankyou I appreciate you setting me straight Smiling

 

  And Brian,  Yes crosses kill ..       

                                                                              :       
    
 

 

 http://www.salisburypost.com/News/061112-WEB-Funeral-planned-for-NC-girl-killed-by-tombstone

 


danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
Posts: 1376
Joined: 2011-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Enduring

  Quoting  Poe :

 

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary, Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore, While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping, As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. "'Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door -- Only this, and nothing more." Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December, And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor. Eagerly I wished the morrow;- vainly I had sought to borrow From my books surcease of sorrow -- sorrow for the lost Lenore -- For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore -- Nameless here for evermore. And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain Thrilled me -- filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before; So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating, "'Tis some visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door -- Some late visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door; -- This it is, and nothing more." Some late visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door; -- This it is, and nothing more." Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer, "Sir," said I, "or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore; But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping, And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door, That I scarce was sure I heard you" -- here I opened wide the door; -- Darkness there, and nothing more. . .

 


A_Nony_Mouse
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
Posts: 2880
Joined: 2008-04-23
User is offlineOffline
Maybe I missed something but

Isn't there some kind of contract clause about never getting a cross too great to bear?


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3185
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:Isn't

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Isn't there some kind of contract clause about never getting a cross too great to bear?

Oddly enough, now that you mention it, that is a popular theist slogan : god never puts more on your shoulders than you can handle. 

That is another one of their platitudes that pisses me off. 

Tell that to parents with children in the hospital with leukemia. 

Tell that to people living on the streets.

Tell that to someone who just had to bury their parent/ parents. 

Another mindless platitude on behalf of theists. Another one that pisses me off. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13235
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote: 

danatemporary wrote:

  Quoting  Poe :

 

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary, Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore, While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping, As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. "'Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door -- Only this, and nothing more." Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December, And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor. Eagerly I wished the morrow;- vainly I had sought to borrow From my books surcease of sorrow -- sorrow for the lost Lenore -- For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore -- Nameless here for evermore. And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain Thrilled me -- filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before; So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating, "'Tis some visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door -- Some late visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door; -- This it is, and nothing more." Some late visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door; -- This it is, and nothing more." Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer, "Sir," said I, "or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore; But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping, And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door, That I scarce was sure I heard you" -- here I opened wide the door; -- Darkness there, and nothing more. . .

 

 

If you are interested in my poetry thread somewhere in those current 4 pages is a poem "Black Parrot" an ode to this poem. Actually more to his life than this peace of work. He never really made any living off his work and died broke. His dad disowned him for not taking over his business. My mom still loves me, but growing up as a kid my mom and dad expected me to follow a script, which I did not.  I did not do Poe justice, but I was not trying to be him, just pay him homage. Take it for what it is.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
Posts: 1376
Joined: 2011-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Thanks !!

 Thanks so much Brian37, you be sure to know I will look it up