TRUTH

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
TRUTH

TRUTH

This little word has caused many problems for the agnostics under the disguise of atheists. This new "atheist" who has befriended

me has come to realize that he is an agnostic. When I introduced him as my agnostic friend, he later told me

it just doesn't have the "punch" as if I were to introduce him as an atheist. lol. I figure that Sapient and his crowd

enjoy the punch instead of the dance in the party.

But it would be interesting to discuss "truth." How is it measured via the instruments of the agnostic? What is it? There has been different views of truth throughout the years.

Truth is that which works (August Comte).

Truth is common (Thomas Paine)

Truth is Form (Plato)

Truth is observed (Aristotle)

Truth is measured (Rene Descartes)

Truth is non Truth (Hegel)

So, with all these different views, how does the agnostic decide what truth is? Some have said truth does not exist, some say it does. Most professors say it doesn't exist.

Can the agnostic know truth? Is it true that Salmon swin in rivers? Is it true that the sky is blue?

Regarding color, what is true about blue? Is blue true? or is blue just is?

So please understand, I wish to understand your view on truth. Is truth simply that which is correct?

And via the probablity principle of ratio, How do you qualify truth from error in relation to the common means of what is? Is it purely subjective or is there any universal principle connected to truth in this sense?

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
don't shout at us, you poor

don't shout at us, you poor devil attached to the scriptures!

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Jean Chauvin wrote:

TRUTH

This little word has caused many problems for the agnostics under the disguise of atheists. This new "atheist" who has befriended me has come to realize that he is an agnostic.

Still only talking to him and yet to see him.

Still taking the 'harden pharaohs heart' approach being so obnoxious you make it impossible for anyone to meet you half way. This approach continues to make you happy.

Wait till your friend shows himself and you see what he looks like.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Jean Jean

Jean Jean Jean,

Your remind me of a kid that lived across the street from me. His parents made him come straight home from school and change out of his nerd clothes. They had a fenced in yard right across the street from the playground that he could never play outside of, so he had to just watch all the other kids having fun every day.  I knew it was his stupid parents' fault that he was a little brat, so I would always feel sorry for him and go play with him for a while.  Eventually he would forget that I was just being kind and sympathetic. So when he'd start his little panzy show I would have to shove his face in the sandbox or make him eat a cat turd.  Evil

I'll play with you Jean.  I think you already know my view of "truth'.  It's stated in my signature.  But I like to use the term 'living truth', and that should be self-explanatory.  I don't know what you're talking about with ratios. Are you trying to measure the probabilty of your Jesus being the son of a god?

And I'll pretend that your little friend is real for a moment. Why are you trying to convince him he's agnostic? Please tell me what you said to him to make him realize he wasn't an atheist?

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
mod

Jean,

I think you're going in reverse. First we find what exists, what is, and then we call it "TRUTH". Saying "TRUTH" first and then finding something that adapt to that word will lead you nowhere.

In Rationality,

my brain.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Please be kind enough to answer people . . . .

Jean Chauvin wrote:

TRUTH

This little word has caused many problems for the agnostics under the disguise of atheists

Can the agnostic know truth?

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Better question .. does this have any ring of truth to you ?

A god with the name of EnKi  eats fruit from trees planted by a mother goddess named Ninhursag (gathered from a womb of a goddess). Ninhursag is known as mother of all living creatures. Ninhursag becomes enraged declares a death curse.  Enki becomes very ill but then Ninhursag takes pity on him and creates eight healing gods/goddesses to heal the eight wounded parts of Enki's body including a goddess named Ninti. The Fruit he ate caused Enki to fall ill. Enki felt pain in his rib, which is a pun in Sumerian, as the word "ti" means both "rib" and "life. The other gods persuaded Ninhursag to relent. Ninhursag then created  the last goddess again named Ninti, (a name made up of "Nin", or "lady", plus "ti", and which can be translated as both Lady of Living and Lady of the Rib), to cure Enki.  The story has a clear parallel with Eve's creation from Adam's rib, but given that the pun with rib is present only in the Sumerian language, but linguistic criticism  places the Sumerian account as far more ancient. Did you see what I pointed out ?

There are  many  parts of  the OT that people have problems with.  Given what I've just written.  How do you deal with these problem areas ?

:

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The "truth" jackass, is that

The "truth" jackass, is that which can be tested falsified, verified and independently peer reviewed. What you are doing here is mental masturbation.

"These people were smart so therefore my particular sky daddy claim is the one "truth".

Dali Lama is smart, but you aren't a Buddhist. There are Muslims and Jews who have PHDs but you are not a Muslim or a Jew.

Gravity is true, evolution is true. What you are doing here is mental garbage.

Oh and to all reading this, if you are wondering why I called Jean a jackass, it is because in another thread on this board he claimed that his god allowed the Japanese Tsunami, which killed 13,000 people, not as a warning to Japan, but to America to find his God. Nice of him to hide behind a being willing to take a third party hostage.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

nlozano
User is offlineOffline
There is a problem when

There is a problem when people claim something to be of truth value when in fact it isn't and TRUTH is not something that should be closely associated with religion actually because there is no truth value to it.  It should be something that is to be presented without bias.  I mean it is not something that you could start arguing with someone and talk about how true your religion is as compared to what they have because that is just not how things go.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello nlozano.

nlozano wrote:

There is a problem when people claim something to be of truth value when in fact it isn't and TRUTH is not something that should be closely associated with religion actually because there is no truth value to it.  It should be something that is to be presented without bias.  I mean it is not something that you could start arguing with someone and talk about how true your religion is as compared to what they have because that is just not how things go.

There is a quote going around here on someones signature, that I like a lot, I can't remember it exactly but it is something like "respect the man who seeks the truth but fear the man who claims he found it.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
What is truth ...

What is truth asked the doubting Peter and turned before he could receive an answer.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
All because of Ultimate Truth .. ..

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

What is truth asked the doubting Peter and turned before he could receive an answer.

Smiling As you say, "Going off in a huff is a common bluff."

danatemporary wrote:

A god with the name of EnKi  eats fruit from trees planted by a goddess named Ninhursag (gathered from a womb of a goddess). Ninhursag is known as mother of all living creatures. Ninhursag becomes enraged declares a death curse.  Enki becomes very ill but then Ninhursag takes pity on him and creates eight healing gods/goddesses to heal the eight wounded parts of Enki's body including a goddess named Ninti. The Fruit he ate caused Enki to fall ill. Enki felt pain in his rib, which is a pun in Sumerian, as the word "ti" means both "rib" and "life. The other gods persuaded Ninhursag to relent. Ninhursag then created  the last goddess again named Ninti, (a name made up of "Nin", or "lady", plus "ti", and which can be translated as both Lady of Living and Lady of the Rib), to cure Enki.  The story has a clear parallel with Eve's creation from Adam's rib, but given that the pun with rib is present only in the Sumerian language, but linguistic criticism  places the Sumerian account as far more ancient. Did you see what I pointed out ?

There are  many  parts of  the OT that people have problems with.  Given what I've just written.  How do you deal with these problem areas ?

For the sake of context only ,Muchacho. Here is the verse:

"And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place.  Then the rib which the Lord God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man "

I d wonder if he is able to contrast  between the deeply-informed interpretation  and nothing more than that which is designated  by tradition /dogma, all in the name of ultimate TRUTH?  Especially when it comes to the first half of Genesis Ch. II

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

danatemporary wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Smiling As you say, "Going off in a huff is a common bluff."

I find these non-scientists, these unnatural philsophers, quite well qualified to sell life insurance. They have this amusing tendency to talk about abstract nouns as though they were concrete nouns at least as undergrads. The PhDs learn to hide it better.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml