Making debate flash cards, would like input.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Making debate flash cards, would like input.

Hey, I'm trying to put together a collection of religious debate flash cards to sell for like $5 or $10 to help finance a backpacking trip and I was wondering what you guys might think should be included in the cards.

I already spent a week putting together 20-40 cards on each of the major religions, their beliefs, texts, founders, etc. I was thinking about including cards on logical fallacies, commonly used arguments, disgusting bible/koran passages, historical events like the crusades, imprisoning Galileo, the Catholic child rape scandal, useful science tibits like the 2nd law of thermodynamics, etc.

I think it'd be really cool and useful to have all this information in one place, in flash card format to help people pull this information out from the top of their head in the middle of a debate. Hypothetically, if you were interested in such cards, what would you want to see in them?

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Okay.

Galilao was excommonicated from the Catholic church;   Hitler never was.

"it takes more FAITH to be an atheist then to be a believer."  Are you saying 'only atheists have religion'  ;  go get a dictionary!!!

"I do not imbibe for I am a good christian";  read the four (4) gospels; and I do mean READ them, the Jesus charactor not only drinks wine and changes water into wine BUT he delievers one of his few DIRECT ORDERS about alcahol consumption. "Drink this in rememberence of me"  while shoving the goblet of wine into an apostles hands.  

Seperating Church from State;   the Jesus charactor said  "render unto Caeser that which is Caesers and render unto God that which is Gods".  Another DIRECT ORDER from  the Jesus character:   Church & State are different; keep them that way!!!!!!

Does this help?

edit[   moderator needed:    can anyone seperate THAT mess into seperate paragraphs????dj

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
The ontological argument

http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.com.au/2009/01/on-plantingas-ontological-argument.html

They have other stuff too.

Another angle is to examine how all religions are clearly man made. Many were formed, evolved and then died. They all involve persuading people to behave in a certain way and all borrow from other religions that exist in their history in order to appeal to the punters.

Recent examples are Mormonism, Cargo Cults, Scientology, Armstrongism.

All cultures have creation myths. They vary greatly.

Why would Christianity, Judaism, Islam etc. be any different?

Each will say that they are right and the others are mistaken. Suspicious.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
As a rule of thumb I do not

As a rule of thumb I do not debate faith. It's like trying to convince a Pittsburgh Steelers fan that the Dallas Cowboys are a better Super Bowl team or vice versa.

It's really a waste of time and resources.

If people start to use 'faith' as their weapon of choice I immediately stop the discussion and point out that I previously stated any thing to do with 'faith' is non-debatable including any of my own personal "non-science" and "non-factual" opinions.

Once you get them to realize that everything they believe in is based on faith the discussion ends, thus proving that debating religion between a theist and a atheist is pointless.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know but...

I'm not making these flash cards for myself. I no longer debate people for this exact reason. It's pointless to try to reason with someone who doesn't accept that reality exists independent of what they think or feel. I like to say "I don't debate theists for the same reason I don't debate the existence of Santa with five year olds." 

That doesn't change the fact though that there are still plenty of people out there that haven't realized the futility of talking to religious people, and they're my target market.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I think Louis just wrote a

I think Louis just wrote a blog with six points that could easily fit on a card and cover virtually all, if not all, stupid theist arguments.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/simple_6_points

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote: I'm not

Medievalguy wrote:

I'm not making these flash cards for myself. I no longer debate people for this exact reason. It's pointless to try to reason with someone who doesn't accept that reality exists independent of what they think or feel. I like to say "I don't debate theists for the same reason I don't debate the existence of Santa with five year olds." 

That doesn't change the fact though that there are still plenty of people out there that haven't realized the futility of talking to religious people, and they're my target market.

Then I suggest you make a flash card stating "I do not debate faith because faith is a personal opinion" 

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Opie

Opie,

Debate flash cards? lol. you need to get a life. lol.

What the heck is this? flash cards for debate? Are you going to make is like the pokemon cards and have kids collect them?

um, lol,

Well, you could use the Atheist Debater's Handbook. Even though most atheists find the book weak, it may have good stuff for pokemon atheist flash cards.

It's on amazon i believe.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).