Hello from Oklahoma!

Leah
atheist
Leah's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello from Oklahoma!

Just found you guys, I linked this to my website: rivervalleycr.org hope that's OK!

I've lived in OK my whole life, a few years ago I moved from the Tulsa area to the Fort Smith/Poteau region. 33, Married with two daughters. I want to become more active in promoting secular values, the south needs it BADLY!

"normal is not a virtue"

RiverValleyCR.org

Leah
atheist
Leah's picture
User is offlineOffline
uh...

..that would be rivervalleycr.org with an "e" in valley Smiling how do you edit posts after submission?

"normal is not a virtue"

RiverValleyCR.org

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
welcome.

Leah wrote:

..that would be rivervalleycr.org with an "e" in valley Smiling how do you edit posts after submission?

At the bottom of the post is a line that should say   edit/reply/ quote/ . I use the edit button a lot my self. btw welcome on board.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Leah

I couldn't find rivervallycr.org could you supply a direct link to it?     I live near Toronto btw.  If you want to be more active in Okla, you might try these guys;  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcOgmruPJD8    otherwise post early and often.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum.

I was born and raised in New Jersey, but have been living in the Bible Belt for quite some time ( Tennessee) and I agree, we REALLY are in desperate need of more secular values here. I had a map that showed seven states where Atheists were prohibited from holding public office, somewhere. (Not too sure about the accuracy of it, but 90% were in the Bible Belt). I'll have to find it and post it on here.

I'd also have to research the laws on it and see exactly how it could be written up in such a manner. If an Atheist candidate were popular enough, I don't see how they could be prohibited from public office.

BUT, considering the fact that Atheists are fairly well hated in the Bible Belt, I can't see one gaining a popular vote.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Leah
atheist
Leah's picture
User is offlineOffline
here is an attempt to link

here is an attempt to link (I'll have to get used to the layout of this forum) here goes River Valley Coalition of Reason hmmm. I think it worked. It is a new website i am working on. Please please please if you find any errors or convoluted run on sentences (which I am known for) let me know! I need proof readers. this is me begging for help and ideas Smiling

"normal is not a virtue"

RiverValleyCR.org

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Leah. I think you

Welcome Leah. I think you will like it here from what I saw in my quick look through of your web site.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Leah
atheist
Leah's picture
User is offlineOffline
From my understanding there

From my understanding there are laws on the books regarding not allowing atheists to hold office but they cannot be enforced - technically. In all honesty though, it is not the law that enforces it - it is the voters. Atheists are very very sparse down here as is literacy and a decent education! I really want to get some billboards up eventually, if nothing else just do habituate people around here to the term "atheist" so they don't gasp and run away in horror.

"normal is not a virtue"

RiverValleyCR.org

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Leah You have a

Welcome Leah
You have a biblical name, wife of jacob, mother of several tribes of Israel. Did you have a, religious upbringing?

I hail from the southern religious state of Virginia. Atheists not popular here either. About a year or so ago I got chewed out by some southern baptist for not believing. He said I needed to get to his church and sing in the choir to get straight with the lawd. He really was agitated when I told him I was a former minister. Up close to my face he grimaced "you were a former minister and you don't believe the bible". In a huff he walked away.
I am guessing he never read it.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Leah wrote:From my

Leah wrote:

From my understanding there are laws on the books regarding not allowing atheists to hold office but they cannot be enforced - technically. In all honesty though, it is not the law that enforces it - it is the voters. Atheists are very very sparse down here as is literacy and a decent education! I really want to get some billboards up eventually, if nothing else just do habituate people around here to the term "atheist" so they don't gasp and run away in horror.

I may start another thread on this but this is what I have found thus far :

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/481749?o=2798&qsrc=999

The article states the following :

Here's exactly what Tennessee's constitution says:

ARTICLE I
Declaration of Rights
Section 4. That no political or religious test, other than an oath to support the Constitution of the United States and of this state, shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under this state.

BUT then it also says:

ARTICLE IX
Disqualifications
Section 2: No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state.

Article 19, § 1 of Arkansas's constitution provides:

No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any court.

Article VI, § 2 of South Carolina's constitution says this:

No person who denies the existence of the Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution.
North Carolina
"The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God...." Constitution Article 6 Section 8

Texas
"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being." Article 1 - Bill of Rights: Section 4

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Harley,I agree. A separate

Harley,

I agree. A separate thread would be better. 

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Leah

Leah wrote:

here is an attempt to link (I'll have to get used to the layout of this forum) here goes River Valley Coalition of Reason hmmm. I think it worked. It is a new website i am working on. Please please please if you find any errors or convoluted run on sentences (which I am known for) let me know! I need proof readers. this is me begging for help and ideas Smiling

I like the forum. You might want to put it in your signature like I have done with my blog.

Just a simple paste of the URL would work

http://www.rivervalleycr.org/

I didn't see a place on the forum to make comment, so I will make it here. Here is a quote from the forum.

Science 101 wrote:

Through Science, mankind has steadily explained natural phenomenon and answered questions that were previously the domain of religion, superstition and myth. Those who have been unwilling to accept supernatural explanations have been responsible for the incredible advancements of humanity. They did not tremble at the unknown or attribute strife and illness to mystical affliction. They pondered the heavens and our world, not in search of God, but in search of knowledge, truth and solutions.

I am an atheist and former fundie. I believe that many older scientist like Newton, Darwin, et. al. were in search of God. Hawking's in his "Briefer History of Time" also makes this point. They originally started to find God in his works (as Behe and others fail to do today). The Bible being His first book and Nature being His second book. What happen is that what they found didn't agree with the first book. They even fought against what they found. That says a lot about how powerful the evidence was against an invisible, non-material being. His footprint kept getting smaller and smaller. To me this makes a stronger case for agnosticism/atheism. It even mirrored my path out of the delusion.

Hawking's say Newton believed in absolute space even though his theory clearly lead elsewhere. There is no standard of rest (the earth) like Aristotle stated. Hawkings says Einstein even had trouble with his theory because he believed in absolute time and made adjustments to it which he later chastised himself for doing.  

So I can agree with Christians who point out many earlier scientist were Christians and take them from there that these Christian/scientist theories went against a personal deity, in particular Jahweh/Jesus. And point out how these christian scientist met with antagonism & persecution from the Church. The Christian church has always demonstrated an unwillingness to accept science, yet in baby steps, they eventually do. In time the cognitive dissonance becomes too loud to ignore.

Religion Kills !!!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! To edit a

Welcome!

To edit a response, look at the bottom of the post.
To edit a topic, you have to look at the top of the page, right under the topic title. It should say view and edit, like tabs in the windows browser. View is highlighted. Click edit and you can edit the opening post of the topic. I'll fix this for you though, since I'm here anyway. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.