Political Correctness & my spat with the NJ Humanists

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Political Correctness & my spat with the NJ Humanists

For your dining and dancing pleasure, my latest blog:   http://richwoodsblog.com/2012/06/03/ugly-is-as-ugly-does/

... Hope you enjoy.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 I postedBrilliant piece

I posted

Brilliant piece Rich. I thought the burka comment was funny,

This reminds me of when I’d make an obvious joke on my site or on my show and I’d get the same type of response. Someone out there would think I was serious, failing to see the satire or mockery and then make an unfair/misguided decision about me or even those associated with me. Then came their delusional story telling, spreading the meme about my hatred of women or desire to kill all theists or some other ridiculous lie.

You are right about everything you’ve said here and have said it much better than I could. This type of attitude that you dealt with here is one of the many reasons I am less involved today than I was a few years ago. The same pain I see when looking at a world full of theism is the same pain I feel when seeing how some atheists act. The world would be much better if we all had a much more keen sense of humor.

Thanks for being so strong, you rock.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I TOTALLY AGREE

I totally agree with you Rich. I am glad that someone has addressed this issue and brought it to light. It has needed to be said for quite some time. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
You become what you hate. In

You become what you hate. In her case, she's the mirror image of the biggest misogynist.

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have veered myself away

I have veered myself away from the atheist/skeptic scene. It has become an ultra-sensitive PC crowd that thrives on anger at anything perceived as being part of the evil patriarchy or white male hetero-sexist transphobic privilege. I have utmost respect for women like Susan Jacoby or Greta Christina and I do agree that sexism does rear its ugly head even among enlightened skeptics. But if I dare mention that intelligent atheists like Ashley Paramore (healthyaddict), xxxThePeachxxx or Christina Rad are hot, I would be labelled a misogynist by the radical feminist dominated atheist crowd. It's all patriarchy this or white male privilege that. If the atheist movement (whatever the fuck that means) is moving in this direction, then I'm checking out. This is probably why I have so many theist friends who at the end of the day don't give a fuck about my disbelief and like me, think about titties and beer.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I'm glad to see that

Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not alone.

The thing is, I bet every one who has responded to this thread detests the mistreatment of women... but that doesn't mean that in order to be sensitive, we have to subjugate our sexuality either. Dr Marty Klein wrote a recent article about a similar circumstance: http://sexualintelligence.wordpress.com/2012/06/11/sexual-harassment-or-unwanted-sexual-attention/

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:Well, I'm

Rich Woods wrote:

Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not alone.

The thing is, I bet every one who has responded to this thread detests the mistreatment of women... but that doesn't mean that in order to be sensitive, we have to subjugate our sexuality either. Dr Marty Klein wrote a recent article about a similar circumstance: http://sexualintelligence.wordpress.com/2012/06/11/sexual-harassment-or-unwanted-sexual-attention/

I TOTALLY agree with every word on that link and your point. 

Articles like yours and that link, need to be posted to as many places as possible. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
   What could be more

What could be more ironic than an enlightened "progressive" bigot who spews forth their own version of "hate" ?   Likewise, Shere Hite and Andrea Dworkin are the arch-type of left-wing penis-haters. Birds of a feather.