Hello! An introduction thread in the introduction section

Jabberwocky
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hello! An introduction thread in the introduction section

Hi there, new guy here. Found this forum after watching the Nightline debate featuring Sapient and Kelly vs. Kirk Cameron and Ray "banana" Comfort

I grew up in a Catholic household in Canada, with immigrant parents. While I didn't always wrestle with faith, I certainly didn't buy every part about it (I never once believed that the cracker and wine became the body and blood of Christ, as that suggestion is plainly absurd to put it lightly). The one good thing that came of this religious upbringing was being introduced to the pipe organ, which I continue to play (mind you, in a church, as it's certainly not a diverse occupation). Despite the attendance, I am an atheist. It was actually quite the mental road to get from where I was to where I am. It started with believing the Catholic sacrament of confession to be quite useless, or even destructive. Once I stopped going to that, the rest of it just fell like dominos. A few years worth of dominos.

Anyhow, glad to be aboard.

Theists - If your god is omnipotent, remember the following: He (or she) has the cure for cancer, but won't tell us what it is.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Be sure and grab your

Be sure and grab your "heathen" card, barbecue kitten recipe book, but you are limited to one rape and pillage per day until you prove that you have ripped the mattress tag off your mattress and have recorded the NFL without their permission.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another Canadian,

Another Canadian, welcome!

I should do a poll on locale of site members. I think we're starting to become a majority here. XD

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome JW . You said

Welcome JW . You said "attendance" so I'm assuming you play in service. Won't they let you go there and play off regular business hours? (yes I said business hours)

If that's the case, then I'm assuming you go there and pretend to be a believer and participate in their rituals. That's kinda bizarre.

Am I just confused?

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia

Jabberwocky
atheist
User is offlineOffline
It's a side-job. Something

It's a side-job. Something I enjoy doing, and get paid to do it. I certainly don't participate in anything aside from sitting there and playing the music.

Theists - If your god is omnipotent, remember the following: He (or she) has the cure for cancer, but won't tell us what it is.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jabberwocky wrote:It's a

Jabberwocky wrote:

It's a side-job. Something I enjoy doing, and get paid to do it. I certainly don't participate in anything aside from sitting there and playing the music.

So you sit in church playing with your organ and getting paid for it, all I ever got was slapped by my mother for doing the same damn thing, without the keyboard & peddles.  Welcome to the site I'm in Mississauga near Toronto. You?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Jeffrick wrote:Jabberwocky

Jeffrick wrote:

Jabberwocky wrote:

So you sit in church playing with your organ and getting paid for it, all I ever got was slapped by my mother for doing the same damn thing, without the keyboard & peddles.  Welcome to the site I'm in Mississauga near Toronto. You?

Damn you! Beat me to the joke.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum

Former Catholic here as well. I used to be a devout believer and it was a long and difficult journey before I realized the god belief was nonsense. 

I never listened to the pipe organs much, however I do like the sounds of those gregorian chants. I found out that if you take a girl home, put on that type of  new age chanting, light alot of candles and have flowers laying around, they are easier to take to bed. ( Of course, that was in the days when I was single) . 

Welcome to the forum, have fun.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Jabberwocky
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Jeffrick

Brian37 wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

Jabberwocky wrote:

Damn you! Beat me to the joke.

The official organist joke:

What's better than roses on your piano?

Tulips on your organ.